Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > File Type Associations

File Type Associations

SG

1.5.0.9

I deleted a bunch of file type associations in tools/downloads/view &
edit actions and I need a few back, I see no where to add new actions.

One, for instance is the Video Downloader extension, Firefox now tells
me no association for this type, do I just uninstall this extension and
reinstall it? Would this be the case for most other programs to
reassociate file types? Do they only associate themselves when programs/
extensions get installed?

I would think when you attempt to run something not associated. Firefox
would ask what you want to do with this type of file.

Thanx!

Ed Mullen

SG wrote:
> 1.5.0.9
>
> I deleted a bunch of file type associations in tools/downloads/view &
> edit actions and I need a few back, I see no where to add new actions.
>
> One, for instance is the Video Downloader extension, Firefox now tells
> me no association for this type, do I just uninstall this extension and
> reinstall it? Would this be the case for most other programs to
> reassociate file types? Do they only associate themselves when programs/
> extensions get installed?
>
> I would think when you attempt to run something not associated. Firefox
> would ask what you want to do with this type of file.
>
> Thanx!

FF has no editor for MIME/Helper applications; SeaMonkey still does.
When you download (or click on) an undefined file-type FF should ask you
how you want it to handle it.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Moz Champion (Dan)

Ed Mullen wrote:
> SG wrote:
>> 1.5.0.9
>>
>> I deleted a bunch of file type associations in tools/downloads/view &
>> edit actions and I need a few back, I see no where to add new actions.
>>
>> One, for instance is the Video Downloader extension, Firefox now tells
>> me no association for this type, do I just uninstall this extension and
>> reinstall it? Would this be the case for most other programs to
>> reassociate file types? Do they only associate themselves when programs/
>> extensions get installed?
>>
>> I would think when you attempt to run something not associated. Firefox
>> would ask what you want to do with this type of file.
>>
>> Thanx!
>>

> FF has no editor for MIME/Helper applications; SeaMonkey still does.
> When you download (or click on) an undefined file-type FF should ask you
> how you want it to handle it.

In Firefox, to add a new helper application, simply download a file of
that type. Since no helper application is set, Firefox will ask you what
to do with the file. Tell it, and check the 'remember' box, a new helper
appliation setting will be created for you.

SG

news:%Scrh.403517$(E-Mail Removed)...

&
> >> edit actions and I need a few back, I see no where to add new

actions.

> >> One, for instance is the Video Downloader extension, Firefox now

tells
> >> me no association for this type, do I just uninstall this extension

and
> >> reinstall it? Would this be the case for most other programs to
> >> reassociate file types? Do they only associate themselves when

programs/
> >> extensions get installed?
> >>
> >> I would think when you attempt to run something not associated.

Firefox
> >> would ask what you want to do with this type of file.
> >>
> >> Thanx!
> >>

> > FF has no editor for MIME/Helper applications; SeaMonkey still does.
> > When you download (or click on) an undefined file-type FF should ask

you
> > how you want it to handle it.
> >

> In Firefox, to add a new helper application, simply download a file of
> that type. Since no helper application is set, Firefox will ask you

what
> to do with the file. Tell it, and check the 'remember' box, a new

helper
> appliation setting will be created for you.

not for the Video Downloader extension it doesn't, I get Alert message:
Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol
(mms) isn't associated with any program.

I'm thinking that I need to uninstall and reinstall the extension for it
to reassociate.

SG

"SG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed). ..

> "Moz Champion (Dan)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%Scrh.403517$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Ed Mullen wrote:

tools/downloads/view
> &

> actions.

> tells

extension
> and

> programs/

> Firefox

> > > FF has no editor for MIME/Helper applications; SeaMonkey still

does.
> > > When you download (or click on) an undefined file-type FF should

ask
> you
> > > how you want it to handle it.
> > >

> > In Firefox, to add a new helper application, simply download a file

of
> > that type. Since no helper application is set, Firefox will ask you

> what
> > to do with the file. Tell it, and check the 'remember' box, a new

> helper
> > appliation setting will be created for you.

> not for the Video Downloader extension it doesn't, I get Alert

message:
> Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol
> (mms) isn't associated with any program.
>
> I'm thinking that I need to uninstall and reinstall the extension for

it
> to reassociate.

on the other hand, mms is probably not supported