Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Make PC wireless access point

Make PC wireless access point

=?Utf-8?B?R01BTg==?=

Ok heres my setup...

-I have a computer connected to a wired network in my home
-It conntects to the internet via the wired network
-This computer has a wireless network adapter in addition to the wired one

I want to use the wireless adapter to create a wireless access point for my
house without buying a wireless router. I want to share the internet
connection from the wired network over the wireless adapter so that I can
connect other wireless devices to the internet.

Can someone please explain to me how to do this

Thanks!

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
May be this can Help,
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...02april08.mspx
However, if you need an elaborate Network you are much better of with a
Wireless Router.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"GMAN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ok heres my setup...
>
> -I have a computer connected to a wired network in my home
> -It conntects to the internet via the wired network
> -This computer has a wireless network adapter in addition to the wired one
>
> I want to use the wireless adapter to create a wireless access point for
> my
> house without buying a wireless router. I want to share the internet
> connection from the wired network over the wireless adapter so that I can
> connect other wireless devices to the internet.
>
> Can someone please explain to me how to do this
>
> Thanks!

=?Utf-8?B?R01BTg==?=

I already read that article but its not working correctly. I have the ad hoc
network working but I cannot get internet access on any client computer.

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

> Hi
> May be this can Help,
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...02april08.mspx
> However, if you need an elaborate Network you are much better of with a
> Wireless Router.
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "GMAN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Ok heres my setup...
> >
> > -I have a computer connected to a wired network in my home
> > -It conntects to the internet via the wired network
> > -This computer has a wireless network adapter in addition to the wired one
> >
> > I want to use the wireless adapter to create a wireless access point for
> > my
> > house without buying a wireless router. I want to share the internet
> > connection from the wired network over the wireless adapter so that I can
> > connect other wireless devices to the internet.
> >
> > Can someone please explain to me how to do this
> >
> > Thanks!

David Hettel

It would be most helpful to give some real information, like IP address,
error messages, test that you have done. As it is it could be any number of
things. Can you ping from one computer to another?

--
David Hettel

E-mail or news groups.

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

no rights.

"GMAN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I already read that article but its not working correctly. I have the ad
>hoc
> network working but I cannot get internet access on any client computer.
>
> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> May be this can Help,
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...02april08.mspx
>> However, if you need an elaborate Network you are much better of with a
>> Wireless Router.
>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>
>> "GMAN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Ok heres my setup...
>> >
>> > -I have a computer connected to a wired network in my home
>> > -It conntects to the internet via the wired network
>> > -This computer has a wireless network adapter in addition to the wired
>> > one
>> >
>> > I want to use the wireless adapter to create a wireless access point
>> > for
>> > my
>> > house without buying a wireless router. I want to share the internet
>> > connection from the wired network over the wireless adapter so that I
>> > can
>> > connect other wireless devices to the internet.
>> >
>> > Can someone please explain to me how to do this
>> >
>> > Thanks!

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi

Try it first with one client computer, make sure that there is a valid
connection by pinging from one computer to the other.

Just seeing a statement in the Wireless menus that you see another Wireless
does not mean that you have a valid connection.

Otherwise, you have to look at the Network settings and give more info.
Just by stating that it does not work, there is no knowing where to start
repairing. ( http://www.ezlan.net/debug.html ).

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"GMAN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I already read that article but its not working correctly. I have the ad
>hoc
> network working but I cannot get internet access on any client computer.
>
> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> May be this can Help,
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...02april08.mspx
>> However, if you need an elaborate Network you are much better of with a
>> Wireless Router.
>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>
>> "GMAN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Ok heres my setup...
>> >
>> > -I have a computer connected to a wired network in my home
>> > -It conntects to the internet via the wired network
>> > -This computer has a wireless network adapter in addition to the wired
>> > one
>> >
>> > I want to use the wireless adapter to create a wireless access point
>> > for
>> > my
>> > house without buying a wireless router. I want to share the internet
>> > connection from the wired network over the wireless adapter so that I
>> > can
>> > connect other wireless devices to the internet.
>> >
>> > Can someone please explain to me how to do this
>> >
>> > Thanks!

Axel Hammerschmidt

GMAN <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Ok heres my setup...
>
> -I have a computer connected to a wired network in my home
> -It conntects to the internet via the wired network
> -This computer has a wireless network adapter in addition to the wired one

What kind of wireless network adapter, make and model?

> I want to use the wireless adapter to create a wireless access point for my
> house without buying a wireless router. I want to share the internet
> connection from the wired network over the wireless adapter so that I can
> connect other wireless devices to the internet.
>
> Can someone please explain to me how to do this

Apart from the very good article on www.microsoft.com others have
already mentioned, there are wireless adapters with client software from
ZyXEL that have built in access point capability - only with WEP
encryption though.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
If more hardware is needed, it is better to buy a real Access Point, or a
Router to be used as a Router or as an Access Point (
http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html ).
There are Wireless Routers on sale for less than $10 (see this week
CompUSA).
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Axel Hammerschmidt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1hsoly6.7qdxfc5lpgicN%(E-Mail Removed)...
> GMAN <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Ok heres my setup...
>>
>> -I have a computer connected to a wired network in my home
>> -It conntects to the internet via the wired network
>> -This computer has a wireless network adapter in addition to the wired
>> one

> What kind of wireless network adapter, make and model?
>
>> I want to use the wireless adapter to create a wireless access point for
>> my
>> house without buying a wireless router. I want to share the internet
>> connection from the wired network over the wireless adapter so that I can
>> connect other wireless devices to the internet.
>>
>> Can someone please explain to me how to do this

> Apart from the very good article on www.microsoft.com others have
> already mentioned, there are wireless adapters with client software from
> ZyXEL that have built in access point capability - only with WEP
> encryption though.

