Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Computer Locks up

Computer Locks up

=?Utf-8?B?U3RldmUgS2VsbG9nZw==?=

Connecting a wireless desktop on a home network. I recently changed my roter.
When I try and connect to the network via "View wireless networks" choose my
network and hit connect, it locks up my computer, when I have WEP on. It
looks like it does it right as it is connecting. So I turn of security on the
router, and I can connect without a problem. When my computer locks up, it is
frozen solid requiring a reboot. Any ideas why?
--
Thanks Steve

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Wireless Security has to match on the Wireless Router and the Wireless
computer.
So if it works OK when WEP is On, it means that both Wireless Router and
Wireless Computer are set with WEP and this is the way it should work.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Steve Kellogg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Connecting a wireless desktop on a home network. I recently changed my
> roter.
> When I try and connect to the network via "View wireless networks" choose
> my
> network and hit connect, it locks up my computer, when I have WEP on. It
> looks like it does it right as it is connecting. So I turn of security on
> the
> router, and I can connect without a problem. When my computer locks up, it
> is
> frozen solid requiring a reboot. Any ideas why?
> --
> Thanks Steve

=?Utf-8?B?U3RldmUgS2VsbG9nZw==?=

Hi Jack,

When I turn WEP on the compter locks up connecting to the network. When I
have WEP off, I can connect fine. It is a strange problem I have never seen
and can't figure ot.
--
Thanks Steve

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

> Hi
> Wireless Security has to match on the Wireless Router and the Wireless
> computer.
> So if it works OK when WEP is On, it means that both Wireless Router and
> Wireless Computer are set with WEP and this is the way it should work.
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "Steve Kellogg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Connecting a wireless desktop on a home network. I recently changed my
> > roter.
> > When I try and connect to the network via "View wireless networks" choose
> > my
> > network and hit connect, it locks up my computer, when I have WEP on. It
> > looks like it does it right as it is connecting. So I turn of security on
> > the
> > router, and I can connect without a problem. When my computer locks up, it
> > is
> > frozen solid requiring a reboot. Any ideas why?
> > --
> > Thanks Steve

BruceM

Jack had a bad night & lost his glassess.
Does it do it regardless if you use XP to connect or the wireless cards
"program"?
In other words, try to set it to "let windows manage........." & then try it
without.
Doing it without WZC make sure you double check it's OFF by going into
sevices & STOPPING the WZC service & then try it. Still locking up?

"Steve Kellogg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Jack,
>
> When I turn WEP on the compter locks up connecting to the network. When I
> have WEP off, I can connect fine. It is a strange problem I have never
> seen
> and can't figure ot.
> --
> Thanks Steve
>

> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> Wireless Security has to match on the Wireless Router and the Wireless
>> computer.
>> So if it works OK when WEP is On, it means that both Wireless Router and
>> Wireless Computer are set with WEP and this is the way it should work.
>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>
>> "Steve Kellogg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Connecting a wireless desktop on a home network. I recently changed my
>> > roter.
>> > When I try and connect to the network via "View wireless networks"
>> > choose
>> > my
>> > network and hit connect, it locks up my computer, when I have WEP on.
>> > It
>> > looks like it does it right as it is connecting. So I turn of security
>> > on
>> > the
>> > router, and I can connect without a problem. When my computer locks up,
>> > it
>> > is
>> > frozen solid requiring a reboot. Any ideas why?
>> > --
>> > Thanks Steve

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
First follow sharp eyes BruceM advice.
Switching WZC ob and Off here, http://www.ezlan.net/wzc.html
When you are sure that only one Application manages the Wireless, try the
WEP again, http://www.ezlan.net/faq#wep
If your Router and Wireless card can do WPA it is better to use WPA.
My Wireless does not work - http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.htm
Jack (MVP-Networking).

news:(E-Mail Removed)...