Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Re: IP address conflict with 2 laptops!?

Re: IP address conflict with 2 laptops!?

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi

The range of the DHCP might be too small and need to needs expanded so it
can assign more IPs.

In addition, I would suggest that you put the Netgear MP101 music player on
a static IP out of the range of the DHCP.

It is better to put Network devices that are used by other Network clients
on a static IP so they can be always found in the same address.

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"musiclover" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> we have 2 XP wireless acer laptops that were working fine thru a trendnet
> router (which is wired to a W2000pro desktop). yesterday i installed a
> new
> wireless device on the network ( netgear MP101 music player).
> now only one laptop can connect at a time - the other one says it is
> connected strongly, but searches for an IP address then says "windows
> system
> error - IP address conflictc" and 'repair' cannot finish the IP address
> reassign task.
> please help, thanks!!
> --
> musicman toronto

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Depends on how the IP table works many Routers would not assign the same IP
to the same device when it switched Off an On again.

When you have a devices like, Network Printer, Network Storage, or Music
Server, that are accessed from all Network's computers you want theses
device to be found in the same IP address. (Would like your favorite
restaurant to be moved every day from one location to the other ).

Static IP insure s that the device is always at the same address.

As an example, if the range of you DHCP is, x.x.x.100 to x.x.x.199 assigns a
Static IP of x.x.x.50 or x.x.x.200, so it is not conflicting with the DHCP
assigning.

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"musiclover" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> THANKS Lem and Jack. dont think i have it figured out yet.
> The DHCP server is on and all the devices obtain IP automatically. I just
> urned them all on and then 'repaired' my second laptop's IP and it
> works
> for now.
> the range listed in the router config page is ...100 to ...199 and right
> now
> the main desktop computer has 100, 101, 102(why does it have 3??)
> the laptops have 103 1nd 104 and the music player has 105.
> the music player also requests an IP every time it comes on. but it can be
> set to a static address - is that really necessary? what out-of-range
> address would i use? does the music player send it to the router every
> time
> it comes on? the problem started when the music player was off, so how
> does
> that help avoid my problem?
> musicman toronto
>

> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> The range of the DHCP might be too small and need to needs expanded so it
>> can assign more IPs.
>>
>> In addition, I would suggest that you put the Netgear MP101 music player
>> on
>> a static IP out of the range of the DHCP.
>>
>> It is better to put Network devices that are used by other Network
>> clients
>> on a static IP so they can be always found in the same address.
>>
>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>

>> "musiclover" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > we have 2 XP wireless acer laptops that were working fine thru a
>> > trendnet
>> > router (which is wired to a W2000pro desktop). yesterday i installed a
>> > new
>> > wireless device on the network ( netgear MP101 music player).
>> > now only one laptop can connect at a time - the other one says it is
>> > connected strongly, but searches for an IP address then says "windows
>> > system
>> > error - IP address conflictc" and 'repair' cannot finish the IP
>> > address
>> > reassign task.
>> > please help, thanks!!
>> > --
>> > musicman toronto

Lem

musiclover wrote:
> THANKS Lem and Jack. dont think i have it figured out yet.
> The DHCP server is on and all the devices obtain IP automatically. I just
> urned them all on and then 'repaired' my second laptop's IP and it works
> for now.
> the range listed in the router config page is ...100 to ...199 and right now
> the main desktop computer has 100, 101, 102(why does it have 3??)
> the laptops have 103 1nd 104 and the music player has 105.
> the music player also requests an IP every time it comes on. but it can be
> set to a static address - is that really necessary? what out-of-range
> address would i use? does the music player send it to the router every time
> it comes on? the problem started when the music player was off, so how does
> that help avoid my problem?

To add just a little bit to Jack's info, the allowable range in what is
called your local subnet is x.x.x.1 to x.x.x.255. Usually, the router
itself is x.x.x.1. Thus, if the router assigns addresses in the range
x.x.x.100 to x.x.x.199, you can use anything from x.x.x.2 through
x.x.x.99 and x.x.x.200 through x.x.x.255. That's why Jack suggested
using 50 or 200.

Your main computer should not have 3 IP addresses, unless you have three
separate network connections to the router (wire, wire, wireless?). See
if there is a "Refresh" button on your router's display of assigned IP
addresses. The main computer may simply have been assigned these 3 IPs
at different times. I have been fooled this way by forgetting to
"refresh" the DHCP assigned IP address table display.

You could also open a command prompt window on the main computer and
type "ipconfig /all" (without quotes; press enter). This will show you
what IP address(es) your computer thinks it has been assigned. If there
is more than one, it will show you which hardware adapater is assigned
which address, and you should be able to figure things out from there.
(This command will also show the IP address of a "Gateway." That is
your router's IP address.)

