Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Newbie: Cisco 2501 reboots?

Newbie: Cisco 2501 reboots?

Felipe Gac Tapia

A Cisco 2501 router was recently donated to me and I have a few questions in
regards to using the console connection. I am new at all this and I
apologize in advance if this question seems to easy.

I am able to access the routers configuration from my computer, using the
console cable. The router has 1 ethernet and 2 serial ports, which are not
connected to anything. My main concern is that when I have the terminal
session open, the router seems to reboot every 15-20 minutes. The only
thing that I see on the terminal screen is the login:

Router con0 is now available

Prese RETURN to get started.

The routers uptime is not affected. I am not positive on this, but it seems
to happen if I dont type anything. Is this normal behavior?

My second question is: Can I copy the config file to my computer, without an
existing ethernet connection?

Thanks in advance!

---

d.mayne1@gmail.com

Yes this is normal. The timeout is logging you off automatically.
No you cant upgrade/change the IOS with just a con0 connection on the
2500s. Others yes, but not the 2500s.
Google is your friend...
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...08007fba0.html

Felipe Gac Tapia wrote:
> A Cisco 2501 router was recently donated to me and I have a few

questions in
> regards to using the console connection. I am new at all this and I
> apologize in advance if this question seems to easy.
>
> I am able to access the routers configuration from my computer, using

the
> console cable. The router has 1 ethernet and 2 serial ports, which

are not
> connected to anything. My main concern is that when I have the

terminal
> session open, the router seems to reboot every 15-20 minutes. The

only
> thing that I see on the terminal screen is the login:
>
> Router con0 is now available
>
> Prese RETURN to get started.
>
> The routers uptime is not affected. I am not positive on this, but

it seems
> to happen if I dont type anything. Is this normal behavior?
>
> My second question is: Can I copy the config file to my computer,

without an
> existing ethernet connection?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>

> ---

Ivan Ostreš

In article <VqPTd.1395$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> I am able to access the routers configuration from my computer, using the
> console cable. The router has 1 ethernet and 2 serial ports, which are not
> connected to anything. My main concern is that when I have the terminal
> session open, the router seems to reboot every 15-20 minutes. The only
> thing that I see on the terminal screen is the login:
>
> Router con0 is now available
>
> Prese RETURN to get started.
>
> The routers uptime is not affected. I am not positive on this, but it seems
> to happen if I dont type anything. Is this normal behavior?

Your router is probably not rebooting. It is just logging you off when
'inactive' timeout period runs out. You can "fix" that by adding:

conf t
line con 0
exec-timeout 0 0
end
wr

> My second question is: Can I copy the config file to my computer, without an
> existing ethernet connection?

Yes, you can. Just do a 'show run' and copy configuration from the
terminal window to notepad (or similar program) and just save it
somewhere on your computer.

HTH,

--
-Ivan.

cable-modem->d-link 614+-> cisco 3620->cisco 2501->my workstation setup help Lorre Cisco 0 07-25-2004 05:57 PM
difference between Cisco 2501 and Cisco pro 2501? Vin Cisco 3 11-18-2003 07:31 PM
DRAM for Cisco 2501 Lowell Cisco 2 10-21-2003 04:58 PM
Cisco 2501 and transceiver Lowell Cisco 2 10-17-2003 06:22 AM
Looking for boot roms code and upgrade help for a Cisco 2501 router Jwalling Cisco 4 09-24-2003 11:36 AM

Advertisments