Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Can't see main computer on workgroup

Can't see main computer on workgroup

Tracey Kelly

Hi all,

I am having trouble with my wireless network. It worked just fine for over
three years, and recently I tried to add another computer and started
playing with the settings and since have not been able to get it to work.
At the moment, I seem to have a fairly fundamental problem, which I think
has an obvious solution but I can't work out what it is.

I have the main computer (Windows XP Professional), the laptop (Windows XP
Professional), and the new computer(Windows ME) can't see each other,
despite being in the same workgroup. The router is a Netgear MR814, and
this is between the main computer and the two others. The laptop is picking
up the router, according to the network connections, but can't seem to pick
up anything else. Have I missed a step, or is there something else I need
to do?

Tracey

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

If all the computers can connect to the Router (and use the Internet) than
the problem has to do with File Sharing configuration.
May be this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html

"Tracey Kelly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> I am having trouble with my wireless network. It worked just fine for
> over three years, and recently I tried to add another computer and started
> playing with the settings and since have not been able to get it to work.
> At the moment, I seem to have a fairly fundamental problem, which I think
> has an obvious solution but I can't work out what it is.
>
> I have the main computer (Windows XP Professional), the laptop (Windows XP
> Professional), and the new computer(Windows ME) can't see each other,
> despite being in the same workgroup. The router is a Netgear MR814, and
> this is between the main computer and the two others. The laptop is
> picking up the router, according to the network connections, but can't
> seem to pick up anything else. Have I missed a step, or is there
> something else I need to do?
>
> Tracey

Tracey

Yeah unfortunately it is not sharing the internet connection either. It
says on the main computer that the internet connection is enabled to share,
but the only thing that I have is that the laptop can see the router.

Tracey

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If all the computers can connect to the Router (and use the Internet) than
> the problem has to do with File Sharing configuration.
> May be this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
>
> "Tracey Kelly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am having trouble with my wireless network. It worked just fine for
>> over three years, and recently I tried to add another computer and
>> started playing with the settings and since have not been able to get it
>> to work. At the moment, I seem to have a fairly fundamental problem,
>> which I think has an obvious solution but I can't work out what it is.
>>
>> I have the main computer (Windows XP Professional), the laptop (Windows
>> XP Professional), and the new computer(Windows ME) can't see each other,
>> despite being in the same workgroup. The router is a Netgear MR814, and
>> this is between the main computer and the two others. The laptop is
>> picking up the router, according to the network connections, but can't
>> seem to pick up anything else. Have I missed a step, or is there
>> something else I need to do?
>>
>> Tracey

David Hettel

Tracey from what you've said I believe you need to describe your network in
better detail. How do you get the Internet? Do you get a Broadband
connection DSL/Cable? Normally you've have something like a
DSL/Cable/Broadband connection connected to the router's WAN port, then the
notebooks would be connected to the router wirelessly. Your desktop would be
wired to the router, or it could connect wirelessly.

There are other ways this could be connected. In your post you say the
Desktop is configured to **share** the Internet, this would be an incorrect
setting if the DSL/Cable/Broadband connects to the WAN port of the router.
Without knowing more about the actual connections of your network it's hard
to tell you what to do.

--
David Hettel

E-mail or news groups.

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

no rights.

"Tracey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yeah unfortunately it is not sharing the internet connection either. It
> says on the main computer that the internet connection is enabled to
> share, but the only thing that I have is that the laptop can see the
> router.
>
> Tracey
>
> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> If all the computers can connect to the Router (and use the Internet)
>> than the problem has to do with File Sharing configuration.
>> May be this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
>>
>> "Tracey Kelly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I am having trouble with my wireless network. It worked just fine for
>>> over three years, and recently I tried to add another computer and
>>> started playing with the settings and since have not been able to get it
>>> to work. At the moment, I seem to have a fairly fundamental problem,
>>> which I think has an obvious solution but I can't work out what it is.
>>>
>>> I have the main computer (Windows XP Professional), the laptop (Windows
>>> XP Professional), and the new computer(Windows ME) can't see each other,
>>> despite being in the same workgroup. The router is a Netgear MR814, and
>>> this is between the main computer and the two others. The laptop is
>>> picking up the router, according to the network connections, but can't
>>> seem to pick up anything else. Have I missed a step, or is there
>>> something else I need to do?
>>>
>>> Tracey

Tracey

I connect directly to my ISDN connection from my main computer(the modem is
plug directly into the back of the main computer). The router then is
connected to this computer, and is between this computer and the other two.
The cabling is such that it runs from a port at the back of the computer to
one of the four computer ports on the router. I know that this sounds a bit
strange, but like I say it has worked for three years in this
configuration( I have always been able to share the internet connection with
the laptop and file share with no problems at all between the two), but
unfortunately was set up by a computer expert for me initially, which cost
me an arm and a leg, and I do not have the money for this now.