--
Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

=?Utf-8?B?bXVzaWNsb3Zlcg==?=

So now one day later the main desktop has again received 3 IP addresses, this
time 102, 103, 104. it does this automatically somehow - what's up with that?

maybe it would work better to assign a permanent address to every device in
the network?
--
musicman toronto

"Lem" wrote:

> musiclover wrote:
> > THANKS Lem and Jack. dont think i have it figured out yet.
> > The DHCP server is on and all the devices obtain IP automatically. I just
> > urned them all on and then 'repaired' my second laptop's IP and it works
> > for now.
> > the range listed in the router config page is ...100 to ...199 and right now
> > the main desktop computer has 100, 101, 102(why does it have 3??)
> > the laptops have 103 1nd 104 and the music player has 105.
> > the music player also requests an IP every time it comes on. but it can be
> > set to a static address - is that really necessary? what out-of-range
> > address would i use? does the music player send it to the router every time
> > it comes on? the problem started when the music player was off, so how does
> > that help avoid my problem?

> To add just a little bit to Jack's info, the allowable range in what is
> called your local subnet is x.x.x.1 to x.x.x.255. Usually, the router
> itself is x.x.x.1. Thus, if the router assigns addresses in the range
> x.x.x.100 to x.x.x.199, you can use anything from x.x.x.2 through
> x.x.x.99 and x.x.x.200 through x.x.x.255. That's why Jack suggested
> using 50 or 200.
>
> Your main computer should not have 3 IP addresses, unless you have three
> separate network connections to the router (wire, wire, wireless?). See
> if there is a "Refresh" button on your router's display of assigned IP
> addresses. The main computer may simply have been assigned these 3 IPs
> at different times. I have been fooled this way by forgetting to
> "refresh" the DHCP assigned IP address table display.
>
> You could also open a command prompt window on the main computer and
> type "ipconfig /all" (without quotes; press enter). This will show you
> what IP address(es) your computer thinks it has been assigned. If there
> is more than one, it will show you which hardware adapater is assigned
> which address, and you should be able to figure things out from there.
> (This command will also show the IP address of a "Gateway." That is
> your router's IP address.)
>
> --
> Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

=?Utf-8?B?bXVzaWNsb3Zlcg==?=

i just tried using 'RUN' with ipconfig /all and something flashed on the
screen in DOS format, then went away in half a second. tried again, same
thing.
--
musicman toronto

"Lem" wrote:

> musiclover wrote:
> > THANKS Lem and Jack. dont think i have it figured out yet.
> > The DHCP server is on and all the devices obtain IP automatically. I just
> > urned them all on and then 'repaired' my second laptop's IP and it works
> > for now.
> > the range listed in the router config page is ...100 to ...199 and right now
> > the main desktop computer has 100, 101, 102(why does it have 3??)
> > the laptops have 103 1nd 104 and the music player has 105.
> > the music player also requests an IP every time it comes on. but it can be
> > set to a static address - is that really necessary? what out-of-range
> > address would i use? does the music player send it to the router every time
> > it comes on? the problem started when the music player was off, so how does
> > that help avoid my problem?

> To add just a little bit to Jack's info, the allowable range in what is
> called your local subnet is x.x.x.1 to x.x.x.255. Usually, the router
> itself is x.x.x.1. Thus, if the router assigns addresses in the range
> x.x.x.100 to x.x.x.199, you can use anything from x.x.x.2 through
> x.x.x.99 and x.x.x.200 through x.x.x.255. That's why Jack suggested
> using 50 or 200.
>
> Your main computer should not have 3 IP addresses, unless you have three
> separate network connections to the router (wire, wire, wireless?). See
> if there is a "Refresh" button on your router's display of assigned IP
> addresses. The main computer may simply have been assigned these 3 IPs
> at different times. I have been fooled this way by forgetting to
> "refresh" the DHCP assigned IP address table display.
>
> You could also open a command prompt window on the main computer and
> type "ipconfig /all" (without quotes; press enter). This will show you
> what IP address(es) your computer thinks it has been assigned. If there
> is more than one, it will show you which hardware adapater is assigned
> which address, and you should be able to figure things out from there.
> (This command will also show the IP address of a "Gateway." That is
> your router's IP address.)
>
> --
> Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

=?Utf-8?B?bXVzaWNsb3Zlcg==?=

what is DHCP lease time? options are from 1 hour to 1 week. it is set at 1
hour.
--
musicman toronto

"Lem" wrote:

> musiclover wrote:
> > THANKS Lem and Jack. dont think i have it figured out yet.
> > The DHCP server is on and all the devices obtain IP automatically. I just
> > urned them all on and then 'repaired' my second laptop's IP and it works
> > for now.
> > the range listed in the router config page is ...100 to ...199 and right now
> > the main desktop computer has 100, 101, 102(why does it have 3??)
> > the laptops have 103 1nd 104 and the music player has 105.
> > the music player also requests an IP every time it comes on. but it can be
> > set to a static address - is that really necessary? what out-of-range
> > address would i use? does the music player send it to the router every time
> > it comes on? the problem started when the music player was off, so how does
> > that help avoid my problem?

