Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > C2960 config - What do the commands do

C2960 config - What do the commands do

Martin

Hi,

I have a simple switch configuration, but I have some lines in the
configuration I do not understand. Can you help?

no service pad
service timestamps debug uptime
service timestamps log datetime
service password-encryption
service sequence-numbers
!
no aaa new-model
clock timezone UTC 1
clock summer-time UTC recurring last Sun Mar 2:00 last Sun Oct 3:00
ip subnet-zero
!
!
!
!
no file verify auto
spanning-tree mode pvst
spanning-tree extend system-id
!
vlan internal allocation policy ascending
!
control-plane

Best Regards
Martin

Everyman

Hi,
however its reasonably to see official cisco IOS definition of these
commands
I try to write some notes from my head and cco.

> no service pad

switch off pad protocol on the router.

Packet Assembly and Disassembly (PAD) is used for sending and
receiving "raw" data over IP networks. The modem takes care of
establishing IP network connections, as well as the encapsulation
of data within UDP or TCP packets. This eliminates the need for a
TCP/IP stack running on the host device.

> service timestamps debug uptime

switch on the service of timestamping each debug log (when you type any
debug command) the router produces.
But in opposed to "datetime" you use "uptime".

> service timestamps log datetime

The same what above, but applied to regular log data.

> service password-encryption

switch on cisco algorithm to hide clear text password (enable, telnet etc)
and instead show this password as a meaningless string (ggtrg9543ygtrhth).
In opposed to hash algorithm (e.g. MD5) its eassy to decipher this string to
original password.

> service sequence-numbers

To enable visible sequence numbering of system logging messages, use the
service sequence-numbers command in global configuration mode.
Each system status messages logged in the system logging process have a
sequence reference number applied. This command makes that number visible by
displaying it with the message. The sequence number is displayed as the
first part of the system status message.

For example:

000066: .Mar 22 15:35:57 PST: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by
console

> no aaa new-model

You do not going to use AAA model (authentication, authorization and
accounting).

> clock timezone UTC 1

You set UTC time zone.
UTC is Coordinated Universal Time.
"1" after UTC means one hour shift, i.e. this is UTC+1=CET (and some others,
BST, IST, WEST)
CET is Central European Time.

> clock summer-time UTC recurring last Sun Mar 2:00 last Sun Oct 3:00

Configure the system to automatically switch to summer time (daylight saving
time).

> ip subnet-zero

You want to save and use the first subent (subnet zero).
This sybnet has the same network address what main network (the subnetted
one) but longer subnet mask
For example:

10.0.0.0/8 is main network
10.0.0.0/24 is subnet zero of this network.
With the commands "no ip subnet-zero" You are not allowed to use this
subnet.
Then You can use 10.0.1.0/24 subnet as the first usable subnet.

> no file verify auto

switch off automatic verification of cisco files.
When You copy some files to your router its safe to verify theirs control
sum.
For example:

copy /verify tftp://10.1.1.1/jdoe/c7200-js-mz disk0:
verify disk0:c7200-js-mz
reload /verify

With this feature switch on You do not need to do this, insted router do
this automatically.

> spanning-tree mode pvst

You want to run pvst (per-Vlan spannig tree) mode od spanning tree protocol.
It means that in every vlan throughout your switched network
seperate instance of STP frames will be running. Its good only for small
number of vlans. In other cases its safe to use MST (multiple spanning tree)

> spanning-tree extend system-id

Enable the extended system ID feature on a chassis that supports 1024 MAC
addresses.Releases 12.1(13)E and later support chassis with 64 or 1024 MAC
addresses. For chassis with 64 MAC addresses, STP uses the extended system
ID plus a MAC address to make the bridge ID unique for each VLAN.

> vlan internal allocation policy ascending

It configures the Internal Vlan allocation policy. You can choose between
"ascending" and "descending".
Enter the ascending keyword to allocate internal VLANs from 1006 and up.
Enter the descending keyword to allocate internal VLAN from 4094 and down.
1006-4094 - this is extended range of etherenet-only vlans, they are not
propagated by vtp protocol.

> control-plane

switch on control plane policing.
The Control Plane Policing feature allows users to configure a quality of
service (QoS) filter that manages the traffic flow of control plane packets
to protect the control plane of Cisco IOS routers and switches against
reconnaissance and denial-of-service (DoS) attacks. In this way, the control
plane (CP) can help maintain packet forwarding and protocol states despite
an attack or heavy traffic load on the router or switch.

***
More about these you can find on cisco.com in public area without CCO
access.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/home/home.htm

Regards,
Wlodek.

Martin

Everyman wrote:
> [...]

> Enter the ascending keyword to allocate internal VLANs from 1006 and up.
> Enter the descending keyword to allocate internal VLAN from 4094 and down.
> 1006-4094 - this is extended range of etherenet-only vlans, they are not
> propagated by vtp protocol.
>

>>control-plane

> switch on control plane policing.
> The Control Plane Policing feature allows users to configure a quality of
> service (QoS) filter that manages the traffic flow of control plane packets
> to protect the control plane of Cisco IOS routers and switches against
> reconnaissance and denial-of-service (DoS) attacks. In this way, the control
> plane (CP) can help maintain packet forwarding and protocol states despite
> an attack or heavy traffic load on the router or switch.
>
> ***
> More about these you can find on cisco.com in public area without CCO

Great
Thank you Wlodek

Best Regards
Martin

Manie1982 Manie1982 is offline
Junior Member

      6 Days Ago
Good Day guys

I am given this assignment to complete the switch setup for 2960

To tell the truth, I am lost between lines of command and I cant seem to make them up and complete my assignment.

o service pad
service timestamps debug uptime
service timestamps log uptime
service password-encryption
!
hostname Campus-Core-SW01
!
boot-start-marker
boot-end-marker
!
enable secret Kuboma82
enable password P@ssw0rd
!
!
!

!
!
ip name-server 172.16.254.2
!
!
spanning-tree mode pvst
spanning-tree extend system-id
!
!
!
!
vlan internal allocation policy ascending
!
!
!
interface FastEthernet0
no ip address
shutdown
!
!
interface GigabitEthernet1/0/2
description Cyberoam_LAN
switchport mode trunk
spanning-tree portfast
!
interface GigabitEthernet1/0/6
description Connected to Ruckus Wireless Director
switchport mode trunk
spanning-tree portfast
!
interface Vlan1
ip address 172.16.254.8 255.255.255.0
no ip redirects
!
!
ip default-gateway 172.16.254.1
ip http server
ip http secure-server
!
!
line con 0
password P@ssw0rd

login
line vty 0 4
password P@ssw0rd
login
line vty 5 15
password P@ssw0rd
login
!
!
end

Can someone please make up the commands for this? I am getting a lot of errors on my packet tracer.

Thank you