Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSD > Re: mcsd to mcpd

Re: mcsd to mcpd

Chris Mullins [MVP]

I've got two words to answer that question:

Boot Camp.

--
Chris Mullins, MCSD.NET, MCPD:Enterprise, MVP C#
http://www.coversant.net/blogs/cmullins

"Manno" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Are you sure you are an MCSD? If you are, why do you ask such a stupid
> question like this when you should the one giving out answers to such
> questions. How did you become an MCSD? Wih your level, you need to know
> what's up.
>
> Wake up!
> --
> Jean-Louis
> MCAD,MCSD
> West Palm Beach, FL
>

> "SirReadAlot" wrote:
>
>> Hi guess,
>>
>> What exams do i need to take to become mcpd. I am already mcsd.net.
>>
>> I know I need two exams in order to upgrade to mcpd. (Exam 70-553) and
>> (Exam
>> 70-554)
>>
>> but how come i can't find any books with the above title.
>>
>> do i need to buy mcts books. for example
>>
>> (Exam 70-553) do i need these book?
>>
>> MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-526): Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0
>> Windows-Based Client Development
>>
>> MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-52: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0
>> Web-Based Client Development
>>
>> MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-536): Microsoft .NET Framework
>> 2.0-Application Development Foundation
>>

>> for exam 70-554
>>
>> MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exams 70-529): Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0
>> Distributed Application Development
>>
>> MCPD Self-Paced Training Kit (Exams 70-549): Designing and Developing
>> Enterprise Applications Using the Microsoft .NET Framework (available
>> late
>> 2006)
>>
>> CLR via C#: Applied Microsoft .NET Framework Programming, second edition
>>
>> Debugging, Testing, and Tuning Microsoft .NET 2.0 Applications
>>
>> Programming Microsoft Visual C# 2005: The Language
>>
>> Programming Microsoft Visual Basic 2005: The Language
>>
>> see this site
>> http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mc...p/default.mspx
>>

>> thanks

Chris Mullins [MVP]

I've never attended a boot camp, nor have I seriously looked into attending
one.

I have interacted with a number of people who achieved their certifications
(especially the MCSE's) through boot camps. My impression of boot camps, and
the resulting value of the certifications has not been a positive one.

Other Guy: "I got my MCSE last year by attending this boot camp."

Me: "Great. Can you bring this new machine up to date with patches, join it
to the AD, create a new AD account for the guy we just hired, set him up
with admin rights on his local box, and get him setup in Exchange as well?"

Other Guy: "Whoa. That may take a few days."

Me: "Nevermind. I'll do it."

I *swear* I've had this EXACT conversation on more than one occasion.

(For those not paying attentation, this should take about 15 minutes. Tops!)

--
Chris Mullins, MCSD.NET, MCPD:Enterprise, MVP C#
http://www.coversant.net/blogs/cmullins

"Emaa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Chris,
>
> I am planing to go in for a Boot Camp and am trying to find more about the
> credibility of CED Solutions who offer Boot Camps. I was wondering if you
> had
> more information regarding the same?
>
> Thanks.
>
> "Chris Mullins [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> I've got two words to answer that question:
>>
>> Boot Camp.
>>

>> --
>> Chris Mullins, MCSD.NET, MCPD:Enterprise, MVP C#
>> http://www.coversant.net/blogs/cmullins
>>
>> "Manno" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Are you sure you are an MCSD? If you are, why do you ask such a stupid
>> > question like this when you should the one giving out answers to such
>> > questions. How did you become an MCSD? Wih your level, you need to
>> > know
>> > what's up.
>> >
>> > Wake up!
>> > --
>> > Jean-Louis
>> > MCAD,MCSD
>> > West Palm Beach, FL

Chris Mullins [MVP]

The certs are a good way to get back into the industry and they do help
mitigate a lack of recent job experience.

Getting the certs force you to learn a well thought-out cirriculum, and have
a decent knowledge of a huge amount of material.

My problem with the camps is that you're just memorizing questions &
answers, taking the test, then repeating the process. This "cram" process is
doomed to long-term failure at any level from gradeschool through grad
school. Sure you passed the test, but it doesn't mean you know or understand
anything.

.... and at the end of the day, nobody is going to know you got your certs by
attending a camp. Nor are they going to care. They're only going to know,
"Wow. That person knows their stuff." or "Wow. How did they ever get through
the interview process?".

Other things that I've found that help is a blog. Prior to interviewing
someone, I read their blog entries (if any). That's an excellent medium for
me to try to decide, "Does this person have a clue?".

