Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > networking two pc together with wireless networking ?

networking two pc together with wireless networking ?

Andy

Hello,

I need a bit of help here. I have recently got wireless broadband
(Orange Livebox). My father has his PC downstairs with a Belkin USB
adapter to get the signal from the livebox. I have my PC upstairs and
also have a Belkin USB adapter to get the signal from the livebox too.

My question is, can i link the 2 PC's together using the Belkin USB
adapters wirelessly ?, i.e. can he have access to my picture files and
mp3's and can i have access to his ?

If this is possible then how do i do it ?

It's Win XP Media Centre

Kind Regards,
Andrew

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
If the two PCs can use the Internet at the same time, then your Orange
Livebox is probably a Wireless Router too, and you can Share files between
the two PCs by setting File Sharing on both computers.
http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
to be shared.
Basic XP -
Advanced XP -
Vista - http://www.microsoft.com/technet/net.../vista_fp.mspx
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Andy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> I need a bit of help here. I have recently got wireless broadband
> (Orange Livebox). My father has his PC downstairs with a Belkin USB
> adapter to get the signal from the livebox. I have my PC upstairs and
> also have a Belkin USB adapter to get the signal from the livebox too.
>
> My question is, can i link the 2 PC's together using the Belkin USB
> adapters wirelessly ?, i.e. can he have access to my picture files and
> mp3's and can i have access to his ?
>
> If this is possible then how do i do it ?
>
> It's Win XP Media Centre
>

> Kind Regards,
> Andrew

Andy

Many thanks Jack, that helps a great deal. I have managed to file share
now.

One further question is, am i right in assuming that (for example) my
next door neighbour cannot see the files in my "Shared Files" folder ?.
My Orange Livebox is encrypted at TKIP level ?. You see i only want the
2 PC's we have in our house to share their files (both PC's in our house
share the same wireless broadband router, and are encrypted to TKIP
level).

Many Thanks
Andrew

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).:
> Hi
> If the two PCs can use the Internet at the same time, then your Orange

> Livebox is probably a Wireless Router too, and you can Share files

between
> the two PCs by setting File Sharing on both computers.

settings,
> http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
> As well as specific adjustment of each computer according to what is

allowed
> to be shared.
> Basic XP -

> Advanced XP -
> Vista -

> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "Andy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hello,
>>
>> I need a bit of help here. I have recently got wireless broadband
>> (Orange Livebox). My father has his PC downstairs with a Belkin USB
>> adapter to get the signal from the livebox. I have my PC upstairs

and
>> also have a Belkin USB adapter to get the signal from the livebox

too.

>> My question is, can i link the 2 PC's together using the Belkin USB
>> adapters wirelessly ?, i.e. can he have access to my picture files

and
>> mp3's and can i have access to his ?
>>
>> If this is possible then how do i do it ?
>>
>> It's Win XP Media Centre
>>

>> Kind Regards,
>> Andrew

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
First read this, http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#signal
If your Wireless is encrypted your are fairly secured.
More about Wireless security here, Wireless Security -
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Andy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Many thanks Jack, that helps a great deal. I have managed to file share
> now.
>
> One further question is, am i right in assuming that (for example) my
> next door neighbour cannot see the files in my "Shared Files" folder ?.
> My Orange Livebox is encrypted at TKIP level ?. You see i only want the
> 2 PC's we have in our house to share their files (both PC's in our house
> share the same wireless broadband router, and are encrypted to TKIP
> level).
>
> Many Thanks
> Andrew
>

> Jack \(MVP-Networking\).:
>> Hi
>> If the two PCs can use the Internet at the same time, then your Orange

>> Livebox is probably a Wireless Router too, and you can Share files

> between
>> the two PCs by setting File Sharing on both computers.
>> Successful Sharing involves some general consideration in Network

> settings,
>> http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
>> As well as specific adjustment of each computer according to what is

> allowed
>> to be shared.
>> Basic XP -
>>

> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...lesharing.mspx
>> Advanced XP -
>> Vista -

>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>
>> "Andy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I need a bit of help here. I have recently got wireless broadband
>>> (Orange Livebox). My father has his PC downstairs with a Belkin USB
>>> adapter to get the signal from the livebox. I have my PC upstairs

> and
>>> also have a Belkin USB adapter to get the signal from the livebox

> too.
>>>
>>> My question is, can i link the 2 PC's together using the Belkin USB
>>> adapters wirelessly ?, i.e. can he have access to my picture files

> and
>>> mp3's and can i have access to his ?
>>>
>>> If this is possible then how do i do it ?
>>>
>>> It's Win XP Media Centre
>>>

>>> Kind Regards,
>>> Andrew

Andy

Thanks Jack, as usual that helped a great deal !

Regards,
Andrew

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).:
> Hi
> First read this, http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#signal
> If your Wireless is encrypted your are fairly secured.
> More about Wireless security here, Wireless Security -
> http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "Andy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Many thanks Jack, that helps a great deal. I have managed to file

share
>> now.
>>
>> One further question is, am i right in assuming that (for example)

my
>> next door neighbour cannot see the files in my "Shared Files" folder

?.