Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Connecting to wireless network

Connecting to wireless network

=?Utf-8?B?dmFuZXdiaWU=?=

I have a Fujitsu S Series Lifebook laptop and am using a 2Wire 2700 HG-E
Router.

My laptop can detect several wireless networks, but cannot connect to them.

I created one network myself and carefully wrote down the WEP but now when I
type it in, the message is "incorrect WEP".

So is there any way I can find the WEP for that network? I guess not, r that
would kind of defeat the purpose of havnig a WEP in the first place!

So do I just have to delete that network totally, and start again?

Thanks!-
Vanewbie

John Thomas Smith

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 10:03:01 -0800, vanewbie
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I created one network myself and carefully wrote down the WEP but now when I
>type it in, the message is "incorrect WEP".

It has been awhile since I did this, but I think that part of the
network wizard process is to create a "transfer disk" (may be the
wrong term) which you may then load into the target computer to be
sure your settings are correct

If you have a USB ram drive, I think it will work

TigerJohn aka
John Thomas Smith
Personal Page and CatInfo FAQ
http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith
Wife Approved & Named RedHeadedGirlfriend
http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/RedSeat.jpg

Direct 2 U Pond Emporium
Compare Our Pond Prices !!!
Pumps/Filters/Liner/Accessories
http://www.direct2usales.com

Jim

"vanewbie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a Fujitsu S Series Lifebook laptop and am using a 2Wire 2700 HG-E
> Router.
>
> My laptop can detect several wireless networks, but cannot connect to
> them.
>
> I created one network myself and carefully wrote down the WEP but now when
> type it in, the message is "incorrect WEP".
>
> So is there any way I can find the WEP for that network? I guess not, r
> that
> would kind of defeat the purpose of havnig a WEP in the first place!
>
> So do I just have to delete that network totally, and start again?
>
> Thanks!-
> Vanewbie

The router knows the key.
Nevertheless, it is very difficult to get the key correct. It took me
several shots even when I had the laptop next to the computer which was
logged into the router and had the router displaying the key.

In fact, entering the key correctly can take longer than all the rest of the
setup combined.

No, I would not start over.

Jim

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Generate a key in the Router.
Copy the actual Hex string, and paste it in the Wireless computer security
entry.
This is an example from my Wireless Router,
http://www.ezlan.net/example/wep_pass.jpg
Jack (MVP-Networking).