--
Chris Mullins, MCSD.NET, MCPD:Enterprise, MVP C#
http://www.coversant.net/blogs/cmullins

"Emaa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> That's funny, if I do end up taking a boot camp for my certification, I
> will
> remember this conversation.
>
> Just to let you know, I am a Software Developer with a Masters in Computer
> Engg and couple years of work experience. But I have been out of the
> industry
> for three years and thus have to find a way to get into the industry.
> Everybody needs a proof that I can do my job and without a recent work
> experience, a certification would be my best bet.
>
> The reason that I am still wanting to take up a Boot Camp with my IT
> background is the time and resources.
>
> How else do you think I could get certified other than reading books on my
> own?
>
> Thanks for the advice.
> "Chris Mullins [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> I've never attended a boot camp, nor have I seriously looked into
>> attending
>> one.
>>
>> I have interacted with a number of people who achieved their
>> certifications
>> (especially the MCSE's) through boot camps. My impression of boot camps,
>> and
>> the resulting value of the certifications has not been a positive one.
>>
>> Other Guy: "I got my MCSE last year by attending this boot camp."
>>
>> Me: "Great. Can you bring this new machine up to date with patches, join
>> it
>> to the AD, create a new AD account for the guy we just hired, set him up
>> with admin rights on his local box, and get him setup in Exchange as
>> well?"
>>
>> Other Guy: "Whoa. That may take a few days."
>>
>> Me: "Nevermind. I'll do it."
>>
>> I *swear* I've had this EXACT conversation on more than one occasion.
>>
>> (For those not paying attentation, this should take about 15 minutes.
>> Tops!)
>>
>> --
>> Chris Mullins, MCSD.NET, MCPD:Enterprise, MVP C#
>> http://www.coversant.net/blogs/cmullins
>>
>> "Emaa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Chris,
>> >
>> > I am planing to go in for a Boot Camp and am trying to find more about
>> > the
>> > credibility of CED Solutions who offer Boot Camps. I was wondering if
>> > you
>> > had
>> > more information regarding the same?
>> >
>> > Thanks.

Thor

OT (sorry)

have I heard you on some podcast?
(great architecture and trends content, "skype" sound)
if it is you, could you post a link? if not, sorry: please ignore post.

Gorm

"Chris Mullins [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
>>> the resulting value of the certifications has not been a positive one.
>>>
>>> Other Guy: "I got my MCSE last year by attending this boot camp."
>>>
>>> Me: "Great. Can you bring this new machine up to date with patches, join
>>> it
>>> to the AD, create a new AD account for the guy we just hired, set him up
>>> with admin rights on his local box, and get him setup in Exchange as
>>> well?"
>>>
>>> Other Guy: "Whoa. That may take a few days."
>>>
>>> Me: "Nevermind. I'll do it."
>>>
>>> I *swear* I've had this EXACT conversation on more than one occasion.
>>>
>>> (For those not paying attentation, this should take about 15 minutes.
>>> Tops!)
>>>
>>> --
>>> Chris Mullins, MCSD.NET, MCPD:Enterprise, MVP C#
>>> http://www.coversant.net/blogs/cmullins
>>>
>>> "Emaa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

Chris Mullins [MVP]

To the best of my knowledge, I've never done a podcast.

I do lots of public speaking though, and who knows what people do with audio
recorded from that...

--
Chris Mullins, MCSD.NET, MCPD:Enterprise, MVP C#
http://www.coversant.net/blogs/cmullins

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> OT (sorry)
>
> have I heard you on some podcast?
> (great architecture and trends content, "skype" sound)
> if it is you, could you post a link? if not, sorry: please ignore post.
>
> Gorm
>
> "Chris Mullins [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> The certs are a good way to get back into the industry and they do help
>> mitigate a lack of recent job experience.
>>
>> Getting the certs force you to learn a well thought-out cirriculum, and
>> have a decent knowledge of a huge amount of material.
>>
>> My problem with the camps is that you're just memorizing questions &
>> answers, taking the test, then repeating the process. This "cram" process
>> is doomed to long-term failure at any level from gradeschool through grad
>> school. Sure you passed the test, but it doesn't mean you know or
>> understand anything.
>>
>> ... and at the end of the day, nobody is going to know you got your certs
>> by attending a camp. Nor are they going to care. They're only going to
>> know, "Wow. That person knows their stuff." or "Wow. How did they ever
>> get through the interview process?".
>>
>> Other things that I've found that help is a blog. Prior to interviewing
>> someone, I read their blog entries (if any). That's an excellent medium
>> for me to try to decide, "Does this person have a clue?".
>>
>> --
>> Chris Mullins, MCSD.NET, MCPD:Enterprise, MVP C#
>> http://www.coversant.net/blogs/cmullins
>>
>> "Emaa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> That's funny, if I do end up taking a boot camp for my certification, I
>>> will
>>> remember this conversation.
>>>
>>> Just to let you know, I am a Software Developer with a Masters in
>>> Computer
>>> Engg and couple years of work experience. But I have been out of the
>>> industry
>>> for three years and thus have to find a way to get into the industry.
>>> Everybody needs a proof that I can do my job and without a recent work
>>> experience, a certification would be my best bet.
>>>
>>> The reason that I am still wanting to take up a Boot Camp with my IT
>>> background is the time and resources.
>>>
>>> How else do you think I could get certified other than reading books on
>>> my
>>> own?
>>>
>>> Thanks for the advice.

Thor