Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Is really necessary spanning tree in PIX ?

Is really necessary spanning tree in PIX ?

Sako

I'll try to explain brief and concrete :

My connection to internet goes to 2 panda Gate denders, placed in the
internet Vlan and then goes to my Panda/pix Vlan , I have 2 pixes
connected, one of them in sand-by.

It seems that it's necessary to disable spanning tree in panda's
VLANS so they can work as active both, but I have enabled spanning tree
in my PIX interface of that VLAN.
So Is there any problem in disabling spanning tree in that inteface
?
What kind of problems could be caused?

The pix is a 525 , the switches 2950, and the problem is that I
need to disable spanning tree in the switch interface so Panda gateways
can work on cooperative mode. (it isn't enabled in the switch
interfaces where the Panda is connected to)

Thanks and regards, sorry my english isn't good neither is my cisco
knowledge .

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
Sako <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> It seems that it's necessary to disable spanning tree in panda's
>VLANS so they can work as active both, but I have enabled spanning tree
>in my PIX interface of that VLAN.
> So Is there any problem in disabling spanning tree in that inteface

Which PIX software version are you running on your 525?
And how do you configure spanning-tree on the 525?

There is no way to "enable spanning tree in my PIX interface" in
PIX 4, PIX 5, or PIX 6; I am not sure about PIX 7.

In the setup you are using, the PIX is acting as a router --
acting at layer 3 rather than at layer 2. Spanning Tree is
something that is used only at the switching level, layer 2.

Sako

The spanning tree is configured in the VLAN that has the panda
interfaces and the Pixes Interfaces, but it ain't configured in the pix
as far as I can see in the running config.
So, what problems could it cause if I erase the spanning tree from the
switch ?

Walter Roberson ha escrito:

Sako <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>The spanning tree is configured in the VLAN that has the panda
>interfaces and the Pixes Interfaces, but it ain't configured in the pix
>as far as I can see in the running config.
>So, what problems could it cause if I erase the spanning tree from the
>switch ?

As I recall, you said the switch was a 2950. If so, then you can turn off
spanning tree on the ports connected to the PIX, but turn on
BPDU Guard for those ports. That way if at some point cables get
misplaced or other rewiring happens, then if something that needs
spanning tree ends up on those ports, the ports will disable themselves
when they see spanning tree packets, thus preventing spanning tree loops.

PIX 501 - No Spanning Tree? jeremy.nielson@gmail.com Cisco 2 04-16-2006 08:48 PM
Spanning Tree issue teton67 Cisco 10 12-27-2003 01:27 PM
Spanning Tree Sizwe Dumisani Cisco 3 11-16-2003 02:33 AM
Spanning Tree And Per Vlan Spanning Tree Amy L. Cisco 0 07-24-2003 10:01 PM

Advertisments