> To add just a little bit to Jack's info, the allowable range in what is
> called your local subnet is x.x.x.1 to x.x.x.255. Usually, the router
> itself is x.x.x.1. Thus, if the router assigns addresses in the range
> x.x.x.100 to x.x.x.199, you can use anything from x.x.x.2 through
> x.x.x.99 and x.x.x.200 through x.x.x.255. That's why Jack suggested
> using 50 or 200.
>
> Your main computer should not have 3 IP addresses, unless you have three
> separate network connections to the router (wire, wire, wireless?). See
> if there is a "Refresh" button on your router's display of assigned IP
> addresses. The main computer may simply have been assigned these 3 IPs
> at different times. I have been fooled this way by forgetting to
> "refresh" the DHCP assigned IP address table display.
>
> You could also open a command prompt window on the main computer and
> type "ipconfig /all" (without quotes; press enter). This will show you
> what IP address(es) your computer thinks it has been assigned. If there
> is more than one, it will show you which hardware adapater is assigned
> which address, and you should be able to figure things out from there.
> (This command will also show the IP address of a "Gateway." That is
> your router's IP address.)
>
> --
> Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Type first into the Run bar cmd and press enter.
At the command box's prompt type ipconfig/all
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"musiclover" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>i just tried using 'RUN' with ipconfig /all and something flashed on the
> screen in DOS format, then went away in half a second. tried again, same
> thing.
> --
> musicman toronto
>

> "Lem" wrote:
>
>> musiclover wrote:
>> > THANKS Lem and Jack. dont think i have it figured out yet.
>> > The DHCP server is on and all the devices obtain IP automatically. I
>> > just
>> > urned them all on and then 'repaired' my second laptop's IP and it
>> > works
>> > for now.
>> > the range listed in the router config page is ...100 to ...199 and
>> > right now
>> > the main desktop computer has 100, 101, 102(why does it have 3??)
>> > the laptops have 103 1nd 104 and the music player has 105.
>> > the music player also requests an IP every time it comes on. but it can
>> > be
>> > set to a static address - is that really necessary? what out-of-range
>> > address would i use? does the music player send it to the router every
>> > time
>> > it comes on? the problem started when the music player was off, so how
>> > does
>> > that help avoid my problem?

>> To add just a little bit to Jack's info, the allowable range in what is
>> called your local subnet is x.x.x.1 to x.x.x.255. Usually, the router
>> itself is x.x.x.1. Thus, if the router assigns addresses in the range
>> x.x.x.100 to x.x.x.199, you can use anything from x.x.x.2 through
>> x.x.x.99 and x.x.x.200 through x.x.x.255. That's why Jack suggested
>> using 50 or 200.
>>
>> Your main computer should not have 3 IP addresses, unless you have three
>> separate network connections to the router (wire, wire, wireless?). See
>> if there is a "Refresh" button on your router's display of assigned IP
>> addresses. The main computer may simply have been assigned these 3 IPs
>> at different times. I have been fooled this way by forgetting to
>> "refresh" the DHCP assigned IP address table display.
>>
>> You could also open a command prompt window on the main computer and
>> type "ipconfig /all" (without quotes; press enter). This will show you
>> what IP address(es) your computer thinks it has been assigned. If there
>> is more than one, it will show you which hardware adapater is assigned
>> which address, and you should be able to figure things out from there.
>> (This command will also show the IP address of a "Gateway." That is
>> your router's IP address.)
>>
>> --
>> Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking
>>
>> To the moon and back with 64 Kbits of RAM and 512 Kbits of ROM.

Lem

musiclover wrote:
> what is DHCP lease time? options are from 1 hour to 1 week. it is set at 1
> hour.

This shouldn't really matter, but set it to 1 week. The DHCP server on
your router "leases" IP addresses to the devices on the network for a
period of time. After 50% of the lease time has passed, the client will
attempt to renew the lease. Any time the client boots and the lease is
50% or more passed, the client will attempt to renew the lease.

However, if the lease expires (for example, because the client was off
when it became time to renew), and if another client has been assigned
that IP, the first client will get a different one when it comes back
on. The short lease time may be why the DHCP client table in the router
seems to show multiple IP addresses for one of your computers.

Did you find the "refresh" button for the DHCP table? Does it still
show multiple IP addresses for one computer after you refresh?

What does ipconfig /all show?
--
Lem MS MVP -- Networking