Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Using filters

Using filters

Stubby

I am trying to make a filter that will reject all messages sent by MI5*
(any sender beginning with MI5). I enter the filter definition and go
back to the thread. When I look at Tools, Run filters... is gray.
Going back into Message Filters, my definition is gone.

Can someone tell me how to fix this? TB 1.5.0.9. TIA

Moz Champion (Dan)

Stubby wrote:
> I am trying to make a filter that will reject all messages sent by MI5*
> (any sender beginning with MI5). I enter the filter definition and go
> back to the thread. When I look at Tools, Run filters... is gray. Going
> back into Message Filters, my definition is gone.
>
> Can someone tell me how to fix this? TB 1.5.0.9. TIA

Hmmm, okay try this.

Highlight one of those MI5 messages, and select Message-->Create Filter
From Message

does that work better?

Stubby

Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
> Stubby wrote:
>> I am trying to make a filter that will reject all messages sent by
>> MI5* (any sender beginning with MI5). I enter the filter definition
>> and go back to the thread. When I look at Tools, Run filters... is
>> gray. Going back into Message Filters, my definition is gone.
>>
>> Can someone tell me how to fix this? TB 1.5.0.9. TIA

> Hmmm, okay try this.
>
> Highlight one of those MI5 messages, and select Message-->Create Filter
> From Message
>
> does that work better?

Sorry, but no. The "run filters" command on the menu is still gray.
NB. I made the action be Mark Thread as Read rather than delete. Do
filters work on newsgroups?

Moz Champion (Dan)

Stubby wrote:

> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
>> Stubby wrote:
>>> I am trying to make a filter that will reject all messages sent by
>>> MI5* (any sender beginning with MI5). I enter the filter definition
>>> and go back to the thread. When I look at Tools, Run filters... is
>>> gray. Going back into Message Filters, my definition is gone.
>>>
>>> Can someone tell me how to fix this? TB 1.5.0.9. TIA

>> Hmmm, okay try this.
>>
>> Highlight one of those MI5 messages, and select Message-->Create
>> Filter From Message
>>
>> does that work better?

> Sorry, but no. The "run filters" command on the menu is still gray.
> NB. I made the action be Mark Thread as Read rather than delete. Do
> filters work on newsgroups?

LOL Message filters for newsgroups dont work on extant messages, they
only work on NEW messages. The MI5 posts you see now will not be
affected, but any new ones will

Mumia W. (on aioe)

On 01/04/2007 11:44 AM, Stubby wrote:
> I am trying to make a filter that will reject all messages sent by MI5*
> (any sender beginning with MI5). I enter the filter definition and go
> back to the thread. When I look at Tools, Run filters... is gray. Going
> back into Message Filters, my definition is gone.
>
> Can someone tell me how to fix this? TB 1.5.0.9. TIA

That shouldn't happen. I've had MI5* killfiled for at least a week.

However, for newsgroups, new additions to the filters only affect newly
downloaded messages. You can't "run filters" on the current messages in
the newsgroup folder.

Since MI5-Soon-To-Be-Straight-Jacketed likes to spam many newsgroups, a
server-level filter will do you well.

Try to add the new filter item but don't bother with "run filters."
Close and re-open TB. The filter item *should* still be there.

http://home.earthlink.net/~mumia.w.18.spam/afilter.png

Windows Vista and your freedom in conflict:
http://www.badvista.org/

Moz Champion (Dan)

Stubby wrote:

> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
>> Stubby wrote:
>>> I am trying to make a filter that will reject all messages sent by
>>> MI5* (any sender beginning with MI5). I enter the filter definition
>>> and go back to the thread. When I look at Tools, Run filters... is
>>> gray. Going back into Message Filters, my definition is gone.
>>>
>>> Can someone tell me how to fix this? TB 1.5.0.9. TIA

>> Hmmm, okay try this.
>>
>> Highlight one of those MI5 messages, and select Message-->Create
>> Filter From Message
>>
>> does that work better?

> Sorry, but no. The "run filters" command on the menu is still gray.
> NB. I made the action be Mark Thread as Read rather than delete. Do
> filters work on newsgroups?

