Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Intel Pro Set software replacment?

Intel Pro Set software replacment?

Ty

Hello all,
I work in a hospital and we have added a large wireless system a
little over a year ago. Since that time we have been tring to over come
some issues with connection loss. We are using a software pakage from
Cerner. The servers are located at thier facility several states away.
We connect through the use of citrix software. By using citrix we find
that even a millisecond loss of signal will disconnect the citrix
connection.

We started out using a authentication software program called
Odyssey for security. We have since been trying diffrent methods to
find out where the problem is and have tried just Zero config.

The issue we belive is that the wireless users may be jumping to a
AP on another floor so we were looking for something that would allows
us to restrict connections to specific APs. Most of our wireless cards
are Intel 2200's and come with the Pro Set software that allows
mandatory AP. The issue is that you cannot specify more than 1 AP. Due
to the large facility we have multiple APs servicing each depatrment so
we needs to restrict connection to more that 1 AP but eliminate APs on
other floors and departments.

I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge of a replacment software
that will allow use to specify more than 1 AP.

Ty

David Hettel

Would it be possible to reconfigure your Access Points so that each
department had it's own SSID and password? Such as all Access Points on 6
floor west use say west6floor and a common password. While all AP on east
use east6floor, and a different password. I am not aware of any software for
the PC that will restrict the PC to a set number AP mac addresses. As I
understand it your PC should remain locked on one access point as long as it
is receiving a signal from it, when the signal fails, it should first look
for other signals from other access points with the same SSID. Having the
first 8 letters in the SSID name different in theory as I understand it
should prevent your PC from jumping from west6floor to Radiology or
east6floor.

The other option I can think of is disabling Windows Zero Config.

--
David Hettel

E-mail or news groups.

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

no rights.

"Ty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hello all,
> I work in a hospital and we have added a large wireless system a
> little over a year ago. Since that time we have been tring to over come
> some issues with connection loss. We are using a software pakage from
> Cerner. The servers are located at thier facility several states away.
> We connect through the use of citrix software. By using citrix we find
> that even a millisecond loss of signal will disconnect the citrix
> connection.
>
> We started out using a authentication software program called
> Odyssey for security. We have since been trying diffrent methods to
> find out where the problem is and have tried just Zero config.
>
> The issue we belive is that the wireless users may be jumping to a
> AP on another floor so we were looking for something that would allows
> us to restrict connections to specific APs. Most of our wireless cards
> are Intel 2200's and come with the Pro Set software that allows
> mandatory AP. The issue is that you cannot specify more than 1 AP. Due
> to the large facility we have multiple APs servicing each depatrment so
> we needs to restrict connection to more that 1 AP but eliminate APs on
> other floors and departments.
>
> I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge of a replacment software
> that will allow use to specify more than 1 AP.
>
> Ty

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi

Putting aside the issue of your specific provider (I do not know what might
or might not work with their system).

Try to contact these people; I believe that they have solution for such
issues, http://www.landesk.com/

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Ty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hello all,
> I work in a hospital and we have added a large wireless system a
> little over a year ago. Since that time we have been tring to over come
> some issues with connection loss. We are using a software pakage from
> Cerner. The servers are located at thier facility several states away.
> We connect through the use of citrix software. By using citrix we find
> that even a millisecond loss of signal will disconnect the citrix
> connection.
>
> We started out using a authentication software program called
> Odyssey for security. We have since been trying diffrent methods to
> find out where the problem is and have tried just Zero config.
>
> The issue we belive is that the wireless users may be jumping to a
> AP on another floor so we were looking for something that would allows
> us to restrict connections to specific APs. Most of our wireless cards
> are Intel 2200's and come with the Pro Set software that allows
> mandatory AP. The issue is that you cannot specify more than 1 AP. Due
> to the large facility we have multiple APs servicing each depatrment so
> we needs to restrict connection to more that 1 AP but eliminate APs on
> other floors and departments.
>
> I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge of a replacment software
> that will allow use to specify more than 1 AP.
>
> Ty

Ty

Hi Jack

We do use LanDesk for our remoting software already which I have to say
is once you use thier software you'll never want another remote
management software again. I was not aware that they offer any type of
wireless software.

David....
We are unable to have Ap's with seprate names as we have many
physicians and users that work through out the hospital and having the
users enter passwords in when they hit a diffrent AP would cause the
entire IT department to look for another job.

You can designate an AP with intel's Pro set software but it is lacking
and we would like an alternative.