Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Where are the messages

Where are the messages

B&B Musmon

Hello all. I have been using Thunderbird for a while, I like it quite
well, doesn't seem to be as vulnerable as Outlook, but what do I know.

My problem is I just had a boot error on my hard drive and had to
install a new HD and operating system. So I still have the HD
installed and the data is still available and actually most programs
including Thunderbird run off the old drive without another install.
My problem is it thinks it is a new install and has no messages. I
can't seem to find the old ones and not sure what to do with them once
I find them. Any ideas how to proceed. I know they are there
somewhere.

Thanks,
Barry]

On Feb 18, 4:45 am, B&B Musmon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hello all. I have been using Thunderbird for a while, I like it quite
> well, doesn't seem to be as vulnerable as Outlook, but what do I know.
>
> My problem is I just had a boot error on my hard drive and had to
> install a new HD and operating system. So I still have the HD
> installed and the data is still available and actually most programs
> including Thunderbird run off the old drive without another install.
> My problem is it thinks it is a new install and has no messages. I
> can't seem to find the old ones and not sure what to do with them once
> I find them. Any ideas how to proceed. I know they are there
> somewhere.
>
> Thanks,
> Barry]

All your data is stored in an area called the TB profile. To find the
location of this profile, you can read this:
http://www.mozilla.org/support/thund...profile#locate

but if you're using windows, then you must read this:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ddenfiles.mspx

Once you have found the old profile, here's what you do. Make sure TB
is closed. Then click on the Start button, then run and enter
exactly:

firefox.exe -p

this will bring up the profile manager. From here, you can use it to
point TB to the old profile.

B&B Musmon

Thank you. Once I could find the right place all I did is point the
local folders to the local folders on the old drive and it works like
a charm. Thank you so much for your help.