Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Linksys GIG v's Cisco Gig

Linksys GIG v's Cisco Gig

Gary

I can buy a linksys GIG Switch for about $400 while the same port density on
a Cisco costs $3000

If I do not need any of the bells and whistles like VLAN's/QoS etc. can I
assume the Linksys will perform at the same speeds and performance.

As Cisco have bought em I assume they were becoming a threat in some way.

Walter Roberson

In article <iC9Yg.7803$eZ4.3331@dukeread06>, Gary <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I can buy a linksys GIG Switch for about $400 while the same port density on
>a Cisco costs $3000

>If I do not need any of the bells and whistles like VLAN's/QoS etc. can I
>assume the Linksys will perform at the same speeds and performance.

No, that's not a good assumption at all; it would be false for most
inexpensive gigabit switches. And unfortunately it is often quite
difficult to find independant reviews that aren't just a rewriting
of the advertising brochure.

Someone did point out an inexpensive linksys to me recently, for which
I -was- able to find a positive independant review; it was the SD2008
(a design from a couple of years ago), and the review is at
http://soltesz.net/sd2008/part3.html
It's pretty good considering the price, but it does *not* get
gigabit at minimum packet size (which is what Cisco measures),
and the latency creeps up with packet size. The SD2008 is completely
unmanaged. I found a number of reviews that says that the fan on it
is quite noisy and that it runs hot; one review said it ran quiet and
cool, so it is possible they changed the fan design along the way.

Gary

"Walter Roberson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> In article <iC9Yg.7803$eZ4.3331@dukeread06>, Gary <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>>I can buy a linksys GIG Switch for about $400 while the same port density
>>on
>>a Cisco costs $3000

>>If I do not need any of the bells and whistles like VLAN's/QoS etc. can I
>>assume the Linksys will perform at the same speeds and performance.

> No, that's not a good assumption at all; it would be false for most
> inexpensive gigabit switches. And unfortunately it is often quite
> difficult to find independant reviews that aren't just a rewriting
> of the advertising brochure.
>
> Someone did point out an inexpensive linksys to me recently, for which
> I -was- able to find a positive independant review; it was the SD2008
> (a design from a couple of years ago), and the review is at
> http://soltesz.net/sd2008/part3.html
> It's pretty good considering the price, but it does *not* get
> gigabit at minimum packet size (which is what Cisco measures),
> and the latency creeps up with packet size. The SD2008 is completely
> unmanaged. I found a number of reviews that says that the fan on it
> is quite noisy and that it runs hot; one review said it ran quiet and
> cool, so it is possible they changed the fan design along the way.

Trying to find reviews of the SR2024 and tech sheet but there is precious
little. Blurb says:
The 24-Port 10/100/1000 Gigabit Switch provides non-blocking, wire speed
switching

Price comarison is $400 v's $Loads for anything Gig from Cisco.

Gary

Walter Roberson

In article <L6bYg.7808$eZ4.4268@dukeread06>, Gary <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Trying to find reviews of the SR2024 and tech sheet but there is precious
>little. Blurb says:
>The 24-Port 10/100/1000 Gigabit Switch provides non-blocking, wire speed
>switching

Consider the SRW2024 instead -- at least you'll get WebView so
you can do some remote configuration.

The SR2024 and SRW2024 both review as having a loud fan.

Real information... hard to find. There's some nuggets here,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Custra...82E16833124049

I found a mid-sized thread from someone using the SRW's who couldn't
get more than 300 Mbit/s throughput; no-one was able to come up
with anything that helped his particular situation (whatever the
actual cause was.) There was a useful resource in there,

http://www.enterprisenetworkingplane...le.php/3485486
"Squeeze Your Gigabit NIC for Top Performance"

I skimmed over lots of other links, but the rest was just fluff or
ads or people asking whether anyone knew anything about them...