Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > mime types

mime types

bob from oz

i'm using Firefox (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US;
v:1.8.1.1) Gecko/20061204 Firefox/2.0.0.1) and cannot figure out how to
add a new mime type. i know the old Mozilla mimetype edit tool is no
longer in Firefox, and i've tried adding a new filetype to the
"mimetypes.rdf" file manually, but i can't get it to work (doofus!)

i'm thinking maybe there's an easier way than hacking? thanks for any
assistance!

bob

Moz Champion (Dan)

bob from oz wrote:
> i'm using Firefox (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US;
> v:1.8.1.1) Gecko/20061204 Firefox/2.0.0.1) and cannot figure out how to
> add a new mime type. i know the old Mozilla mimetype edit tool is no
> longer in Firefox, and i've tried adding a new filetype to the
> "mimetypes.rdf" file manually, but i can't get it to work (doofus!)
>
> i'm thinking maybe there's an easier way than hacking? thanks for any
> assistance!
>
> bob

Add a new mime type? Mime types are set by RFCs
see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIME

Do you perchance mean to add a new helper application for an existing
MIME type that Firefox doesnt know what to do with?
In that case simply download a file of that mime type, Firefox will ask
you what to do with it, tell it what to do, and check the 'remember'
box. <POOF> Helper Application is set for that mime type.

bob from oz

Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
> Do you perchance mean to add a new helper application for an existing
> MIME type that Firefox doesnt know what to do with?
> In that case simply download a file of that mime type, Firefox will ask
> you what to do with it, tell it what to do, and check the 'remember'
> box. <POOF> Helper Application is set for that mime type.

thanks for the answer. the filetype is known to Windows, and Firefox
just uses the system default for that file, which I don't want. changing
it however, appears to be difficult. i tried editing the mimetypes.rdf
file, but ended up knackering it nicely.

bob

Ed Mullen

bob from oz wrote:
> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
>> Do you perchance mean to add a new helper application for an existing
>> MIME type that Firefox doesnt know what to do with?
>> In that case simply download a file of that mime type, Firefox will
>> ask you what to do with it, tell it what to do, and check the
>> 'remember' box. <POOF> Helper Application is set for that mime type.

> thanks for the answer. the filetype is known to Windows, and Firefox
> just uses the system default for that file, which I don't want. changing
> it however, appears to be difficult. i tried editing the mimetypes.rdf
> file, but ended up knackering it nicely.
>
> bob

You don't say if you tried Dan's advice. First, in FF delete the
reference to the Helper Application you're concerned with. Then, click
on a link to that type of file and FF will prompt you what to do and
create a new listing in the list of Helper Apps.

Another thing you can do is install SeaMonkey. Then you have three options:

1. If you have a good backup of your FF mimeTypes.rdf file, copy it to
the SeaMonkey profile. Then edit it using SeaMonkey to add the desired
new MIME type.

2. Create a new Helper App using SM's Helper App editor, and copy the
code from the SM mimeTypes.rdf file to your FF mimeTypes.rdf file.

3. Migrate your FF data to SM and just use SeaMonkey from now on.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

bob from oz

Ed Mullen wrote:
>> changing it however, appears to be difficult. i tried editing the
>> mimetypes.rdf file, but ended up knackering it nicely.

> You don't say if you tried Dan's advice. First, in FF delete the
> reference to the Helper Application you're concerned with. Then, click
> on a link to that type of file and FF will prompt you what to do and
> create a new listing in the list of Helper Apps.

i didn't explain myself properly, sorry. when i click on the filetype, i
don't get a prompt asking what to do with the file. i have only recently
upgraded to FF 2.0. when i click on the filetype, i get a small
requester saying "You have chosen to open xxx.nfo which is a: MSInfo
File from http://blah.com - Would you like to save this file?" and there
are two buttons: "Save File" and "Cancel"

now the problem is that i don't want to save the damn thing: i want to
open it. if i could figure out how to get FF to ask me the "what do you
want to do with this filetype" question, i would be really happy. i just
want Windows Notepad to display it, that's all!

thanks for the assistance!

bob

Moz Champion (Dan)

bob from oz wrote:
> Ed Mullen wrote:
>>> changing it however, appears to be difficult. i tried editing the
>>> mimetypes.rdf file, but ended up knackering it nicely.

