Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Can I disable the "Additional Plugins are required" message?

Can I disable the "Additional Plugins are required" message?

Janice P.

I am *SO* sick of this "Additional Plugins are required" message that I am
ready to scream. I don't have Flash. I don't want Flash. I am never going
to want Flash. But at least fifty times a day, I have to look at this
annoying message pop up and cause the whole page I'm reading to drop shift
vertically so Firefox can nag me about plugins. Then there's the "Install
missing plugins" message, and next, the little red X square to close the
nag. Many times I've taken a quick and angry stab at the Close icon and hit
the "Install missing plugins" button by accident instead, which is about a
hundred times bigger, and had it start going online searching for Flash to
screw up my installation. I cancel as fast as possible and close all tabs
and close Firefox and cuss and spit and pant and grit my teeth and try to
catch my breath and wonder if it's time to go back to Netscape.

And if you thought it was tedious reading all of that, imagine how tedious I
find it to have to DO it, many, MANY times every day.

I need Firefox to stop nagging me about plugins. Please help.

J.

Ralph Fox

On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 20:05:02 -0700, in message <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Janice P. wrote:

> I am *SO* sick of this "Additional Plugins are required" message that I am
> ready to scream. I don't have Flash. I don't want Flash. I am never going
> to want Flash. But at least fifty times a day, I have to look at this
> annoying message pop up and cause the whole page I'm reading to drop shift
> vertically so Firefox can nag me about plugins. Then there's the "Install
> missing plugins" message, and next, the little red X square to close the
> nag. Many times I've taken a quick and angry stab at the Close icon and hit
> the "Install missing plugins" button by accident instead, which is about a
> hundred times bigger, and had it start going online searching for Flash to
> screw up my installation. I cancel as fast as possible and close all tabs
> and close Firefox and cuss and spit and pant and grit my teeth and try to
> catch my breath and wonder if it's time to go back to Netscape.
>
> And if you thought it was tedious reading all of that, imagine how tedious I
> find it to have to DO it, many, MANY times every day.
>
> I need Firefox to stop nagging me about plugins. Please help.

See these pages

1. Mozillazine, "Disabling yellow plugin bar - Firefox"
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Disabling_..._bar_-_Firefox

2. Mozillazine forums, "Disable "Additional Plugins Required" Yellow Strip"
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...04c38db15d5d1d

3. "Additional plugins are required..."
http://www.trilithium.com/johan/2005...ional-plugins/

--
Cheers,
Ralph

Janice P.

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 05:55:27 +0000, Ralph Fox <(E-Mail Removed)> posted:

>See these pages

Oh, sweet relief! I feel like I've had a splinter removed from my eye.
Thank you, Ralph.

J.

Ralph Fox

On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 01:36:09 -0700, in message <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Janice P. wrote:

> Oh, sweet relief! I feel like I've had a splinter removed from my eye.
> Thank you, Ralph.

You're welcome.

Heavens.To.Murgatroid@gmail.com

> I can sure feel your frustrations with this. In fact I became so
> frustrated with this same thing that I finally went back to IE as my
> default browser. These days I only use Firefox on an occasional
> basis, when I encounter a site that appears a security risk.
> Otherwise I use IE. Those required plugins are one of Firefox's
> biggest flaws, and without those plugins, at least 4 out of every 10
> websites dont work properly. Who needs that hassle, when IE works
> fine, and I have a few add-ons for IE to stop popups and disable
> Flash. I will also mention that no popup stoppers seem to work 100%
> of the time for Firefox or for IE, these days, and it keeps getting
> worse. Of course I know that's because the spammers intentionally
> evade the popup stoppers so they can irritate us with their garbage.
>

> Jim

believe it or not, but IE has plugins, too. As a matter of fact, most
of the plugins for IE also work for FF. I've never had a problem with
anysite and plugins so I don't know where you get your statistic of 4
out of every 10.

oldsdelta88@none.com

I can sure feel your frustrations with this. In fact I became so
frustrated with this same thing that I finally went back to IE as my
default browser. These days I only use Firefox on an occasional
basis, when I encounter a site that appears a security risk.
Otherwise I use IE. Those required plugins are one of Firefox's
biggest flaws, and without those plugins, at least 4 out of every 10
websites dont work properly. Who needs that hassle, when IE works
fine, and I have a few add-ons for IE to stop popups and disable
Flash. I will also mention that no popup stoppers seem to work 100%
of the time for Firefox or for IE, these days, and it keeps getting
worse. Of course I know that's because the spammers intentionally
evade the popup stoppers so they can irritate us with their garbage.

Jim

-----