Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Only one computer showing in workgroup

Only one computer showing in workgroup

strixbubo

I have two laptops. I am trying to connect them through a wireless
network.

I have followed the Windows procedure, it did'nt work. Someone told me
I had to choose the "adhoc" settings and write a new address,
different from the wired network, in the wireless connection of each
computer, in "properties" under TCP/IP protocol.

So I wrote 192.168.2.1 (instead of 192.168.1.2, the address I use
for the same computer linked to another through a cable) and
192.168.2.2 in the other laptop. The wireless connection opened with
a reassuring message (signal strength, excellent).

But when I click on "see computers in the workgroup", there is only
one icon, the other laptop does not appear, even though they both
belong to a Mshome workgroup. Explanation, solution ?

Thanks if you can help.

David Hettel

Perhaps it would be helpful it you explained what you are ultimately trying
to accomplish here. You appear to have a functional network why not just add
the laptop to that network. When you have one computer connected to two
networks, the wired and wireless it makes life much more complicated. So if
you share what your ultimate goal is, security for the laptop, an Internet
connection for the laptop, we might have a better solution for you.

--
David Hettel

E-mail or news groups.

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

no rights.

"strixbubo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have two laptops. I am trying to connect them through a wireless
> network.
>
> I have followed the Windows procedure, it did'nt work. Someone told me
> I had to choose the "adhoc" settings and write a new address,
> different from the wired network, in the wireless connection of each
> computer, in "properties" under TCP/IP protocol.
>
> So I wrote 192.168.2.1 (instead of 192.168.1.2, the address I use
> for the same computer linked to another through a cable) and
> 192.168.2.2 in the other laptop. The wireless connection opened with
> a reassuring message (signal strength, excellent).
>
> But when I click on "see computers in the workgroup", there is only
> one icon, the other laptop does not appear, even though they both
> belong to a Mshome workgroup. Explanation, solution ?
>
> Thanks if you can help.

strixbubo

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 09:00:16 -0500, "David Hettel"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Perhaps it would be helpful it you explained what you are ultimately trying
>to accomplish here. You appear to have a functional network why not just add
>the laptop to that network.

Thanks for your thoughts,

I have a cabled connection between a desktop with an ADSL cabled
connection to the Internet but without WIFi, and one laptop.

I am just trying to link both laptops, with WiFI, through a
wireless connection.

I am not a computer professional, but I was under the impression that
it was a largely independent problem. I thought that a computer
could be part of two networks. May be I am wrong there...

But this may not be necessary since Windows seems to offer the
possibility to create a link between two connections ... ?

I could probably install WiFI on the desktop, but then I would need
a card, perhaps a router, which I don't have. And one laptop is
always close to the desktop, which makes a cable link convenient. And
it is there and functional already.

And in any case the main problem is that I could make a a wireless
connection between both laptops, but from one I cannot see the
other...

> When you have one computer connected to two
>networks, the wired and wireless it makes life much more complicated. So if
>you share what your ultimate goal is, security for the laptop, an Internet
>connection for the laptop, we might have a better solution for you.

Frankster

It is not clear to me in your message, but... assuming you have a high speed
connection using a modem/router that both of these machines are connecting
to...

- You don't need ad-hoc, remove that
- You don't need "two networks", put the IPs back to the same network as
your router
- You do need for both machines to have the same workgroup name (Properties
of My Computer - Computer name Change... make sure the Workgroup name is the
same for both machines. - Reboot)
- Now they should be able to "see" each other - and you can create shared
drives on each and copy data back and forth, as well as access the internet
from each.

-Frank

"strixbubo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have two laptops. I am trying to connect them through a wireless
> network.
>
> I have followed the Windows procedure, it did'nt work. Someone told me
> I had to choose the "adhoc" settings and write a new address,
> different from the wired network, in the wireless connection of each
> computer, in "properties" under TCP/IP protocol.
>
> So I wrote 192.168.2.1 (instead of 192.168.1.2, the address I use
> for the same computer linked to another through a cable) and
> 192.168.2.2 in the other laptop. The wireless connection opened with
> a reassuring message (signal strength, excellent).
>
> But when I click on "see computers in the workgroup", there is only
> one icon, the other laptop does not appear, even though they both
> belong to a Mshome workgroup. Explanation, solution ?
>
> Thanks if you can help.

