Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > Microsoft Certification > Networking / SQL Server 2005 / Administration Advice Please

Networking / SQL Server 2005 / Administration Advice Please

=?Utf-8?B?RGVybW90?=

This may be too much to ask but I would appreciate some constructive advise
to achieve my goal in as short a period as possible?

I have worked in electronic engineering for about 29 years.
I have a reasonable computer knowledge.
No certifications in computing.

I work in an office.
There are about 25 computers running Windows XP Pro
The computers are all networked together.
Several shared printers (say between groups of 4 computers).
The network is connected to a server running MS Server 2005.
All computers have internet connections.
Remote Desktop features are configured, for remote connection either way.
Outlook is configured on all computers for email etc.
Security:- Anti-Virus and Firewalls configured.

I want to learn how to Maintain the Network / Security ( system and
Internet) and Manage the Administration of this system.

Questions
1. Can anyone give me some guide lines to all the subjects I would need to
study to achieve my goal............. in some sort of logical learning
progression?

2. A realistic learning period to cover all topics to a competent level?

3. Any useful Links for me a beginner would be appreciated.

Thanks In advance

=?Utf-8?B?RGVybW90?=

Is there really no one out there that can give me some help with this?

"Dermot" wrote:

> This may be too much to ask but I would appreciate some constructive advise
> to achieve my goal in as short a period as possible?
>
> I have worked in electronic engineering for about 29 years.
> I have a reasonable computer knowledge.
> No certifications in computing.
>
> I work in an office.
> There are about 25 computers running Windows XP Pro
> The computers are all networked together.
> Several shared printers (say between groups of 4 computers).
> The network is connected to a server running MS Server 2005.
> All computers have internet connections.
> Remote Desktop features are configured, for remote connection either way.
> Outlook is configured on all computers for email etc.
> Security:- Anti-Virus and Firewalls configured.
>
> I want to learn how to Maintain the Network / Security ( system and
> Internet) and Manage the Administration of this system.
>
> Questions
> 1. Can anyone give me some guide lines to all the subjects I would need to
> study to achieve my goal............. in some sort of logical learning
> progression?
>
> 2. A realistic learning period to cover all topics to a competent level?
>
> 3. Any useful Links for me a beginner would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks In advance

=?Utf-8?B?RGVybW90?=

Last plea for help.
I am only asking for general guide line regarding where to start?
I thought The General Learning forum would be the correct place for this
posting.
The above description is hypothetical.....I was hoping for some "practical"
advice.
Disappointed...well...a little!!!

"Dermot" wrote:

> Is there really no one out there that can give me some help with this?
>
> "Dermot" wrote:
>
> > This may be too much to ask but I would appreciate some constructive advise
> > to achieve my goal in as short a period as possible?
> >
> > I have worked in electronic engineering for about 29 years.
> > I have a reasonable computer knowledge.
> > No certifications in computing.
> >
> > I work in an office.
> > There are about 25 computers running Windows XP Pro
> > The computers are all networked together.
> > Several shared printers (say between groups of 4 computers).
> > The network is connected to a server running MS Server 2005.
> > All computers have internet connections.
> > Remote Desktop features are configured, for remote connection either way.
> > Outlook is configured on all computers for email etc.
> > Security:- Anti-Virus and Firewalls configured.
> >
> > I want to learn how to Maintain the Network / Security ( system and
> > Internet) and Manage the Administration of this system.
> >
> > Questions
> > 1. Can anyone give me some guide lines to all the subjects I would need to
> > study to achieve my goal............. in some sort of logical learning
> > progression?
> >
> > 2. A realistic learning period to cover all topics to a competent level?
> >
> > 3. Any useful Links for me a beginner would be appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks In advance

Jonathan Roberts

Dermot wrote:
> This may be too much to ask but I would appreciate some constructive advise
> to achieve my goal in as short a period as possible?
>
> I have worked in electronic engineering for about 29 years.
> I have a reasonable computer knowledge.
> No certifications in computing.
>
> I work in an office.
> There are about 25 computers running Windows XP Pro
> The computers are all networked together.
> Several shared printers (say between groups of 4 computers).
> The network is connected to a server running MS Server 2005.
> All computers have internet connections.
> Remote Desktop features are configured, for remote connection either way.
> Outlook is configured on all computers for email etc.
> Security:- Anti-Virus and Firewalls configured.
>
> I want to learn how to Maintain the Network / Security ( system and
> Internet) and Manage the Administration of this system.
>
> Questions
> 1. Can anyone give me some guide lines to all the subjects I would need to
> study to achieve my goal............. in some sort of logical learning
> progression?
>
> 2. A realistic learning period to cover all topics to a competent level?
>
> 3. Any useful Links for me a beginner would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks In advance

Dermot,

You might do well to prepare for (and possibly take) some MCP exams. I
would recommend 70-270 and then 70-290. You might also check into
70-271 and 70-272.

Good luck,

Jonathan

--
"What a funny reply, but Professional qualities are not measured by
turban or sombrero but with work, expereince, Qualifications. "

=?Utf-8?B?RGVybW90?=

Johnathan,
Thankyou very much for the reply.
Much appreciated, I will check thse out.
Dermot