Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > how to set up switch, PIX and router using VLANs

how to set up switch, PIX and router using VLANs

Ryan

i've got a 2950 switch, 2611 router and 515 pix
i want to set them up so that i route different VLANs through the firewall
i plan to set the equipment up in this order

-----------------------
| |
| router |
| |
-----------------------

-----------------------
| |
| pix |
| |
-----------------------

-----------------------
| |
| switch |
| |
-----------------------

is this correct?

Walter Roberson

In article <2006102416165216807-ryanmosh@gmailcom>,
Ryan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>i've got a 2950 switch, 2611 router and 515 pix
>i want to set them up so that i route different VLANs through the firewall
>i plan to set the equipment up in this order
>
>-----------------------
>| |
>| router |
>| |
>-----------------------
> |

>-----------------------
>| |
>| pix |
>| |
>-----------------------

>| |
>| switch |
>| |

>is this correct?

You cannot route VLANs individually on a PIX, unless you are using
7.x software and VRF (Virtual Router Facility) so that each VLAN sees
a different router table. (Though there might be other selective
routing mechanisms in 7.x that I haven't happened to encounter yet.)