Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > working through a router

working through a router

I have a laptop that I use at home and at work. When at work, I have access
to the internet but I would like to have access to printers, file servers,
etc. How can I get that accomplished?

Currently my work wireless router has a local ip address on the network and
it assigns my machine a 192.168.0.x address. Is there any way I can log
onto the network in this current configuration?

Thanks!

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Accessing Network resources is not up to your Laptop. The Network components
(like other computer and printer ) have to be set to allow sharing. You have
to speak to the person in charge of the Network.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a laptop that I use at home and at work. When at work, I have
>access to the internet but I would like to have access to printers, file
>servers, etc. How can I get that accomplished?
>
> Currently my work wireless router has a local ip address on the network
> and it assigns my machine a 192.168.0.x address. Is there any way I can
> log onto the network in this current configuration?
>
> Thanks!

Jack MVP,

I wasn't really asking a political question like where do I get permission.
I'm interested in getting the services working through the router. On this
particular dlink, I put my computer on the 'service network' which says that
it by passes the firewall, but I still cannot ping a machine by Windows
computer name.

-j

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> Accessing Network resources is not up to your Laptop. The Network
> components (like other computer and printer ) have to be set to allow
> sharing. You have to speak to the person in charge of the Network.
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have a laptop that I use at home and at work. When at work, I have
>>access to the internet but I would like to have access to printers, file
>>servers, etc. How can I get that accomplished?
>>
>> Currently my work wireless router has a local ip address on the network
>> and it assigns my machine a 192.168.0.x address. Is there any way I can
>> log onto the network in this current configuration?
>>
>> Thanks!

Gordon

"J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jack MVP,
>
> I wasn't really asking a political question like where do I get
> permission. I'm interested in getting the services working through the
> router. On this particular dlink, I put my computer on the 'service
> network' which says that it by passes the firewall, but I still cannot
> ping a machine by Windows computer name.

That's because the administrator of your network at work, hasn't given your
User permissions to do so! Nothing at all to do with politics.....

No, I have all the rights I need. I believe it has something to do with
logging into my laptop. I don't believe I'm logging into the domain. I
have clicked on 'Manage my network password' and added my domain password,
but I don't think this is doing anything. Again, I'm interested in using
the same user account on my laptop to log into the domain at work, and to
simply connect to my wireless network at home.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Jack MVP,
>>
>> I wasn't really asking a political question like where do I get
>> permission. I'm interested in getting the services working through the
>> router. On this particular dlink, I put my computer on the 'service
>> network' which says that it by passes the firewall, but I still cannot
>> ping a machine by Windows computer name.

> That's because the administrator of your network at work, hasn't given
> your User permissions to do so! Nothing at all to do with politics.....

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
In your home, you can do what ever you want to do. However, in a Building
that hosts others you cannot decide on your own to switch On and Off
elevators, add Electrical Wires, or “mess around” with the water system.
Doing any of this can seriously affect and endanger other people.
Similarly, it is with a Business Network. In almost all Businesses, changes
of the Network made by None IT personal are a reason to dismiss the worker.
The mere fact that you need to ask these questions on a Free public forums
shows that you Knowledge of such matters are not suffice to be your own
Network admin.
If you do not know how so do, you do not know what danger to the Network
they entail.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jack MVP,
>
> I wasn't really asking a political question like where do I get
> permission. I'm interested in getting the services working through the
> router. On this particular dlink, I put my computer on the 'service
> network' which says that it by passes the firewall, but I still cannot
> ping a machine by Windows computer name.
>
> -j
>
> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi
>> Accessing Network resources is not up to your Laptop. The Network
>> components (like other computer and printer ) have to be set to allow
>> sharing. You have to speak to the person in charge of the Network.
>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>
>> "J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I have a laptop that I use at home and at work. When at work, I have
>>>access to the internet but I would like to have access to printers, file
>>>servers, etc. How can I get that accomplished?
>>>
>>> Currently my work wireless router has a local ip address on the network
>>> and it assigns my machine a 192.168.0.x address. Is there any way I can
>>> log onto the network in this current configuration?
>>>
>>> Thanks!

Jack MVP,

It's official -- you have gone off the deep end. You remind me of the good
old days when a certain type of newsgroup person would lecture to the poor
souls who dared to ask a question, and would generally answer every question
with a stern 'RTFM'. I'm sure these newsgroup people thought they were
projecting their superiority, but they were just social misfits lost in
their mediocrity. I hope you are not starting a new wave of these, Jack
MVP. I really just asked a couple simple questions, that's all. If you
know the answers, let's hear it. If you don't know the answer, no need to
chime in.

-j

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...