Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > console on telnet ?

console on telnet ?

Chris

Hi group,

I want to see my debug logs on my 1760 on a telnet connection,
and not the rs232 console port anymore. Is this possible, and how ?

Thanks for any input !

- Chris

Arnold Nipper

On 16.10.2006 20:20 Chris wrote

> Hi group,
>
> I want to see my debug logs on my 1760 on a telnet connection,
> and not the rs232 console port anymore. Is this possible, and how ?

Do a

my1760# terminal ?

monitor Copy debug output to the current terminal line
no Negate a command or set its defaults

I.e. "terminal monitor" to receive debug output and "no terminal
monitor" to turn this feature off.

Arnold

Bod43@hotmail.co.uk

Arnold Nipper wrote:
> On 16.10.2006 20:20 Chris wrote
>
> > Hi group,
> >
> > I want to see my debug logs on my 1760 on a telnet connection,
> > and not the rs232 console port anymore. Is this possible, and how ?
> >

> Do a
>
> my1760# terminal ?
>
> monitor Copy debug output to the current terminal line
> no Negate a command or set its defaults
>
> I.e. "terminal monitor" to receive debug output and "no terminal
> monitor" to turn this feature off.

Hi,

terminal monitor ! is the way to go

however you may also need to make sure that
the "monitor" logging level is correct although
"debugging" is the default.

router#sh log
<snipped>
Monitor logging: level debugging, 0 messages logged, xml disabled,
filtering disabled

Finally, and surprisingly, to turn it off it is
not " no term mon" but is

term no mon

sadly.

Example
#sh term
<snipped>
Capabilities: none

#term mon

#sh term
<snipped>
Capabilities: Receives Logging Output

#term no mon
#sh term
<snipped>
Capabilities: none

Good luck.

alexpzhou@gmail.com

"Terminal no monitor" actually.

Arnold Nipper wrote:
> On 16.10.2006 20:20 Chris wrote
>
> > Hi group,
> >
> > I want to see my debug logs on my 1760 on a telnet connection,
> > and not the rs232 console port anymore. Is this possible, and how ?
> >

> Do a
>
> my1760# terminal ?
>
> monitor Copy debug output to the current terminal line
> no Negate a command or set its defaults
>
> I.e. "terminal monitor" to receive debug output and "no terminal
> monitor" to turn this feature off.
>

> Arnold

Aaron Leonard

As others have noted, use the exec command "terminal [no] monitor" to control
whether the syslog output appears in your vty.

Use the global config mode command "[no] logging console" to control
whether the syslog output appears on the console port. In general, it is
best practice to have "no logging console" in effect on a production router.
This is because router activity will pause to dequeue console messages, so
if the router is generating syslog messages at a higher rate than the console
port can dequeue them, you will experience a seemingly "hung" router.

Aaron

---

~ Hi group,
~