Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Home Network File Sharing

Home Network File Sharing

Justin Roberts

Good Evening,

Currently I have two computers; a desktop that runs XP (Comp 1) and a laptop
that runs Vista Home Premium (Comp2). I set up a wireless network (via a
wireless router) and both connect successfully to the internet via its
respective wirelss tools. I want to be able to share the printer from my
Comp 1 on the network, as well as access the Comp 1 hardrive through the
network.

I was told that I simply had to enable sharing, but I can't get either
computer to show up as accesible through the network.

Suggestions?

Johan Engdahl

Are you running any Windows Firewalls ? If you do, try to disable them and
try again.

Johan Engdahl
CCSA, CCSE, CCA, MCP | johan AT firewall1 DOT nu | http://www.firewall1.nu

"Justin Roberts" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Good Evening,
>
> Currently I have two computers; a desktop that runs XP (Comp 1) and a
> laptop that runs Vista Home Premium (Comp2). I set up a wireless network
> (via a wireless router) and both connect successfully to the internet via
> its respective wirelss tools. I want to be able to share the printer from
> my Comp 1 on the network, as well as access the Comp 1 hardrive through
> the network.
>
> I was told that I simply had to enable sharing, but I can't get either
> computer to show up as accesible through the network.
>
> Suggestions?

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
to be shared.
Basic XP -
Advanced XP -
Vista - http://www.microsoft.com/technet/net.../vista_fp.mspx
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Justin Roberts" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Good Evening,
>
> Currently I have two computers; a desktop that runs XP (Comp 1) and a
> laptop that runs Vista Home Premium (Comp2). I set up a wireless network
> (via a wireless router) and both connect successfully to the internet via
> its respective wirelss tools. I want to be able to share the printer from
> my Comp 1 on the network, as well as access the Comp 1 hardrive through
> the network.
>
> I was told that I simply had to enable sharing, but I can't get either
> computer to show up as accesible through the network.
>
> Suggestions?

Justin Roberts

Thanks for the suggestion. I am now able to get my computers to detect each
other on the network, however, I am still having trouble. When I try and
access the hard drive of my desktop (via my lap top), it won't allow me
access to any of its sub folders (e.g. program files, my documents, etc.).
It appears to be restricting access for some reason. I thought I had all
sharing options enabled though.

In addition, when I try and connect to my desktop printer through the
network, it will read that the printer exists, but I am not able to send a
successful print job through

news:(E-Mail Removed)...