Axel Hammerschmidt

Jack (MVP-Networking). <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi
> If more hardware is needed, it is better to buy a real Access Point, or a
> Router to be used as a Router or as an Access Point (
> http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html ).

Oh I agree. However, the OP did not mention his adapter model, so maybe
he already has a software access point - if it's a ZyXEL or other
adapter that comes with a similar client.

rfhone leung

Hi,
May be this can Help,
http://registryfix123.com/

GMA wrote:

Make PC wireless access point
28-Jan-07

Ok heres my setup..

-I have a computer connected to a wired network in my hom
-It conntects to the internet via the wired networ
-This computer has a wireless network adapter in addition to the wired on

I want to use the wireless adapter to create a wireless access point for my
house without buying a wireless router. I want to share the internet
connection from the wired network over the wireless adapter so that I can
connect other wireless devices to the internet

Can someone please explain to me how to do thi

Thanks!

On Sunday, January 28, 2007 7:21 PM
GMA wrote:

Make PC wireless access point
Ok heres my setup..

-I have a computer connected to a wired network in my hom
-It conntects to the internet via the wired networ
-This computer has a wireless network adapter in addition to the wired on

I want to use the wireless adapter to create a wireless access point for my
house without buying a wireless router. I want to share the internet
connection from the wired network over the wireless adapter so that I can
connect other wireless devices to the internet

Can someone please explain to me how to do thi

Thanks!

On Sunday, January 28, 2007 7:34 PM
Jack \(MVP-Networking\). wrote:

Re: Make PC wireless access point
May be this can Help,
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u..._02april08.msp
However, if you need an elaborate Network you are much better of with a
Wireless Router
Jack (MVP-Networking)

"GMAN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

On Sunday, January 28, 2007 7:41 PM
GMA wrote:

I already read that article but its not working correctly.
I already read that article but its not working correctly. I have the ad ho
network working but I cannot get internet access on any client computer

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

On Sunday, January 28, 2007 7:51 PM
David Hettel wrote:

It would be most helpful to give some real information, like IP address, error
It would be most helpful to give some real information, like IP address,
error messages, test that you have done. As it is it could be any number of
things. Can you ping from one computer to another

--
David Hette

Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group for everyon
to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions addressed directly to me i
E-mail or news groups

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Progra
http://mvp.support.microsoft.co

DISCLAIMER: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranty of any kind
either expressed or implied, made in relation to the accuracy, reliabilit
or content of this post. The author shall not be liable for any direct
indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the use of, o
inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this post and confer
no rights

"GMAN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

On Sunday, January 28, 2007 7:53 PM
Jack \(MVP-Networking\). wrote:

HiTry it first with one client computer, make sure that there is a valid

Try it first with one client computer, make sure that there is a valid
connection by pinging from one computer to the other

Just seeing a statement in the Wireless menus that you see another Wireless
does not mean that you have a valid connection

Otherwise, you have to look at the Network settings and give more info.
Just by stating that it does not work, there is no knowing where to start
repairing. ( http://www.ezlan.net/debug.html )

Jack (MVP-Networking)

"GMAN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

GMAN <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

What kind of wireless network adapter, make and model?

Apart from the very good article on www.microsoft.com others have
already mentioned, there are wireless adapters with client software from
ZyXEL that have built in access point capability - only with WEP
encryption though.

On Sunday, January 28, 2007 9:33 PM
Jack \(MVP-Networking\). wrote:

HiIf more hardware is needed, it is better to buy a real Access Point, or a
Hi
If more hardware is needed, it is better to buy a real Access Point, or a
Router to be used as a Router or as an Access Point (
http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html ).
There are Wireless Routers on sale for less than $10 (see this week
CompUSA).
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Axel Hammerschmidt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1hsoly6.7qdxfc5lpgicN%(E-Mail Removed)...

On Monday, January 29, 2007 11:31 AM
hlex wrote:

Re: Make PC wireless access point
Oh I agree. However, the OP did not mention his adapter model, so maybe
he already has a software access point - if it is a ZyXEL or other
adapter that comes with a similar client.

On Wednesday, June 24, 2009 1:43 AM
Indy wrote:

re
You are required to be a member to post replies. After logging in or becoming a member, you will be redirected back to this page.

Win A Free License of SandDock for Silverlight
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...lverlight.aspx

rfhone leung

Hi,this website may help you,
http://registryfix123.com/
If you have any question,you can call me!

hlex wrote:

Re: Make PC wireless access point
GMAN <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

Indy wrote:

re
You are required to be a member to post replies. After logging in or becoming a member, you will be redirected back to this page.

On Wednesday, July 28, 2010 12:52 AM
rfhone leung wrote:

Make PC wireless access point
Hi,
May be this can Help,
http://registryfix123.com/
However, if you need an elaborate Network you are much better of with a Wireless Router.

ASP.NET Providerless Custom Forms Authentication, Roles and Profile with MongoDb
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...h-mongodb.aspx