Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > DWL-G132 D-Link USB Adapter + DI624M = "not connected"

DWL-G132 D-Link USB Adapter + DI624M = "not connected"

steele

Hi, everyone. I'm totally new to this, so please bear with me.

I got a DWL-G132 Wireless USB Adapter and a DI624M router, both from
D-
Link, but can't seem to get a Wireless connection going. I installed
both as instructed by the rather crude manuals. I set up the router
through Setup Wizard, also as instructed, via the 192.168.0.1 URL.

I still get a white D logo with a red line moving up and down instead
of the green one which indicates a wireless connection. If I hover
the
mouse over it, I get the message "D-Link airplus Xtreme G DWL g132
Wireless USB Adapter(rev. A) Not Connected!" Searching for
connections
through Windows or the D-Link software turns up nothing. Lights on
the
router seem to indicate the cables are connected properly.

Any ideas? I can't even determine whether the problem is with the
router or the adapter.

Thanks in advance

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Assuming that the Hardware is new you probably did not configure the
Wireless settings correctly.
http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"steele" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi, everyone. I'm totally new to this, so please bear with me.
>
> I got a DWL-G132 Wireless USB Adapter and a DI624M router, both from
> D-
> Link, but can't seem to get a Wireless connection going. I installed
> both as instructed by the rather crude manuals. I set up the router
> through Setup Wizard, also as instructed, via the 192.168.0.1 URL.
>

> I still get a white D logo with a red line moving up and down instead
> of the green one which indicates a wireless connection. If I hover
> the
> mouse over it, I get the message "D-Link airplus Xtreme G DWL g132
> Wireless USB Adapter(rev. A) Not Connected!" Searching for
> connections
> through Windows or the D-Link software turns up nothing. Lights on
> the
> router seem to indicate the cables are connected properly.
>

> Any ideas? I can't even determine whether the problem is with the
> router or the adapter.
>

> Thanks in advance

thyago.marques@gmail.com

On 15 fev, 14:17, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi
> Assuming that the Hardware is new you probably did not configure the
> Wireless settings correctly.http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html

Thanks for the tips. I noticed that the WLAN led is never lit, so the
problem must be with the router. Following your guide, I noticed that
my local connection is "limited" because "the network did not assign a
network address to the computer". I can't renew the IP either so
"repair" doesn't help. Is that what's causing the problem? Any idea
why that is happening?

Thanks again.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
It seems to me that the Router does not work.
Did you tried to connect a computer with Wire and check the Router settings.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> On 15 fev, 14:17, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Hi
>> Assuming that the Hardware is new you probably did not configure the
>> Wireless settings correctly.http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html

> Thanks for the tips. I noticed that the WLAN led is never lit, so the
> problem must be with the router. Following your guide, I noticed that
> my local connection is "limited" because "the network did not assign a
> network address to the computer". I can't renew the IP either so
> "repair" doesn't help. Is that what's causing the problem? Any idea
> why that is happening?
>
> Thanks again.

steele

On 16 fev, 13:39, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi
> It seems to me that the Router does not work.
> Did you tried to connect a computer with Wire and check the Router settings.
> Jack (MVP-Networking).

Connected with the Ethernet cable, the connection seems to work fine.
I can browse the internet, change the router settings, etc. So I'm
pretty sure the WAN and LAN settings are correct. It's the Wireless
part I can't get to work. These are the settings I get when I check
"status" through the DI-624M's setup utility (I replaced some of the
numbers and letter for Xs because I'm not sure it was safe to post
these numbers. Sorry if I'm being stupid) :

LAN
MAC Address 00-15-e9-XX-XX-XX
IP Address 192.XXX.0.1
Subnet Mask 255.XXX.255.0
DHCP Server Enabled

WAN
MAC Address 00-15-XX-XX-f3-65
Connection Dynamic PPPoE Connected
IP Address 200.XXX.XX.115
Subnet Mask 255.XXX.XXX.255
Gateway 200.XXX.XXX.210
DNS 200.XXX.0.10

WIRELESS
MAC Address 00-00-00-00-00-00
SSID thyago
Channel 6

Why is the MAX Address for the Wireless portion all zeroes? I'm
guessing the problem is there. Anyway of fixing that?

There just isn't much to do with the wireless settings of the D-Link
DI-624M. The options are Wireless Radio On/Off (naturally I set it
on). Channel (6 by default, but I tried others) and Super G Mode (with
Dynamic Turbo on by default, but I tried turning it off). The other
options are SSID Broadcast, Authentication and WEP Encryption. Since
I'm not concerned with security right now, I'm leaving everything wide
open. I don't see what else I could be doing here.

I have never seen the WLAN led lit, except when it flashes along with
the others as I reset the router. I believe that means no wireless
signals are being emitted. What I don't understand is when that led
should turn on - whenever the router is powered on, after it's
properly configured or only when it can communicate with a wireless
adpater? The manual says that "a solid light indicates the wireless
segment is ready", whatever that means.

I'm beginning to wonder if the router is defective. Is there anyway of
verifying that before I go through the hassel of returning it?

Thanks yet again and sorry for the long post.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi

The missing MAC address is of the Wireless part of the Router it is common
that it will not show up when using card's utility.

Try to configure the Wireless Computer with Windows Zero Configuration. If
the hardware is working correctly your Router should appear in the available
Wireless Networks even if you are not connected to it.

Use you wired computer to log to the Router's menus and check all the
setting (No Wizards any more).

The content of these pages might help you in your quest.

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"steele" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> On 16 fev, 13:39, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Hi
>> It seems to me that the Router does not work.
>> Did you tried to connect a computer with Wire and check the Router
>> settings.
>> Jack (MVP-Networking).

