Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > wireless connection

wireless connection

=?Utf-8?B?QlQ=?=

I enabled a secure wireless connection by accident and didn't make a note of
the 13 digit password. Now I have a problem when I tried to connect to the
internet and try to disable WEP the internet connection puts it back on. I
also have a problem repairing the connection and the computer tells me that
it cannot find my ip address.

Lem

BT wrote:
> I enabled a secure wireless connection by accident and didn't make a note of
> the 13 digit password. Now I have a problem when I tried to connect to the
> internet and try to disable WEP the internet connection puts it back on. I
> also have a problem repairing the connection and the computer tells me that
> it cannot find my ip address.

BT --

access your router's configuration utility by opening a web browser and
entering your router's IP address. Then reset the encryption. This
time, use WPA, assuming that the wireless adapter in your computer can
handle this. You may have to download a new driver or firmware to make
this so. See your router's User Guide for details, including the
default IP address of the router. If you don't have the UG (it's
probably on a CD that came with the router), download it from the mfr's
web site.

Once you have configured the router, go into the "properties" of your
wireless network connection, select your SSID from the list of
"preferred networks" on the "Wireless Networks" tab, and go to its
"properties" page:
http://screenshots.modemhelp.net/scr...ks/Index.shtml
set the appropriate encryption info on the "association" tab:
http://screenshots.modemhelp.net/scr...isabled).shtml
Remember, if you stay with WEP, you must enter the HEX value of the key
(write it down from the router's configuration page) and not the
alphanumeric password that was used to generate the key.
--
Lem MS MVP -- Networking