Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > File sharing between Win XP to Mac OX

File sharing between Win XP to Mac OX

=?Utf-8?B?VHlwZWF1eA==?=

I have a laptop running Windows XP Home with a wireless card and a Mac OX
desktop, both sharing a cable modem. I understand that I can share files
between the two computers (I'm primarily interested in photos, but could use
several other platform-independent filetypes as well), but have not yet found
how to do it.

Has anyone here done this successfully and have any pointers? Or perhaps
someone has found a reliable website that has this information? Any help
would be greatly appreciated!

-- Typeaux

Axel Hammerschmidt

Typeaux <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have a laptop running Windows XP Home with a wireless card and a Mac OX
> desktop, both sharing a cable modem. I understand that I can share files
> between the two computers (I'm primarily interested in photos, but could use
> several other platform-independent filetypes as well), but have not yet found
> how to do it.

Do NOT turn on file sharing in your peecee with that setup! Use a router
with NAT and a built-in switch and connect it to the modem first. Then
turn on file sharing on the Windows box.

Or disconnect both from the modem and set up an IBSS (ad hoc wireless
network) between them.

> Has anyone here done this successfully and have any pointers? Or perhaps
> someone has found a reliable website that has this information? Any help
> would be greatly appreciated!

Your Mac running OS X (10.2 or later) will connect over tcp/ip to your
Windows computer where file sharing is turned on. Then, in the Finder,
open the "Go" menu and choose "Connect to Server" (Command K). Enter the
Windows ip address in Server Address (smb://192.168.0.55).

And Google is your friend.