Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Copy/Paste from Word file to HTML?

Copy/Paste from Word file to HTML?

Ed Mullen

Gualtier Malde wrote:
> Ed Mullen wrote:
>> Gualtier Malde wrote:

>>> People send me Word documents and sometimes they have gone to great
>>> lengths to use centered large fonts and colors in their
>>> presentations. I try to accommodate them, but if I simply copy/paste
>>> I get, essentially, ASCII text.

>> Correct.
>>
>>> I didn't know Word can "save as Web page". I will ask someone to do
>>> that for me and try it out. I am using very simple HTML 4 - no style
>>> sheets... nothing like that. This may work.

>> Again, Word produces hugely invalid HTML. So, while you could (in
>> Word) choose File - Save As Web Page, I don't recommend it. I just
>> test it by creating a Word doc containing only the following:
>>
>> A Header
>> Body text
>>
>> Saved as a Web page = 8 Kb
>> Saved as a text file (which is what an HTML file is) = 1 Kb
>>
>> The HTML Validator noted 14 errors, the most egregious of which was
>> the lack of a doctype.
>>
>> Again, what program are you using to compose the HTML? Are you
>> writing the HTML by hand, or using a WYSIWYG editor? I can probably
>> make some suggestions if I know that.
>>

> For the newsletter

Which you are composing and posting on the Internet as an HTML page?

> I've just been using the composer that comes with
> T-bird. I've just installed a Mozilla Composer (NVU) and haven't used
> it yet. I have composed relatively simple HTML from a time before style
> sheets, including graphics, backgrounds, and tables. But I am old and
> not inclined to keep up with new stuff when the old meets my simple
> needs. I'll bet I wind up using only a fraction of what NVU will give me.

There's no real need for your simple application to dive into
CSS/style-sheets.

But, "the composer that comes with T-bird" ... do you mean the email
compose function? That is totally different from NVU and the Composer
that comes with the Mozilla Suite and SeaMonkey, both of which were
intended as WYSIWYG HTML/Web page creators. The email composer with TB,
SM, and Moz Suite are email creation components that have huge
differences from NVU/Composer. Again, are you posting these creations
on the Web as HTML pages or are you sending them as emails?

> But I'd like to get out of the composing business completely. When
> people send me a .doc file that they have worked hard on formatting,
> with graphics and all,I would like to reward their efforts by using what
> they send, as they send it, with their tables and graphics.

The only expeditious way to do this is:

- If you're publishing/posting Web pages, create a page that has links
in it to the original documents and upload the Web page and Word files
to the Web

- If you're simply collecting source material from various people and
emailing it to a list, just attach the original Word documents to your
email.

> If Save as... in Word doesn't do all the job, I probably can correct it
> in the source document. I've had to do that before.

You won't want to do that once you look at the HTML source that Word
produces. It is hideous and bears no resemblance to standards-compliant
HTML. MS offers a couple of tools to strip some of the more useless
cruft from Word/HTML docs but it still leaves you with an ungainly mess.
Don't even go there. You'd probably be better off back at the
beginning: Copying and pasting plain text from the Word doc into your
HTML composer and then manually adding formatting and links to replicate
the original. Frankly, I most likely wouldn't make the effort unless it
was a trivial amount of content that I could handle in 15 to 30 minutes,
max. Anything more than that and I'd go with the attachment option.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Ed Mullen

Gualtier Malde wrote:
>>> Not for me. I open Word .doc files in Wordpad. I don't have Word.
>>> I'm beginning to think I'm the
>>> only one <g>.
>>>
>>> I can open it in Works - just tried it after this msg - and save as
>>> HTML. I had two such formatted
>>> .doc files. One worked perfectly and another got huge and unusable
>>> in its form. Haven't had time
>>> to look deeper into it. I am having some folks re-send me their
>>> files in HTML to see if Word does a
>>> more consistent job with its own files.

>> then download and get OpenOffice. Its MS Office compatible:
>> http://www.openoffice.org/. It has just about everything that MS
>> Office has. And a big plus is it will open Word docs and convert them
>> to html. And another big, BIG plus is its Open Source and FREE!!!!
>>

> Great. I didn't know about this. Thank you.

1. You never said that you don't have Word. That would have been
helpful to know in order to give you meaningful advice.

2. I doubt that Open Office's Save As HTML function produces much better
HTML code than Word does but I'm willing to hear from OO experts who
differ.

3. Next time try to give a better and more complete description of your
environment, goals, tools, etc. It'll save us all a lot of time.

Sheesh.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Koster, H

Op Thu, 22 Feb 2007 20:29:59 -0800, schreef Gualtier Malde:

> I don't think this can be done - but just have to ask because
> if I found out that it can be done and spent more time re-typing
> in copy people have sent me for a newsletter, I'll plotz.

In case you have a good editor (eg. TinyMCE) in the portal or blog to
upload text in your webpage, yes, it can be done. Although it's still some
work to get the different styles from separate docs the same (everybody
uses different font, fontsize).

--

groet,
Henk Koster jr.

Gualtier Malde

Ed Mullen wrote:
> Gualtier Malde wrote:
>> Ed Mullen wrote:

> There's no real need for your simple application to dive into
> CSS/style-sheets.
>
> But, "the composer that comes with T-bird" ... do you mean the email
> compose function?

Yes - The HTML compose for email. I have NVU, have used it before, but at the moment I'm talking
about the email composer in T-bird.

I am sending out individual emails.

That is totally different from NVU and the Composer
> that comes with the Mozilla Suite and SeaMonkey, both of which were
> intended as WYSIWYG HTML/Web page creators. The email composer with TB,
> SM, and Moz Suite are email creation components that have huge
> differences from NVU/Composer. Again, are you posting these creations
> on the Web as HTML pages or are you sending them as emails?
>
>> But I'd like to get out of the composing business completely. When
>> people send me a .doc file that they have worked hard on formatting,
>> with graphics and all,I would like to reward their efforts by using
>> what they send, as they send it, with their tables and graphics.

> The only expeditious way to do this is:
>
> - If you're publishing/posting Web pages, create a page that has links
> in it to the original documents and upload the Web page and Word files
> to the Web

I do that when it is appropriate and possible.

> - If you're simply collecting source material from various people and
> emailing it to a list, just attach the original Word documents to your
> email.

Yeah, but I really would like for the letter to be something that can be read without saving
attachments, etc.

>> If Save as... in Word doesn't do all the job, I probably can correct
>> it in the source document. I've had to do that before.

> You won't want to do that once you look at the HTML source that Word
> produces. It is hideous and bears no resemblance to standards-compliant
> HTML. MS offers a couple of tools to strip some of the more useless
> cruft from Word/HTML docs but it still leaves you with an ungainly mess.
> Don't even go there. You'd probably be better off back at the
> beginning: Copying and pasting plain text from the Word doc into your
> HTML composer and then manually adding formatting and links to replicate
> the original. Frankly, I most likely wouldn't make the effort unless it
> was a trivial amount of content that I could handle in 15 to 30 minutes,
> max. Anything more than that and I'd go with the attachment option.

Well, I do know how to 1)print to a .pdf file with Cute PDF, 2) image-select what I want to export,
and 3) cut/paste to my HTML email document. It comes in as a block. BUT - If someone says "You got
the number/link/date/... wrong, I can't change that.

But, yes, this is tweakage.

Gualtier Malde

Ed Mullen wrote:
> Gualtier Malde wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>>> then download and get OpenOffice. Its MS Office compatible:
>>> http://www.openoffice.org/. It has just about everything that MS
>>> Office has. And a big plus is it will open Word docs and convert them
>>> to html. And another big, BIG plus is its Open Source and FREE!!!!
>>>

>> Great. I didn't know about this. Thank you.
>>

> 1. You never said that you don't have Word. That would have been
> helpful to know in order to give you meaningful advice.

