Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Cisco for load balancing w/o BGP

Cisco for load balancing w/o BGP

Yoann Roman

I'm wondering if any of you are familiar with a Cisco product that provides
outbound load balancing over several links w/o using BGP.

Basically, Cisco's equivalent to:
- Linksys RV082: http://tinyurl.com/myauh
- SonicWall PRO 3060: http://www.sonicwall.com/products/pro3060.html
- And the like...

I figure that, since a Cisco-based Linksys device offers this, there must be
a more enterprise Cisco product offering it, too, but the Cisco reps I've
talked to haven't been very helpful.

Thanks,

--
Yoann Roman

Barry Margolin

In article
<OL8Xg.247449$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Yoann Roman" <(E-Mail Removed)-bypass.gatech.edu> wrote:

> I'm wondering if any of you are familiar with a Cisco product that provides
> outbound load balancing over several links w/o using BGP.

Just configure multiple default routes, and it will load share over all
of them.

--
Barry Margolin, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
Arlington, MA

Yoann Roman

>> I'm wondering if any of you are familiar with a Cisco product that
>> provides outbound load balancing over several links w/o using BGP.

> Just configure multiple default routes, and it will load share over
> all of them.

That's not what the Cisco SE's have been telling me. They're suggesting
using CEF on top of multiple default routes to get any type of load
balancing. It's apparently not as robust as other solutions by SonicWall /
FatPipe/ F5, but it seems to be Cisco's answer right now.

Anyone ever used CEF?

--
Yoann Roman

Barry Margolin

In article <eep1h.151947$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Yoann Roman" <(E-Mail Removed)-bypass.gatech.edu> wrote:

> >> I'm wondering if any of you are familiar with a Cisco product that
> >> provides outbound load balancing over several links w/o using BGP.

> > Just configure multiple default routes, and it will load share over
> > all of them.

> That's not what the Cisco SE's have been telling me. They're suggesting
> using CEF on top of multiple default routes to get any type of load
> balancing. It's apparently not as robust as other solutions by SonicWall /
> FatPipe/ F5, but it seems to be Cisco's answer right now.
>
> Anyone ever used CEF?

You need to use CEF if you want per-packet load balancing without excess
overhead. If you don't enable CEF, the default is per-destination load
balancing, unless you turn off the route-cache, but that can have
serious performance impact.

--
Barry Margolin, (E-Mail Removed)
Arlington, MA

Yoann Roman

>>> Just configure multiple default routes, and it will load share over
>>> all of them.

>> That's not what the Cisco SE's have been telling me. They're
>> suggesting using CEF on top of multiple default routes to get any
>> type of load balancing. It's apparently not as robust as other
>> solutions by SonicWall / FatPipe/ F5, but it seems to be Cisco's
>> answer right now.
>>
>> Anyone ever used CEF?

> You need to use CEF if you want per-packet load balancing without
> excess overhead. If you don't enable CEF, the default is
> per-destination load balancing, unless you turn off the route-cache,
> but that can have serious performance impact.

What about getting per connection load balancing (with TCP, not UDP
obviously)?

That's the approach I've seem implemented on alternative products. Based on
what the Cisco SE said, CIOS only has per destination or per packet load
balancing, but no round robin per connection load balancing.

Thanks.

--
Yoann Roman

Barry Margolin

In article <BpJ1h.156531$(E-Mail Removed)>,

> >> That's not what the Cisco SE's have been telling me. They're
> >> suggesting using CEF on top of multiple default routes to get any
> >> type of load balancing. It's apparently not as robust as other
> >> solutions by SonicWall / FatPipe/ F5, but it seems to be Cisco's
> >> answer right now.
> >>
> >> Anyone ever used CEF?

> > You need to use CEF if you want per-packet load balancing without
> > excess overhead. If you don't enable CEF, the default is
> > per-destination load balancing, unless you turn off the route-cache,
> > but that can have serious performance impact.

> What about getting per connection load balancing (with TCP, not UDP
> obviously)?

IIRC, one of the options with CEF is per-flow load balancing.

--
Barry Margolin, (E-Mail Removed)
Arlington, MA

Yoann Roman

>>> You need to use CEF if you want per-packet load balancing without
>>> excess overhead. If you don't enable CEF, the default is
>>> per-destination load balancing, unless you turn off the route-cache,
>>> but that can have serious performance impact.

>> What about getting per connection load balancing (with TCP, not UDP
>> obviously)?

> IIRC, one of the options with CEF is per-flow load balancing.

That would be nice, but I don't see it. Per-packet or per-destination are
the only types that it seems to support unless I'm missing something
obvious.

Configuring a Load-Balancing Scheme for CEF Traffic:
http://tinyurl.com/yhzszu

What I'm getting at with per-connection is that, based on the above, if I'm
downloading 2 large files from one site, only one link will be used while
the others just sit idle.

Thanks,

--
Yoann Roman