David Hettel

Ok Based on what you added here, try this page;
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...02april08.mspx
It sounds like you have the basic Ad-Hoc setup correctly. This page will
show you how to add ICS, (Internet Connection Sharing) to add the ability
for the wired Laptop to share it's wired connection to the internet, with
the other wireless laptop. There is no need to buy any additional hardware
or software, (but just my two cents here at the cost of a wireless/router
today $30.00~$50.00 for a basic one it would make a lot of sense to replace
your router) the the wired laptop must remain on for the wireless one to
connect.

As to not being able to see each other, using ICS may fix this, the wireless
Laptop will be configure to use Dynamic DHCP, or it may be a problem with
your firewall settings. This page may help with your network sharing,
http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html

--
David Hettel

E-mail or news groups.

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

no rights.

"strixbubo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 09:00:16 -0500, "David Hettel"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Perhaps it would be helpful it you explained what you are ultimately
>>trying
>>to accomplish here. You appear to have a functional network why not just
>>add
>>the laptop to that network.

> Thanks for your thoughts,
>
> I have a cabled connection between a desktop with an ADSL cabled
> connection to the Internet but without WIFi, and one laptop.
>
> I am just trying to link both laptops, with WiFI, through a
> wireless connection.
>
> I am not a computer professional, but I was under the impression that
> it was a largely independent problem. I thought that a computer
> could be part of two networks. May be I am wrong there...
>
> But this may not be necessary since Windows seems to offer the
> possibility to create a link between two connections ... ?
>
> I could probably install WiFI on the desktop, but then I would need
> a card, perhaps a router, which I don't have. And one laptop is
> always close to the desktop, which makes a cable link convenient. And
> it is there and functional already.
>
> And in any case the main problem is that I could make a a wireless
> connection between both laptops, but from one I cannot see the
> other...
>
>> When you have one computer connected to two
>>networks, the wired and wireless it makes life much more complicated. So
>>if
>>you share what your ultimate goal is, security for the laptop, an Internet
>>connection for the laptop, we might have a better solution for you.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi

It is not clear what exactly you concocted but it seem that either you are
lacking one Routing or you have two independent Networks (using the same
name does not insure the uniformity of a Network).

If you need to share Files between the three computers, the simplest. The
best solution would be adding Wireless in the form of Wireless Cable/DSL
Router.

There units on sale (in the USA for about $20-$30). The desktop can stay on
the cable and the two laptops can connect Wirelessly.

Without a Wireless Router and a uniform Network, you would not be able to
use tow ways file sharing.

If your first Routing is done by hardware and the first Laptop is running
WinXP Pro you can Bridge the second Laptop and create a uniform Bridged
Network.

Otherwise, you need to set on the second Laptop with ICS, you would be able
to surf the Internet but sharing file would be one way only.

Bridging.
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true

Sharing.

Basic XP -

Advanced XP -

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"strixbubo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have two laptops. I am trying to connect them through a wireless
> network.
>
> I have followed the Windows procedure, it did'nt work. Someone told me
> I had to choose the "adhoc" settings and write a new address,
> different from the wired network, in the wireless connection of each
> computer, in "properties" under TCP/IP protocol.
>
> So I wrote 192.168.2.1 (instead of 192.168.1.2, the address I use
> for the same computer linked to another through a cable) and
> 192.168.2.2 in the other laptop. The wireless connection opened with
> a reassuring message (signal strength, excellent).
>
> But when I click on "see computers in the workgroup", there is only
> one icon, the other laptop does not appear, even though they both
> belong to a Mshome workgroup. Explanation, solution ?
>
> Thanks if you can help.

=?Utf-8?B?Vmlra2k=?=

This has kind of been a help but my actual question is, I have 1 wifi account
that we use on the road and we would like to be able to sign into the same
wifi account with 2 wireless laptops? Can you tell me how to setup up both
computers to connect to the same wifi account? We have windows xp home.