> Connected with the Ethernet cable, the connection seems to work fine.
> I can browse the internet, change the router settings, etc. So I'm
> pretty sure the WAN and LAN settings are correct. It's the Wireless
> part I can't get to work. These are the settings I get when I check
> "status" through the DI-624M's setup utility (I replaced some of the
> numbers and letter for Xs because I'm not sure it was safe to post
> these numbers. Sorry if I'm being stupid) :
>
> LAN
> MAC Address 00-15-e9-XX-XX-XX
> IP Address 192.XXX.0.1
> Subnet Mask 255.XXX.255.0
> DHCP Server Enabled
>
> WAN
> MAC Address 00-15-XX-XX-f3-65
> Connection Dynamic PPPoE Connected
> IP Address 200.XXX.XX.115
> Subnet Mask 255.XXX.XXX.255
> Gateway 200.XXX.XXX.210
> DNS 200.XXX.0.10
>
> WIRELESS
> MAC Address 00-00-00-00-00-00
> SSID thyago
> Channel 6
>
> Why is the MAX Address for the Wireless portion all zeroes? I'm
> guessing the problem is there. Anyway of fixing that?
>
> There just isn't much to do with the wireless settings of the D-Link
> DI-624M. The options are Wireless Radio On/Off (naturally I set it
> on). Channel (6 by default, but I tried others) and Super G Mode (with
> Dynamic Turbo on by default, but I tried turning it off). The other
> options are SSID Broadcast, Authentication and WEP Encryption. Since
> I'm not concerned with security right now, I'm leaving everything wide
> open. I don't see what else I could be doing here.
>
> I have never seen the WLAN led lit, except when it flashes along with
> the others as I reset the router. I believe that means no wireless
> signals are being emitted. What I don't understand is when that led
> should turn on - whenever the router is powered on, after it's
> properly configured or only when it can communicate with a wireless
> adpater? The manual says that "a solid light indicates the wireless
> segment is ready", whatever that means.
>
> I'm beginning to wonder if the router is defective. Is there anyway of
> verifying that before I go through the hassel of returning it?
>
> Thanks yet again and sorry for the long post.

Lem

steele wrote:
> On 16 fev, 13:39, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Hi
>> It seems to me that the Router does not work.
>> Did you tried to connect a computer with Wire and check the Router settings.
>> Jack (MVP-Networking).

> Connected with the Ethernet cable, the connection seems to work fine.
> I can browse the internet, change the router settings, etc. So I'm
> pretty sure the WAN and LAN settings are correct. It's the Wireless
> part I can't get to work. These are the settings I get when I check
> "status" through the DI-624M's setup utility (I replaced some of the
> numbers and letter for Xs because I'm not sure it was safe to post
> these numbers. Sorry if I'm being stupid) :
>
> LAN
> MAC Address 00-15-e9-XX-XX-XX
> IP Address 192.XXX.0.1
> Subnet Mask 255.XXX.255.0
> DHCP Server Enabled
>
> WAN
> MAC Address 00-15-XX-XX-f3-65
> Connection Dynamic PPPoE Connected
> IP Address 200.XXX.XX.115
> Subnet Mask 255.XXX.XXX.255
> Gateway 200.XXX.XXX.210
> DNS 200.XXX.0.10
>
> WIRELESS
> MAC Address 00-00-00-00-00-00
> SSID thyago
> Channel 6
>
> Why is the MAX Address for the Wireless portion all zeroes? I'm
> guessing the problem is there. Anyway of fixing that?
>
> There just isn't much to do with the wireless settings of the D-Link
> DI-624M. The options are Wireless Radio On/Off (naturally I set it
> on). Channel (6 by default, but I tried others) and Super G Mode (with
> Dynamic Turbo on by default, but I tried turning it off). The other
> options are SSID Broadcast, Authentication and WEP Encryption. Since
> I'm not concerned with security right now, I'm leaving everything wide
> open. I don't see what else I could be doing here.
>
> I have never seen the WLAN led lit, except when it flashes along with
> the others as I reset the router. I believe that means no wireless
> signals are being emitted. What I don't understand is when that led
> should turn on - whenever the router is powered on, after it's
> properly configured or only when it can communicate with a wireless
> adpater? The manual says that "a solid light indicates the wireless
> segment is ready", whatever that means.
>
> I'm beginning to wonder if the router is defective. Is there anyway of
> verifying that before I go through the hassel of returning it?
>
> Thanks yet again and sorry for the long post.

It seems as if the wireless portion of your router is defective. Call
D-Link and tell them that the MAC address for the wireless portion is
all zeros and ask if they have any diagnostic procedures they'd like you
to run. They may suggest that you do a hard reset (hold the reset
button in for about 30 seconds). You can try this first and see if it
helps. Be aware that this reset will erase all the settings you made to
the router (your SSID, your WAN Userid/Password, etc.) and return to
factory defaults.

MAC address is a unique address for each piece of hardware. It should
not be all zeros.

BTW, you don't need to XXX out portions of the various addresses.

The LAN address is the private IP address your router shows to your
internal local network. In your case, 192.168.0.1 with a subnet mask of
255.255.255.0 (this is default for most D-Link routers).

The WAN address is the IP assigned to you (i.e., your router) by your
ISP. This is the address that is visible to the Internet. The WAN
Gateway is the address of your ISP's server that you connect to in order
to get to the Internet.

steele

On 17 fev, 17:50, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Try to configure the Wireless Computer with Windows Zero Configuration. If
> the hardware is working correctly your Router should appear in the available
> Wireless Networks even if you arenot connectedto it.

No, WZC says no wireless networks available. Does that mean the
hardware is faulty?

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
If you checked your Wireless Router Wireless section, and there is SSID
entry and it set to Broadcast On, and the Radio is set to On, and you do not
see the Wireless Router, then follow Lem advise, call D-link.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...