LOL

filters wont work on messages already received in newsgroups, they
only work for NEW messages.
Sorry, in testing this (for I had forgotten the newsgroup limitation
on new) I managed to killfile myself (hey, had to test on a message
right... and didnt want to inadvertently block important ones <g>)
so you might see two message along this line of though <g>

Keith (Southend)

Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

You maybe able to help me with this one?

I get an awful lot of junk through my Demon e-mail account and notice
that most of it uses my address @*****.demon.co.uk yet in front of the @
marker may have any combination of letters ght@ jheyd@ etc etc how can I
set up a filter that will trash anything other than my legitimate name
before the @ marker?

Many thanks

--
Keith (Southend)
http://www.southendweather.net

Andy Luddy

Keith (Southend) wrote:
> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
>
> You maybe able to help me with this one?
>
> I get an awful lot of junk through my Demon e-mail account and notice
> that most of it uses my address @*****.demon.co.uk yet in front of the @
> marker may have any combination of letters ght@ jheyd@ etc etc how can I
> set up a filter that will trash anything other than my legitimate name
> before the @ marker?
>
> Many thanks

For email, (and you must have an email account selected when you do
this, because it won't work with news), I'd say: "To or CC", "doesn't
contain", and your name (or rather, your address w/out the domain).
However, anything that you received as a BCC would be filtered, which
you may or may not view as a problem.

--
Andy Luddy
Perform appendectomy to reply

Keith (Southend) wrote:
> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
>
> You maybe able to help me with this one?
>
> I get an awful lot of junk through my Demon e-mail account and notice
> that most of it uses my address @*****.demon.co.uk yet in front of the @
> marker may have any combination of letters ght@ jheyd@ etc etc how can I
> set up a filter that will trash anything other than my legitimate name
> before the @ marker?
>
> Many thanks
>
> --
> Keith (Southend)
> http://www.southendweather.net
> e-mail: kreh at southendweather dot net

First you have to understand message filters. When creating one filter
[lets call it Southend Weather Filter, you can have as many filters in
that Southend as you want. And its the first filter within that group
that will get acted on first. If the first one doesn't get triggered,
then it goes to the next one and so one.

Second, lets say you have only two filters named Westend Weather
Filter and Southend Weather Filter. West is first in the list, and
will get activated upon first, then the next one and so on.

Next, lets say this is your email address: (E-Mail Removed)

So create one filter, using From and To "contains"
(E-Mail Removed) will be moved to dev.null folder.

Then click on the + and create another one saying "doesn't contain"
(E-Mail Removed) be moved to the trash later folder. You
want it to the trash later folder so you can check them to make sure
there is nothing there that you need.

That would be my suggestion.

Keith (Southend)

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Keith (Southend) wrote:
>> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
>>
>> You maybe able to help me with this one?
>>
>> I get an awful lot of junk through my Demon e-mail account and notice
>> that most of it uses my address @*****.demon.co.uk yet in front of the @
>> marker may have any combination of letters ght@ jheyd@ etc etc how can I
>> set up a filter that will trash anything other than my legitimate name
>> before the @ marker?
>>
>> Many thanks
>>
>> --
>> Keith (Southend)
>> http://www.southendweather.net
>> e-mail: kreh at southendweather dot net

> First you have to understand message filters. When creating one filter
> [lets call it Southend Weather Filter, you can have as many filters in
> that Southend as you want. And its the first filter within that group
> that will get acted on first. If the first one doesn't get triggered,
> then it goes to the next one and so one.
>
> Second, lets say you have only two filters named Westend Weather
> Filter and Southend Weather Filter. West is first in the list, and
> will get activated upon first, then the next one and so on.
>
> Next, lets say this is your email address: (E-Mail Removed)
>
> So create one filter, using From and To "contains"
> (E-Mail Removed) will be moved to dev.null folder.
>
> Then click on the + and create another one saying "doesn't contain"
> (E-Mail Removed) be moved to the trash later folder. You
> want it to the trash later folder so you can check them to make sure
> there is nothing there that you need.
>
> That would be my suggestion.

Thank you for your replies on this, I think I've got the demon e-mail
filtered ok now, I am sending it to the trash folder, so I can monitor
what's getting caught, however you have explained in more detail how to
manage these filters.