>> You don't say if you tried Dan's advice. First, in FF delete the
>> reference to the Helper Application you're concerned with. Then,
>> click on a link to that type of file and FF will prompt you what to do
>> and create a new listing in the list of Helper Apps.

> i didn't explain myself properly, sorry. when i click on the filetype, i
> don't get a prompt asking what to do with the file. i have only recently
> upgraded to FF 2.0. when i click on the filetype, i get a small
> requester saying "You have chosen to open xxx.nfo which is a: MSInfo
> File from http://blah.com - Would you like to save this file?" and there
> are two buttons: "Save File" and "Cancel"
>
> now the problem is that i don't want to save the damn thing: i want to
> open it. if i could figure out how to get FF to ask me the "what do you
> want to do with this filetype" question, i would be really happy. i just
> want Windows Notepad to display it, that's all!
>

> thanks for the assistance!
>
> bob

Then what is the mime type of the file?

Ed Mullen

bob from oz wrote:
> Ed Mullen wrote:
>>> changing it however, appears to be difficult. i tried editing the
>>> mimetypes.rdf file, but ended up knackering it nicely.

>> You don't say if you tried Dan's advice. First, in FF delete the
>> reference to the Helper Application you're concerned with. Then,
>> click on a link to that type of file and FF will prompt you what to do
>> and create a new listing in the list of Helper Apps.

> i didn't explain myself properly, sorry. when i click on the filetype, i
> don't get a prompt asking what to do with the file. i have only recently
> upgraded to FF 2.0. when i click on the filetype, i get a small
> requester saying "You have chosen to open xxx.nfo which is a: MSInfo
> File from http://blah.com - Would you like to save this file?" and there
> are two buttons: "Save File" and "Cancel"
>
> now the problem is that i don't want to save the damn thing: i want to
> open it. if i could figure out how to get FF to ask me the "what do you
> want to do with this filetype" question, i would be really happy. i just
> want Windows Notepad to display it, that's all!

..nfo files are plain-text. Firefox here simply displays them in a
browser window. There is no listing in my file types list for .nfo
files. If there is one in yours, delete it, restart FF and try again.
Here's a test page: http://edmullen.net/temp/t1.html

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

bob from oz

Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
> Then what is the mime type of the file?

the Windows ".nfo" filetype. it's a text file originally used by scene
members, but is now used just as a text description for downloads (i
know you know this, but just in case

under Windows i have the .nfo filetype assigned to Notepad. teh new
FF2.0 doesn't give me an option of what to do about this filetype: it's
save or nothing (either with Flashgot or default FF). i'm going to have
to try and add the mimetype to the mimetypes.rdf file again. dang.
anyhow, thanks.

bob

bob from oz

Ed Mullen wrote:
> .nfo files are plain-text. Firefox here simply displays them in a
> browser window. There is no listing in my file types list for .nfo
> files. If there is one in yours, delete it, restart FF and try again.
> Here's a test page: http://edmullen.net/temp/t1.html

hmm, strange. thanks for the demo. yes, it does work via your page. if i
try the same thing from my news-service, i get the "save" requester.
(jumps to background to check if this still happens! - yep, for some
reason FF2.0 will only allow me to save any *.nfo file from Easynews,
not open it!)

where can i find the "file types list" you mention? in my FF2.0, i can
get to Tools->Options->Manage (file types) and i get my list. the crappy
thing is i cannot add anything to this list. here is the crux of my
problem. and no, there is no .nfo entry in the list thanks again.

bob

On Feb 2, 8:45 am, bob from oz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
> > Then what is the mime type of the file?

> the Windows ".nfo" filetype. it's a text file originally used by scene
> members, but is now used just as a text description for downloads (i
> know you know this, but just in case
>
> under Windows i have the .nfo filetype assigned to Notepad. teh new
> FF2.0 doesn't give me an option of what to do about this filetype: it's
> save or nothing (either with Flashgot or default FF). i'm going to have
> to try and add the mimetype to the mimetypes.rdf file again. dang.
> anyhow, thanks.
>
> bob

I think what Dan is saying is what is the mime type given from the
server. Maybe its been coded wrong.