Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Problem with Accessing One Computer on a 4-Computer Home Network

Problem with Accessing One Computer on a 4-Computer Home Network

Alan

Hi all,

I'm working on a customer's wireless home network that has 4 computers on
it, all running XP Pro with SP2 and all updates installed. I've used a
Linksys router, and each machine is able to connect to the Web without any
problems.

The customer wants to be able to share printers, which are attached to two
computers, as well as to have a common directory on each machine that will
be visible to all 4 PCs on the network.

I'm having problems with one of the 4 computers not being able to have its
shared folder and attached printer accessed by the other 3 machines. When I
display the Microsoft Windows network via Windows Explorer, the unique
computer name is visible, but when I click on the computer name in order to
see the folder that is being allowed for sharing. I receive an Access Denied
message.

I am able to ping to this machine from the 3 other computers, and
vice-versa, and the "problem" machine is able to access the designated
shared folder on the other 3. Additionally, the other 3 computers are able
to see the contents of each others' files in the network.

To troubleshoot, I've disabled all 3rd party firewalls and, as the network
has a hardware router, I've tried turning off the Windows firewall on the
"problem" PC to see if that makes any difference. It doesn't. I've also
turned off the IPSEC service, as suggested in
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=3...m/?kbid=314067
but this has not helped either.

Does anyone have some thoughts as to what might be going on, and how I can
get my "problem" PC to open itself up to the others?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Alan

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi