Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Copy/Paste from Word file to HTML?

Copy/Paste from Word file to HTML?

Gualtier Malde

I don't think this can be done - but just have to ask because if I found out that it can be done and
spent more time re-typing in copy people have sent me for a newsletter, I'll plotz.

So, can it be done? If not that, how best to import a .doc file?

Thanks

Doug G

Gualtier Malde wrote:
> I don't think this can be done - but just have to ask because if I
> found out that it can be done and spent more time re-typing in copy
> people have sent me for a newsletter, I'll plotz.
>
> So, can it be done? If not that, how best to import a .doc file?
>
> Thanks

The version of Word I use has "Save As Web Page" on its File menu.

Ed Mullen

Gualtier Malde wrote:
> I don't think this can be done - but just have to ask because if I found
> out that it can be done and spent more time re-typing in copy people
> have sent me for a newsletter, I'll plotz.
>
> So, can it be done? If not that, how best to import a .doc file?

In general, sure, you can paste from Word to another program where
you're creating an HTML document. But, since you don't give enough
details, I have to say: It depends on what you mean and how you're
trying to do this. Into what program are you trying to paste? Are you
creating an HTML doc in Word, or just plain text? Are you trying to
paste from Word into another HTML editor while trying to preserve
formatting? What program are you using to create the HTML file.

BTW, Word is /horrible/ at producing HTML. It will never validate and
is hugely bloated with proprietary Word code.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Gualtier Malde

Ed Mullen wrote:
> Gualtier Malde wrote:
>> I don't think this can be done - but just have to ask because if I
>> found out that it can be done and spent more time re-typing in copy
>> people have sent me for a newsletter, I'll plotz.
>>
>> So, can it be done? If not that, how best to import a .doc file?

> In general, sure, you can paste from Word to another program where
> you're creating an HTML document. But, since you don't give enough
> details, I have to say: It depends on what you mean and how you're
> trying to do this. Into what program are you trying to paste? Are you
> creating an HTML doc in Word, or just plain text? Are you trying to
> paste from Word into another HTML editor while trying to preserve
> formatting? What program are you using to create the HTML file.
>
> BTW, Word is /horrible/ at producing HTML. It will never validate and
> is hugely bloated with proprietary Word code.

People send me Word documents and sometimes they have gone to great lengths to use centered large
fonts and colors in their presentations. I try to accommodate them, but if I simply copy/paste I
get, essentially, ASCII text. I have taken to printing to a .pdf file with "Cute PDF",
image-copying selected text, and pasting that. It works, except that the background of their copy
is usually white (mine is sort of a buff brown) and, more importantly, their links don't work.

I didn't know Word can "save as Web page". I will ask someone to do that for me and try it out. I
am using very simple HTML 4 - no style sheets... nothing like that. This may work.

Thank you both.

Chuck

Ed Mullen

Gualtier Malde wrote:
> Ed Mullen wrote:
>> Gualtier Malde wrote:
>>> I don't think this can be done - but just have to ask because if I
>>> found out that it can be done and spent more time re-typing in copy
>>> people have sent me for a newsletter, I'll plotz.
>>>
>>> So, can it be done? If not that, how best to import a .doc file?

>> In general, sure, you can paste from Word to another program where
>> you're creating an HTML document. But, since you don't give enough
>> details, I have to say: It depends on what you mean and how you're
>> trying to do this. Into what program are you trying to paste? Are
>> you creating an HTML doc in Word, or just plain text? Are you trying
>> to paste from Word into another HTML editor while trying to preserve
>> formatting? What program are you using to create the HTML file.
>>
>> BTW, Word is /horrible/ at producing HTML. It will never validate and
>> is hugely bloated with proprietary Word code.
>>

> People send me Word documents and sometimes they have gone to great
> lengths to use centered large fonts and colors in their presentations.
> I try to accommodate them, but if I simply copy/paste I get,
> essentially, ASCII text.

Correct.

> I didn't know Word can "save as Web page". I will ask someone to do
> that for me and try it out. I am using very simple HTML 4 - no style
> sheets... nothing like that. This may work.

Again, Word produces hugely invalid HTML. So, while you could (in Word)
choose File - Save As Web Page, I don't recommend it. I just test it by
creating a Word doc containing only the following:

A Header
Body text

Saved as a Web page = 8 Kb
Saved as a text file (which is what an HTML file is) = 1 Kb

The HTML Validator noted 14 errors, the most egregious of which was the
lack of a doctype.

Again, what program are you using to compose the HTML? Are you writing
the HTML by hand, or using a WYSIWYG editor? I can probably make some
suggestions if I know that.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

On Feb 22, 8:29 pm, Gualtier Malde <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I don't think this can be done - but just have to ask because if I found out that it can be done and
> spent more time re-typing in copy people have sent me for a newsletter, I'll plotz.
>
> So, can it be done? If not that, how best to import a .doc file?
>
> Thanks

if someone has sent you a word doc, open it in word, then click on
File, Save As, and save it as an html document. Doesn't this work?

