Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > WPA AES & WPA2 AES

WPA AES & WPA2 AES

max

Hi,

Could someone reply with the difference between WPA with AES
encryption & WPA2 with AES encryption.

thanks

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
From the weakest to the Strongest..
No Security
MAC
WEP
WPA-PSK
WPA-AES
WPA2
----------------------------
What is WEP WPA, and WPA2 - <http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html>
The security must be set according to lowest capable Wireless component.
I.e. even most of you Wireless are capable to do WPA2, but one device is
only capable to do WEP, the whole system must be configured to WEP.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"max" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hi,
>
> Could someone reply with the difference between WPA with AES
> encryption & WPA2 with AES encryption.
>
> thanks

Philip Doragh

> "max" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>> Hi,
>>
>> Could someone reply with the difference between WPA with AES
>> encryption & WPA2 with AES encryption.
>>
>> thanks

Though Jack gave you the array of choices, he did not describe the
DIFFERENCE between WPA and WPA2 with AES encryption.

First off, though some vendors provided the ability, AES was not a part of
the WPA interoperable test specification from the WiFi Alliance. And that
is basically what WPA and WPA2 are, they are test interoperability
specifications. WPA was built of a draft release of 802.11i and supported a
new key generation algorithm and encryption process called TKIP, while WPA2
was built from the full "Real Secure Network" definition in the final
802.11i specification and included new encryption process named AES.

While all of that is a nice history lesson, the DIFFERENCE between the two
deals with the manner and algorithms used to authenticate user/shared key
and generation of the key sent to the MAC layer to actually encrypt the data
packets going between the AP and client.

Phil Doragh

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
The paged linked in my post above describes the differences.
http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

news:LnEAh.5929$(E-Mail Removed) ...