Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > New wireless network problem

Reply
Thread Tools

New wireless network problem

 
 
foam12345
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-27-2007
Recently purchased and installed Linksys WRT54G. Finally managed to
get the computer (Thinkpad T42/XP-SP2 with internal Intel PCI Wireless
Adaptor) to connect to the router but now when trying to load web
pages browser won't connect (Firefox or IE6). Both browsers try dial-
up which suggests the wireless connection not recognized but it shows
connected on the Available Networks page.

Any ideas? Hardware problem, Settings problem?

HELP!

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
=?Utf-8?B?bmFzcw==?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-27-2007


"foam12345" wrote:

> Recently purchased and installed Linksys WRT54G. Finally managed to
> get the computer (Thinkpad T42/XP-SP2 with internal Intel PCI Wireless
> Adaptor) to connect to the router but now when trying to load web
> pages browser won't connect (Firefox or IE6). Both browsers try dial-
> up which suggests the wireless connection not recognized but it shows
> connected on the Available Networks page.
>
> Any ideas? Hardware problem, Settings problem?
>
> HELP!


How do you know that the Thinkpad is connecting to the Router can you see
the SSID network in the Available wireless network when you double click the
Wireless Icon in the Notification Area?.
What error message or line you get on the status bar at the bottom of the
left hand of the page?.
If you can access the Router Page from the Laptop thin see your wireless
authentication input is wrong somewhere.
HTH.
Let us know.
Regards,
nass
------------
www.nasstec.co.uk
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
David Hettel
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-27-2007
Chances are Norton (Symantec) is blocking your internet connection. This
page may help
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...eg=hho&src=hot

--
David Hettel

Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group for everyone
to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions addressed directly to me in
E-mail or news groups.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Program
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

DISCLAIMER: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranty of any kind,
either expressed or implied, made in relation to the accuracy, reliability
or content of this post. The author shall not be liable for any direct,
indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the use of, or
inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this post and confers
no rights.



"foam12345" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Recently purchased and installed Linksys WRT54G. Finally managed to
> get the computer (Thinkpad T42/XP-SP2 with internal Intel PCI Wireless
> Adaptor) to connect to the router but now when trying to load web
> pages browser won't connect (Firefox or IE6). Both browsers try dial-
> up which suggests the wireless connection not recognized but it shows
> connected on the Available Networks page.
>
> Any ideas? Hardware problem, Settings problem?
>
> HELP!
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
foam12345
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-28-2007
To all, thanks for the info.
All Norton products have been removed from the computer and the
registry cleaned of any reference to them.
My quandary is why (apparently) the computer recognizes and connects
to the wireless network, as indicated by the network name and
"Connected" shown on the Available Networks Page with correct SSID yet
no browser recognizes the connection. Attempts to connect to any page
with either IE6 or Firefox 2 time out, even though there is a
recognized connection.

On Jan 27, 3:52 pm, "David Hettel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Chances are Norton (Symantec) is blocking your internet connection. This
> page may helphttp://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/docid/2004093013325136?O...
>
> --
> David Hettel
>
> Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group for everyone
> to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions addressed directly to me in
> E-mail or news groups.
>
> Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Programhttp://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>
> DISCLAIMER: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranty of any kind,
> either expressed or implied, made in relation to the accuracy, reliability
> or content of this post. The author shall not be liable for any direct,
> indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the use of, or
> inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this post and confers
> no rights.
>
> "foam12345" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in messagenews:(E-Mail Removed) oglegroups.com...
>
> > Recently purchased and installed Linksys WRT54G. Finally managed to
> > get the computer (Thinkpad T42/XP-SP2 with internal Intel PCI Wireless
> > Adaptor) to connect to the router but now when trying to load web
> > pages browser won't connect (Firefox or IE6). Both browsers try dial-
> > up which suggests the wireless connection not recognized but it shows
> > connected on the Available Networks page.

>
> > Any ideas? Hardware problem, Settings problem?

>
> > HELP!


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Public Wireless Network together with Private Wireless Network PL Computer Security 1 11-15-2007 03:54 PM
Wireless Network Wizard and scripting updates to wireless network. Jordan Wireless Networking 1 11-03-2007 02:16 PM
Deleting a "Wireless network" created with the wireless network wi =?Utf-8?B?SmFtZXM=?= Wireless Networking 2 02-03-2006 11:18 AM
Wireless Bridge VS Wireless Access Point for DVR connection to wireless network Mark Wireless Networking 0 12-28-2005 09:21 PM
Wireless Network Help with a mixed wired and wireless network Rupert NZ Computing 1 05-09-2004 08:52 PM



Advertisments