Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Re: Wireless connection at bootup

Re: Wireless connection at bootup

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Which Wireless login your are talking about?
If there is No special security server, Wireless should be ready to action
when Windows finished the boot sequence.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"JD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there a way for me to set my wireless connection to connect at bootup,
> without logging in? My ethernet connection is connected regardless of
> login,
> and allows me to login via my VPN back to our company's office. I would
> like
> to do the same thing using the wireless, but it isn't connected until
> after I
> login.
>
> I run Windows XP Pro SP2, on Dell Latitude D505, with an internal Intel
> PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3A Mini PCI adapter.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> --
> JD
> Developer

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Yap, that the way it is, Wireless needs more software related actions to
start, than hardware Ethernet needs.
I never tried it, but it might be that if you use an external Wireless
Driverless Client Device connected to the Ethernet port of the computer you
might be able to compensate. Devices like this are, Wireless Game adapters
(they can be used on a regular computer), and Access Points that can be
configured to Client Mode.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"JD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> When Windows starts up, the wireless connection is not made until you
> login
> to Windows. Unlike the ethernet connection, a wireless connection, even
> when
> set to automatically connect, only does so when the user logs into
> Windows.
> In order to use the Connect option at login, which is used in this case to
> specify a VPN, the wireless adapter would already have to be connected to
> the
> wireless router. But, it doesn't until the user has finished logging in,
> in
> which case the VPN never connects.
>
> This works fine when I am connected via Ethernet, but always fails when
> using only wireless. The reason it fails is that the wireless has not yet
> connected when the login to Windows is trying to open the VPN.
> --
> JD
> Developer
>

> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> Which Wireless login your are talking about?
>> If there is No special security server, Wireless should be ready to
>> action
>> when Windows finished the boot sequence.
>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>
>> "JD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Is there a way for me to set my wireless connection to connect at
>> > bootup,
>> > without logging in? My ethernet connection is connected regardless of
>> > login,
>> > and allows me to login via my VPN back to our company's office. I
>> > would
>> > like
>> > to do the same thing using the wireless, but it isn't connected until
>> > after I
>> > login.
>> >
>> > I run Windows XP Pro SP2, on Dell Latitude D505, with an internal
>> > Intel
>> > PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3A Mini PCI adapter.
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance.
>> >
>> > --
>> > JD
>> > Developer

Philip Doragh

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> Yap, that the way it is, Wireless needs more software related actions to
> start, than hardware Ethernet needs.

No Jack you are wrong... that is not the way it is....

What needs to occur is that the original poster needs to obtain software
that connects to the access point before login. The embedded WZC does this
and so do many "enterprise" class WLAN clients that include a service
process and GINA module. The difficulty is whether a system
credential/profile or a user credential/profile is being used to log onto
the network. If a user credential/profile is being used, then attachment to
the network happens during the login process (like the modem/VPN dial up
list box that is the default XP Professional login screen), otherwise with a
system credential/profile it can happen after the necessary services are
loaded.

Phil Doragh

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi

I am not saying that my suggestion above is the only solution, or the
ultimate solution.

However, the trust of it is that when using Driverless Wireless Device, as I
described above, the computer does not know that it is on Wireless. The
Driverless Device's output is regular Ethernet, and WZC or any other
Wireless related aspects of the OS are not needed at all. While this
solution would not work if the Wireless Client needs to log directly to a
Wireless Enterprise Network, it might work well with entry-level devices.
Looks to me that the Wireless aspect in the OP is an Entry Level Wireless at
Home.

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Philip Doragh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ybmth.25953$(E-Mail Removed) t...

> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi
>> Yap, that the way it is, Wireless needs more software related actions to
>> start, than hardware Ethernet needs.

> No Jack you are wrong... that is not the way it is....
>
> What needs to occur is that the original poster needs to obtain software
> that connects to the access point before login. The embedded WZC does
> this and so do many "enterprise" class WLAN clients that include a service
> process and GINA module. The difficulty is whether a system
> credential/profile or a user credential/profile is being used to log onto
> the network. If a user credential/profile is being used, then attachment
> to the network happens during the login process (like the modem/VPN dial
> up list box that is the default XP Professional login screen), otherwise
> with a system credential/profile it can happen after the necessary
> services are loaded.
>
> Phil Doragh

What slows Win2k bootup, how can bootup be made faster? Rolf Computer Support 5 05-29-2007 08:11 AM
Slow Bootup Scott Wireless Networking 5 08-18-2005 07:26 PM
Slow bootup =?Utf-8?B?SmltIEI=?= Wireless Networking 0 01-29-2005 08:17 AM
cisco1711 bootup problem.... Captain Cisco 0 08-07-2004 02:50 AM

Advertisments