Tracey

"David Hettel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Tracey from what you've said I believe you need to describe your network
> in better detail. How do you get the Internet? Do you get a Broadband
> connection DSL/Cable? Normally you've have something like a
> DSL/Cable/Broadband connection connected to the router's WAN port, then
> the notebooks would be connected to the router wirelessly. Your desktop
> would be wired to the router, or it could connect wirelessly.
>
> There are other ways this could be connected. In your post you say the
> Desktop is configured to **share** the Internet, this would be an
> incorrect setting if the DSL/Cable/Broadband connects to the WAN port of
> the router. Without knowing more about the actual connections of your
> network it's hard to tell you what to do.
>
> --
> David Hettel
>
> Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group for
> everyone
> to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions addressed directly to me
> in
> E-mail or news groups.

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

> indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the use of,
> or
> inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this post and
> confers
> no rights.
>

> "Tracey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Yeah unfortunately it is not sharing the internet connection either. It
>> says on the main computer that the internet connection is enabled to
>> share, but the only thing that I have is that the laptop can see the
>> router.
>>
>> Tracey
>>
>> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> If all the computers can connect to the Router (and use the Internet)
>>> than the problem has to do with File Sharing configuration.
>>> May be this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
>>>
>>> "Tracey Kelly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

David Hettel

OK Tracey I understand your network, Can you tell me the IP addresses of
your computers? I'll need the ones that start 192.168.0.xxx Can you still
access the MR814 from the desktop?

--
> [...]

>> either expressed or implied, made in relation to the accuracy,
>> reliability
>> or content of this post. The author shall not be liable for any direct,
>> indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the use of,
>> or
>> inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this post and
>> confers
>> no rights.
>>

>> "Tracey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Yeah unfortunately it is not sharing the internet connection either. It
>>> says on the main computer that the internet connection is enabled to
>>> share, but the only thing that I have is that the laptop can see the
>>> router.
>>>
>>> Tracey
>>>
>>> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

Tracey

Thanks for your help, David.

I have the desktop as 192.168.0.1
I have the laptop as 192.168.0.2
I have the other computer I was trying to add as 192.168.0.3
I have the router as 192.168.0.99 ( not sure if this is correct or not??)
I tried assigning address automatically but it seem to just bring everything
down when I did that - and also when it was working before they had static
address. Also on the laptop, it was specified that the gateway was
192.168.0.1.

When you say can I access the MR814 from the desktop - do you mean through
the Netgear Router settings - if so, yes. Otherwise, I can see that my Local
Area Connection is working, which I assume means the router is working, and
I can ping the router address through the command screen.

Hope this helps,

> [...]

>>> everyone
>>> to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions addressed directly to
>>> me in
>>> E-mail or news groups.
>>>
>>> Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Program
>>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>>>
>>> DISCLAIMER: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranty of any
>>> kind,
>>> either expressed or implied, made in relation to the accuracy,
>>> reliability
>>> or content of this post. The author shall not be liable for any direct,
>>> indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the use of,
>>> or
>>> inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this post and
>>> confers
>>> no rights.
>>>

>>> "Tracey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

David Hettel

Is your MR814 silver or white? If it is silver does the antenna detach, I am
looking at the manuals for your MR814 and there seems to be three versions.
Do you have the SSID turn on (enabled) and can you see the SSID on the
laptops? This tells us that the Laptops are configured correctly, and the
wireless radios are working.

--
> [...]

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I connect directly to my ISDN connection from my main computer(the modem
>>>is plug directly into the back of the main computer). The router then is
>>>connected to this computer, and is between this computer and the other
>>>two. The cabling is such that it runs from a port at the back of the
>>>computer to one of the four computer ports on the router. I know that
>>>this sounds a bit strange, but like I say it has worked for three years
>>>in this configuration( I have always been able to share the internet
>>>connection with the laptop and file share with no problems at all between
>>>the two), but unfortunately was set up by a computer expert for me
>>>initially, which cost me an arm and a leg, and I do not have the money
>>>for this now.
>>>
>>> Tracey
>>>

>>> "David Hettel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

Tracey

The router is silver, and yes the antenna does detach. There is nowhere
specific to enable the SSID, but yes I do believe it is turned on because I
can see the SSID on the laptops, and even my mobile phone!