Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Cisco Stackwise

Cisco Stackwise

Prashant

Hi,
Does anyone know the details of Cisco Stackwise Technology?
I have the following questions. I read in the cisco website about it in
which it states that 2 or more switches are combined to logically
appear as one switch and hence could be managed using single IP
Address. How does the snmp agent function in this case? How will the
interface indices of the second switch look like ?
When the master switch fails and when the other switch takes over as
master will the interfaces indices of the switch change?

thanks and regards,
Prashant

thrill5

The ports on the first switch would be FastEthernet 0/0/0 thu Fa 0/0/48, the
second switch they are Fa 1/0/0 thru Fa 1/0/48.

The switches act as a single entity, there is only one mangement interface,
while in reality you have two or more switches, from a management point of
view there is only one device. If the management device fails, the
interface indices remain the same. It works exactly as if you had a 6500
with redundant processors. In this case you have as many redundant
processors as you have switches.

Scott

"Prashant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi,
> Does anyone know the details of Cisco Stackwise Technology?
> I have the following questions. I read in the cisco website about it in
> which it states that 2 or more switches are combined to logically
> appear as one switch and hence could be managed using single IP
> Address. How does the snmp agent function in this case? How will the
> interface indices of the second switch look like ?
> When the master switch fails and when the other switch takes over as
> master will the interfaces indices of the switch change?
>
> thanks and regards,
> Prashant

Prashant

Hi,
thanks for the reply.
I wanted to know what will happen if the master switch fails, say for
example if the master switch was having interfaces 0/0/0 and the second
switch 1/0/0 and perhaps the interfaces indices will be decided then .
But if this master switch fails and the second switch becomes the new
master will its interfaces remain as 1/0/0 and also the interface snmp
indices remain the same as it was before the master switch failed?

I dont understand what you mean by management device. I am not
concerned about the management station failing.

thanks and regards,
Prashant

thrill5

The mangement device is the switch processor. The switch is managed and
configured by the processor (it manages the functions of the switch, it
provides the CLI, SNMP, routing, ARP times, CAM aging, etc.) When the
master processor fails, management of the device moves to another processor
in the stack and everything remains exactly as it was before the master
processor failed.

Scott
"Prashant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi,
> thanks for the reply.
> I wanted to know what will happen if the master switch fails, say for
> example if the master switch was having interfaces 0/0/0 and the second
> switch 1/0/0 and perhaps the interfaces indices will be decided then .
> But if this master switch fails and the second switch becomes the new
> master will its interfaces remain as 1/0/0 and also the interface snmp
> indices remain the same as it was before the master switch failed?
>
> I dont understand what you mean by management device. I am not
> concerned about the management station failing.
>
> thanks and regards,
> Prashant

Ben

thrill5 wrote:
> The mangement device is the switch processor. The switch is managed and
> configured by the processor (it manages the functions of the switch, it
> provides the CLI, SNMP, routing, ARP times, CAM aging, etc.) When the
> master processor fails, management of the device moves to another processor
> in the stack and everything remains exactly as it was before the master
> processor failed.
>
> Scott
> "Prashant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>
>>Hi,
>>thanks for the reply.
>>I wanted to know what will happen if the master switch fails, say for
>>example if the master switch was having interfaces 0/0/0 and the second
>>switch 1/0/0 and perhaps the interfaces indices will be decided then .
>>But if this master switch fails and the second switch becomes the new
>>master will its interfaces remain as 1/0/0 and also the interface snmp
>>indices remain the same as it was before the master switch failed?
>>
>>I dont understand what you mean by management device. I am not
>>concerned about the management station failing.
>>
>>thanks and regards,
>>Prashant

As possible all the indexes will change, they normally do with a reboot
but you may be able to use ifindex-persist option to get around this.

3750 stackwise Ned Cisco 2 08-11-2009 01:43 AM
Adding a Second Switch with StackWise Cables .jond Cisco 0 01-14-2009 08:48 PM
Gigastack / Stackwise / Etherchannel LLFF Cisco 2 07-17-2006 05:28 PM
Catalyst 3750 StackWise failover question Igor MamuziŠ Cisco 3 05-11-2006 10:45 PM