Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > BGP Question !!

BGP Question !!

mdargin@msn.com

What is the purpose of having just the: address family ip4 command
configured in BGP. What is the real world purpose of it? I know it is
off by default but what do I gain from having it configured.

I am confused by Cisco's websites explanation of it that it enables
routing session such as BGP to use standard IP version 4 address
prefixes.
What are standard IP version 4 address prefixes. I thought BGP by
default routes IP 4

I am confused by this.

The router that I inherited configuration looks like this.

Router Bgp 208
address-family ip4

Thank You for any responses

Merv

Address family command was introduced with Multiprotocol BGP (MBGP) to
be able to support:

ipv4 unicast
ipv4 multicast
ipv4 vrf
ipv6 unicast
ipv6 multicast

theapplebee theapplebee is offline
Member
Location: USA

Since Cisco support IPv6, separated routing schema is needed IPv4 and Ipv6 routing table...so.