Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > setup file and print sharing

setup file and print sharing

=?Utf-8?B?S2VpdGg=?=

I have a Wireless Linksys router that I use to access the internet through on
2 PC's. One PC is running XP Pro and the other XP Home. Both connect to the
Internet without any problems, but they don't share files with each other.
They have wired connections into the router.

I now have a Vista home Premium Laptop. It too can access the Internet
through the Router using a wireless connection. But I have tried to share
some directories on the XP home PC so the Vista machine can access them, but
Vista dosn't seam to see either the PC or the shared directories / printer.

Have I missed a step or two?

JP Bless

Are all the pcs on same workgroup? Check and ensure all pcs belong to same
workgroup and "printer and file sharing" is enabled in all pcs

"Keith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a Wireless Linksys router that I use to access the internet through
>on
> 2 PC's. One PC is running XP Pro and the other XP Home. Both connect to
> the
> Internet without any problems, but they don't share files with each other.
> They have wired connections into the router.
>
> I now have a Vista home Premium Laptop. It too can access the Internet
> through the Router using a wireless connection. But I have tried to share
> some directories on the XP home PC so the Vista machine can access them,
> but
> Vista dosn't seam to see either the PC or the shared directories /
> printer.
>
> Have I missed a step or two?

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
This following might help with File Sharing.
http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
to be shared.
Basic XP -
Vista - http://www.microsoft.com/technet/network/evaluate/vista_fp.mspx>
Printer Sharing XP -
Firewall setting for Sharing XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
As for Vista printing, make sure that your printer has drivers for Vista,
and than install them through the Control Panel Printers Ad printer network.
Jack (MVP-Networking).