Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > More than two Ethernet interfaces on a 28xx router?

More than two Ethernet interfaces on a 28xx router?

Jonas Hamre

Hi,

I am currently using a 2611 where one FE is connected to my local LAN and
the other is configured as dot1q trunk with approx 15 subinterfaces. This
works like a charm, the traffic towards each remote site is mostly M&C, i.e.
not bandwidth intensive. No routing between remote networks, the only
traffic is between my local LAN and the respective remote networks.

Now I need to perform the same trick towards another set of remote networks.
I need another ethernet interface on my router, running dot1q and with
somewhere between 15 and 30 subinterfaces. I'd like to purchase a new Cisco
router for this task, but I don't know how far up the ladder I need to climb
to get a router with more than two Ethernet interfaces. From this page
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...d8016fa68.html
it doesn't look like the 28xx series support LAN network modules at all, as
opposed to the 38xx series
(http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/p...ata_sheet0900a
ecd8016a8e8.html). Unfortunately, I don't have an NM-1/2FE available for
testing in my 2611. I know from earlier that it didn't recognize an older
Ethernet WIC that I installed into one of the WIC slots.

Related to this: Is it possible to use a 3550 like this (router-on-a-stick)?
On my 2611, I create as many sub-interfaces as I have VLANs to route, and on
each subinterface I configure the following:

int fa0/1.501
encap dot1q 501
ip address <ip address in VLAN 501's subnet>

This can't be done like this on a 3550, as a routed interface on a 3550
doesn't support subinterfaces. Can it be done another way, for example by
setting the interface as a dot1q trunk allowing all remote VLANs and then
creating VLAN interfaces with IP addresses for each remote VLAN? Or is this
a feature left out of the 3550 deliberately in order to sell more high-end
routers?

I'd appreciate any help or recommendations.

--
Regards,
Jonas Hamre

stephen

Regards

"Jonas Hamre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I am currently using a 2611 where one FE is connected to my local LAN and
> the other is configured as dot1q trunk with approx 15 subinterfaces. This
> works like a charm, the traffic towards each remote site is mostly M&C,

i.e.
> not bandwidth intensive. No routing between remote networks, the only
> traffic is between my local LAN and the respective remote networks.
>
> Now I need to perform the same trick towards another set of remote

networks.
> I need another ethernet interface on my router, running dot1q and with
> somewhere between 15 and 30 subinterfaces. I'd like to purchase a new

Cisco
> router for this task, but I don't know how far up the ladder I need to

climb
> to get a router with more than two Ethernet interfaces. From this page

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...d8016fa68.html
> it doesn't look like the 28xx series support LAN network modules at all,

as
> opposed to the 38xx series

2801 doesnt have a NM slot - but 2811 and up do.

(http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/p...ata_sheet0900a
> ecd8016a8e8.html). Unfortunately, I don't have an NM-1/2FE available for
> testing in my 2611. I know from earlier that it didn't recognize an older
> Ethernet WIC that I installed into one of the WIC slots.

Try this link for the various enet modules.
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...802a9470.shtml

note there are HWICs with little Enet switches on them, (but limited no's of
VLANs)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk38...8019e74e.shtml

> I'd appreciate any help or recommendations.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Jonas Hamre

RC

I used to run a 2611 with a NM-4E and WIC-1DSU-t1, worked great and it was
handling my firewall, VPN (L2TP/MPPE), 5 internal networks and the DMZ. You
didn't say it was an XM so I'll assume it's not, you might want to check if
the Fast Ethernet cards are supported on the Ethernet routers.