Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > MCSE training

MCSE training

charlienospam@hotmail.co.uk

Hi There,

I've been working as the operations manager for a small company in the
UK for the past 6 years. I've also become the 'IT guy' which has mainly

involved basic desktop problems, setting up new PC's, setting up new
users in active directory, managing company websites, delaing with
developers etc. We use SBS2003 but it was set up by another company so
whilst I know my way around it in a basic sense, I'm by no means
knowledgable and entirely self taught. I'd like to bolster my CV with a

decent qualification with a view to a career change to full time IT so
I immediately thought of MCSE. I guess I'm after 2 bits of advice:

1) Should I dive straight into an MCSE? I was thinking I would try one
of the easier modules to get a feel for it.
2) If I did, is it advisable to use something like winstructor.com in
conjunction with the relevant reference books OR try and get my company

to pay for an intensive course. I'm very wary of the many 'online
training courses' because they seem to get a bad press

Any advice is welcome!

thanks
Charlie

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hi There,
>
> I've been working as the operations manager for a small company in the
> UK for the past 6 years. I've also become the 'IT guy' which has mainly
>
> involved basic desktop problems, setting up new PC's, setting up new
> users in active directory, managing company websites, delaing with
> developers etc. We use SBS2003 but it was set up by another company so
> whilst I know my way around it in a basic sense, I'm by no means
> knowledgable and entirely self taught. I'd like to bolster my CV with a
>
> decent qualification with a view to a career change to full time IT so
> I immediately thought of MCSE. I guess I'm after 2 bits of advice:
>

> 1) Should I dive straight into an MCSE? I was thinking I would try one
> of the easier modules to get a feel for it.

It's entirely up to the way you work, the Certifications aren't really meant to
be a learning tool, but more of an "already got the experience" tool. Since you
have some experience, then I would suggest taking an exam that you think you may
be familiar with. If you're used to setting up Windows XP on the SBS2003 server,
then I would suggest buying the MS Press book for exam 70-270.

You can find that and many other books here:
http://www.certguard.com/Store.asp

> 2) If I did, is it advisable to use something like winstructor.com in
> conjunction with the relevant reference books OR try and get my company
>
> to pay for an intensive course. I'm very wary of the many 'online
> training courses' because they seem to get a bad press

I'm not too familiar with winstructor.com, but preliminary checks indicate that
they are providing clean material, so you should be ok with them. However, I
would still recommend training material that has been approved by, and is
endorsed by, Microsoft. SelfTestSoftware and MeasureUp are the only two
companies that have earned the Microsoft Certified Practice Test Provider
status, but if you'd like to see a list of other Practice Test Providers that
provide legitimate material, check this page
[http://www.certguard.com/reviews.asp]

> Any advice is welcome!

Give us a chance to help you.
http://www.CertGuard.com/forums/

--
CertGuard
You think you know IT?!?!

Kline Sphere

>I'd like to bolster my CV with a
>
>decent qualification with a view to a career change to full time IT so
>I immediately thought of MCSE

TRMML

Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

PajaP

On 17 Jan 2007 06:55:17 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Hi There,
>
>I've been working as the operations manager for a small company in the
>UK for the past 6 years. I've also become the 'IT guy' which has mainly
>
>involved basic desktop problems, setting up new PC's, setting up new
>users in active directory, managing company websites, delaing with
>developers etc. We use SBS2003 but it was set up by another company so
>whilst I know my way around it in a basic sense, I'm by no means
>knowledgable and entirely self taught. I'd like to bolster my CV with a
>
>decent qualification with a view to a career change to full time IT so
>I immediately thought of MCSE. I guess I'm after 2 bits of advice:
>

>1) Should I dive straight into an MCSE? I was thinking I would try one
>of the easier modules to get a feel for it.
>2) If I did, is it advisable to use something like winstructor.com in
>conjunction with the relevant reference books OR try and get my company
>
>to pay for an intensive course. I'm very wary of the many 'online
>training courses' because they seem to get a bad press

CompTIA may suit you best.

Try CompTIA A+ and CompTIA Network+

This way you will get some qualifications as soon as you pass them.
Also the two of them combined can be used as the elective for an MCSA.
I do not think you can use them for an MCSE elective but you can use
CompTIA Security+ as an MCSE elective (and also as an MCSA elective).

--
Thx.
PajaP

Jorg

PajaP is right. Try the A+ and Network+ first. This will get you in the door
and off on the right track. An MCSE is a rough start when trying for your
first certification.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...