Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Connecting Pocket PC to internet via WEP Secured WLAN

Connecting Pocket PC to internet via WEP Secured WLAN

=?Utf-8?B?Qm9iIEQu?=

I have been busy for some days now to connect my new Siemens Pocket Loox N560
(with integrated WiFi adapter; running under WM5) to my home WLAN.
First problem was to get my 128 bits WEP key entered in my Pocket PC, but
after I knew I had to enter the HEX equivalent of the ASCII value my Pocket
PC receives a valid IP address (10.0.0.1) from my router and the LAN is
indicated to be CONNECTED.
However starting IExplorer and entering any URL results in a "page not
found" message indicating that my Pocket PC can not pass through my router to
the internet.
I have seen similar questions in discussion groups but I can not find any
answer on this issue.
Anyone who know what could be wrong ?

David Hettel

If you go to |Start Menu | Settings | Connections | Connections (icon) |
Advanced | Select Networks | What network name is displayed in each box? If
you tap 'Edit' and then Proxy Settings what is displayed?

--
David Hettel

E-mail or news groups.

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

no rights.

"Bob D." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have been busy for some days now to connect my new Siemens Pocket Loox
>N560
> (with integrated WiFi adapter; running under WM5) to my home WLAN.
> First problem was to get my 128 bits WEP key entered in my Pocket PC, but
> after I knew I had to enter the HEX equivalent of the ASCII value my
> Pocket
> PC receives a valid IP address (10.0.0.1) from my router and the LAN is
> indicated to be CONNECTED.
> However starting IExplorer and entering any URL results in a "page not
> found" message indicating that my Pocket PC can not pass through my router
> the internet.
> I have seen similar questions in discussion groups but I can not find any
> answer on this issue.
> Anyone who know what could be wrong ?

=?Utf-8?B?Qm9iIEQu?=

David,

Both boxes indicate "E2C" (referring to FSC's program EasyToConnect) and are
both set to connect to the Internet in the Proxy Settings tab.
I am using version v2.02.0641 (Build: 1125) which is known to have problems
creating WiFi connections on Pocket Loox N560s.

I found the following the fistloox.org/forums (thread 7337): "Any E2C WLAN
based connection, which successfully connects is NOT GUARANTEED to become
recognised by the OS's built-in Connection Manager. The Connection Manager is
not aware of the connection, although it is successfully established. This
will result in applications like pIE and others to not work correctly."

I have meanwhile downloaded & installed Build 1131 of E2C and after some
attempts I have finally succeeded to reach the Internet. Don't ask me how.
However the connection spontaneously drops every now and then and then I
have to start all over again connecting/deconnecting to my WLAN until I got a
working connection. My desktop PCs do not encounter any problems and do have
stable WiFi connections.

I have seen in several forums that E2C is considered to be a notorious
troublemaker. Is there a way of connecting to my home WLAN without E2C >
And next question: Can I remove the old E2C from ROM where it resides now ?

Thank you for your clarification.

Bob D. (Netherlands)