Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Printer Sharing Fails At Times

Printer Sharing Fails At Times

jalway@gmail.com

Hello,

I'm trying to share a printer on a local area network (LinkSys router,
wifi), and at times it works and at times it doesn't work. The
shared file system always works, and the internet gateway works.

The error I get when it's not working after clicking on the printer
icon is: "Operation could not be completed. Either the printer name
was typed incorrectly, or the specified printer has lost its
connection to the server."

I can't believe either are true, since the printer name is the same
one I've always used (by clicking on the printer icon), and the
printer works sometimes and doesn't work other times, despite being
connected always to the same computer. I did disable the firewall
to see if that was the reason, and it had no effect.

All of the computers use WinXP. We have up to about four computers,
two laptops and two desktops. The printer is set up for sharing.

I did notice this, since there is dynamic ip addressing, the ip
address of the computers will change when a new computer logs on, and
this is when things go wrong. For instance, the ip address of the
desktop with the computer was 192.168.1.100 and printer sharing
worked. Then, a lap top was logged on, and it went to 192.168.1.103,
and printer sharing no longer worked. Again, file sharing works the
whole time.

I'd really love to find the solution to this problem. Hope
someone out there has some ideas!

Thanks, John

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
There is few solutions to stabilize the availability of the printer over the
Network..
The best is to get a Network Capable Printer connect it to the Network via
available port, configure with a Static IP and would available to all
computers as an independent device.
If you can not afford a Network Printer, make sure that the computer with
the printer has a Static IP so that it can be found always in the same IP.
No matter what do not put the printer on a Wired computer. Wireless
instability might interfere with printing process.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to share a printer on a local area network (LinkSys router,
> wifi), and at times it works and at times it doesn't work. The
> shared file system always works, and the internet gateway works.
>
> The error I get when it's not working after clicking on the printer
> icon is: "Operation could not be completed. Either the printer name
> was typed incorrectly, or the specified printer has lost its
> connection to the server."
>
> I can't believe either are true, since the printer name is the same
> one I've always used (by clicking on the printer icon), and the
> printer works sometimes and doesn't work other times, despite being
> connected always to the same computer. I did disable the firewall
> to see if that was the reason, and it had no effect.
>
> All of the computers use WinXP. We have up to about four computers,
> two laptops and two desktops. The printer is set up for sharing.
>
> I did notice this, since there is dynamic ip addressing, the ip
> address of the computers will change when a new computer logs on, and
> this is when things go wrong. For instance, the ip address of the
> desktop with the computer was 192.168.1.100 and printer sharing
> worked. Then, a lap top was logged on, and it went to 192.168.1.103,
> and printer sharing no longer worked. Again, file sharing works the
> whole time.
>
> I'd really love to find the solution to this problem. Hope
> someone out there has some ideas!
>
> Thanks, John

jalway@gmail.com

Thanks, Jack.

I hadn't realized it, but the printer is network capable, so I just
found some RJ45 and went through setup, and the printer now works for
all computers on the network.

Thanks again!

...John

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
LOL, I should be so lucky to discover that my printer is a Network
Printer.
You are welcome.