Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Can't see wireless printer

Can't see wireless printer

=?Utf-8?B?TWFnbWFnYWw=?=

I am trying to connect to a wireless printer (HP 6980). Printer is talking to
the wireless router (Linksys WRT54G) just fine as my husband can print over
our wireless network from his Macintosh laptop. I cannot install the printer
on my Win XP machine - cannot even see the printer on the network or by its
IP using either the add printer wizard or the HP installation software. I am
quite sure I do not have any firewalls running. Am at my wits end trying to
solve this - have spent three hours trying to find a solution and I still
can't get Windows to detect the printer over the wireless network. My machine
has no trouble connecting to the wireless network. Any ideas or suggestions
would be appreciated.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Assign to the printer a static IP out of the DHCP range.
Disable temporarily Windows Firewall.
Make sure that you have the latest HP software, and run the HO Installation
software (Not the Printers wizard).
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Magmagal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am trying to connect to a wireless printer (HP 6980). Printer is talking
> the wireless router (Linksys WRT54G) just fine as my husband can print
> over
> our wireless network from his Macintosh laptop. I cannot install the
> printer
> on my Win XP machine - cannot even see the printer on the network or by
> its
> IP using either the add printer wizard or the HP installation software. I
> am
> quite sure I do not have any firewalls running. Am at my wits end trying
> solve this - have spent three hours trying to find a solution and I still
> can't get Windows to detect the printer over the wireless network. My
> machine
> has no trouble connecting to the wireless network. Any ideas or
> suggestions
> would be appreciated.

Lem

Magmagal wrote:
> I am trying to connect to a wireless printer (HP 6980). Printer is talking to
> the wireless router (Linksys WRT54G) just fine as my husband can print over
> our wireless network from his Macintosh laptop. I cannot install the printer
> on my Win XP machine - cannot even see the printer on the network or by its
> IP using either the add printer wizard or the HP installation software. I am
> quite sure I do not have any firewalls running. Am at my wits end trying to
> solve this - have spent three hours trying to find a solution and I still
> can't get Windows to detect the printer over the wireless network. My machine
> has no trouble connecting to the wireless network. Any ideas or suggestions
> would be appreciated.

If Jack's suggestions haven't helped, run a "HP Report" page from the
printer's front panel buttons (push the button with a check mark icon).
This will show you the URL to access the printer's Embedded Web Server
(the configuration utility), the IP address assigned to the printer, the
network SSID the printer is looking for, the communication mode (ad hoc
or infrastructure), the authentication mode, and the wireless encryption
setting (among lots of other information).

Can you connect to the EWS? What happens if you type the printers IP
address into a web browser on the computer? In order to communicate
with your WRT54G, the printer must be in infrastructure mode, its SSID
must be the same as that assigned in the WRT54G, and its encryption mode
and key must be identical to that set in the WRT54G. If you can't
communicate with the printer, you will probably have to access its EWS
and re-configure it properly.

Although the 6980 has two automatic configuration modes (Secure Easy
Setup - used by some Linksys devices - and Windows Connect Now), I
suggest doing it manually by connecting the printer to your computer
with an Ethernet cable, waiting until the printer's network connection
light comes on, and then printing out another HP Report. You now should
be able to connect to the URL for the EWS and configure the wireless
settings appropriately.
--
Lem MS MVP -- Networking

alan silverman

Did you get an answer? I am having the same problem --- printer does not "see" SSID of neytwork, which happily supports two laptops. HP and Netgear so far seem mystified.