Gualtier Malde

Ed Mullen wrote:
> Gualtier Malde wrote:
>> Ed Mullen wrote:

>>> In general, sure, you can paste from Word to another program where
>>> you're creating an HTML document. But, since you don't give enough
>>> details, I have to say: It depends on what you mean and how you're
>>> trying to do this. Into what program are you trying to paste? Are
>>> you creating an HTML doc in Word, or just plain text? Are you trying
>>> to paste from Word into another HTML editor while trying to preserve
>>> formatting? What program are you using to create the HTML file.
>>>
>>> BTW, Word is /horrible/ at producing HTML. It will never validate
>>> and is hugely bloated with proprietary Word code.
>>>

>> People send me Word documents and sometimes they have gone to great
>> lengths to use centered large fonts and colors in their
>> presentations. I try to accommodate them, but if I simply copy/paste
>> I get, essentially, ASCII text.

> Correct.
>
>> I didn't know Word can "save as Web page". I will ask someone to do
>> that for me and try it out. I am using very simple HTML 4 - no style
>> sheets... nothing like that. This may work.

> Again, Word produces hugely invalid HTML. So, while you could (in Word)
> choose File - Save As Web Page, I don't recommend it. I just test it by
> creating a Word doc containing only the following:
>
> A Header
> Body text
>
> Saved as a Web page = 8 Kb
> Saved as a text file (which is what an HTML file is) = 1 Kb
>
> The HTML Validator noted 14 errors, the most egregious of which was the
> lack of a doctype.
>
> Again, what program are you using to compose the HTML? Are you writing
> the HTML by hand, or using a WYSIWYG editor? I can probably make some
> suggestions if I know that.

For the newsletter I've just been using the composer that comes with T-bird. I've just installed a
Mozilla Composer (NVU) and haven't used it yet. I have composed relatively simple HTML from a time
before style sheets, including graphics, backgrounds, and tables. But I am old and not inclined to
keep up with new stuff when the old meets my simple needs. I'll bet I wind up using only a fraction
of what NVU will give me.

But I'd like to get out of the composing business completely. When people send me a .doc file that
they have worked hard on formatting, with graphics and all,I would like to reward their efforts by
using what they send, as they send it, with their tables and graphics.

If Save as... in Word doesn't do all the job, I probably can correct it in the source document.
I've had to do that before.

Gualtier Malde

> On Feb 22, 8:29 pm, Gualtier Malde <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I don't think this can be done - but just have to ask because if I found out that it can be done and
>> spent more time re-typing in copy people have sent me for a newsletter, I'll plotz.
>>
>> So, can it be done? If not that, how best to import a .doc file?
>>
>> Thanks

> if someone has sent you a word doc, open it in word, then click on
> File, Save As, and save it as an html document. Doesn't this work?

Not for me. I open Word .doc files in Wordpad. I don't have Word. I'm beginning to think I'm the
only one <g>.

I can open it in Works - just tried it after this msg - and save as HTML. I had two such formatted
..doc files. One worked perfectly and another got huge and unusable in its form. Haven't had time
to look deeper into it. I am having some folks re-send me their files in HTML to see if Word does a
more consistent job with its own files.

On Feb 23, 4:15 pm, Gualtier Malde <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > On Feb 22, 8:29 pm, Gualtier Malde <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> I don't think this can be done - but just have to ask because if I found out that it can be done and
> >> spent more time re-typing in copy people have sent me for a newsletter, I'll plotz.

> >> So, can it be done? If not that, how best to import a .doc file?

> >> Thanks

> > if someone has sent you a word doc, open it in word, then click on
> > File, Save As, and save it as an html document. Doesn't this work?

> Not for me. I open Word .doc files in Wordpad. I don't have Word. I'm beginning to think I'm the
> only one <g>.
>
> I can open it in Works - just tried it after this msg - and save as HTML. I had two such formatted
> .doc files. One worked perfectly and another got huge and unusable in its form. Haven't had time
> to look deeper into it. I am having some folks re-send me their files in HTML to see if Word does a
> more consistent job with its own files.

then download and get OpenOffice. Its MS Office compatible:
http://www.openoffice.org/. It has just about everything that MS
Office has. And a big plus is it will open Word docs and convert them
to html. And another big, BIG plus is its Open Source and FREE!!!!

Gualtier Malde

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Feb 23, 4:15 pm, Gualtier Malde <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>> if someone has sent you a word doc, open it in word, then click on
>>> File, Save As, and save it as an html document. Doesn't this work?

>> Not for me. I open Word .doc files in Wordpad. I don't have Word. I'm beginning to think I'm the
>> only one <g>.
>>
>> I can open it in Works - just tried it after this msg - and save as HTML. I had two such formatted
>> .doc files. One worked perfectly and another got huge and unusable in its form. Haven't had time
>> to look deeper into it. I am having some folks re-send me their files in HTML to see if Word does a
>> more consistent job with its own files.

> then download and get OpenOffice. Its MS Office compatible:
> http://www.openoffice.org/. It has just about everything that MS
> Office has. And a big plus is it will open Word docs and convert them
> to html. And another big, BIG plus is its Open Source and FREE!!!!

Great. I didn't know about this. Thank you.