Actually, I did. Look up in this message. I've isolated the paragraph. A little late, but I
replied to you, up the thread, that I would have to "ask someone to do that..." (meaning Save As Web
page).

> 2. I doubt that Open Office's Save As HTML function produces much better
> HTML code than Word does but I'm willing to hear from OO experts who
> differ.
>
> 3. Next time try to give a better and more complete description of your
> environment, goals, tools, etc. It'll save us all a lot of time.

Perhaps I should have answered Doug H with that answer, but there were so many postings by the time
I got back I kind of got self-lured into answering the last one first.

I've gotten an abundance of answers. I'll save everyone a lot of time and depart to work on the
material I now have, with my thanks to all for your help.

Gualtier Malde

Koster, H wrote:
> Op Thu, 22 Feb 2007 20:29:59 -0800, schreef Gualtier Malde:
>
>> I don't think this can be done - but just have to ask because
>> if I found out that it can be done and spent more time re-typing
>> in copy people have sent me for a newsletter, I'll plotz.

> In case you have a good editor (eg. TinyMCE) in the portal or blog to
> upload text in your webpage, yes, it can be done. Although it's still some
> work to get the different styles from separate docs the same (everybody
> uses different font, fontsize).

Yes, I had been doing that and pasting to my email and then resizing and coloring etc. Worked
pretty well, but one contributor goes to great lengths to find little clip art graphics and I have a
terrible time trying to get that in among centered text.

I just thought I'd save myself some time and effort.

Thank you for your reply.

On Feb 24, 10:07 am, Gualtier Malde <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Ed Mullen wrote:

Just to let you know, but you may not be getting a reply from Ed
anymore. Someone, from another newsgroup, ****ed him off big time,
and Ed informed everyone that he's going to unsubscribe from all
Mozilla newsgroups. I don't know if it includes this one, though.

Gualtier Malde

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Feb 24, 10:07 am, Gualtier Malde <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Ed Mullen wrote:

> Just to let you know, but you may not be getting a reply from Ed
> anymore. Someone, from another newsgroup, ****ed him off big time,
> and Ed informed everyone that he's going to unsubscribe from all
> Mozilla newsgroups. I don't know if it includes this one, though.

I've re-read my reply and can't imagine that it was insulting or even confrontational enough to be
the cause. I even overlooked his "Sheesh". It certainly doesn't seem to fit the definition of a
"flame".

On Feb 24, 11:01 am, Gualtier Malde <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > On Feb 24, 10:07 am, Gualtier Malde <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> Ed Mullen wrote:

> > Just to let you know, but you may not be getting a reply from Ed
> > anymore. Someone, from another newsgroup, ****ed him off big time,
> > and Ed informed everyone that he's going to unsubscribe from all
> > Mozilla newsgroups. I don't know if it includes this one, though.

> I've re-read my reply and can't imagine that it was insulting or even confrontational enough to be
> the cause. I even overlooked his "Sheesh". It certainly doesn't seem to fit the definition of a
> "flame".

I said "another newsgroup." It wasn't this one and it wasn't you.
I'm just replying so you'll know why Ed isn't replying.

Gualtier Malde

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Feb 24, 11:01 am, Gualtier Malde <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>> Just to let you know, but you may not be getting a reply from Ed
>>> anymore. Someone, from another newsgroup, ****ed him off big time,
>>> and Ed informed everyone that he's going to unsubscribe from all
>>> Mozilla newsgroups. I don't know if it includes this one, though.

>> I've re-read my reply and can't imagine that it was insulting or even confrontational enough to be
>> the cause. I even overlooked his "Sheesh". It certainly doesn't seem to fit the definition of a
>> "flame".

> I said "another newsgroup." It wasn't this one and it wasn't you.
> I'm just replying so you'll know why Ed isn't replying.

Sorry. I took "this one" to mean "this post". Now, where did I put that anti-paranoia medication
the doctor gave me?