Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless connection suddenly stopped

Wireless connection suddenly stopped

=?Utf-8?B?QWFyb24yOQ==?=

My laptop was connected to my wireless router perfectly and i was able to
access the interent with ease, until my sister answered the phone and when
she hung up the phone, i couldnt find my router or recieve and sort of
interent through the router, Do i need to install line filters on my phone
lines? The adsl light wont even come on my router any more either. thanks in
advance

Lem

Aaron29 wrote:
> My laptop was connected to my wireless router perfectly and i was able to
> access the interent with ease, until my sister answered the phone and when
> she hung up the phone, i couldnt find my router or recieve and sort of
> interent through the router, Do i need to install line filters on my phone
> lines? The adsl light wont even come on my router any more either. thanks in
> advance

You need to determine if your problem relates to your DSL connection or
to your wireless connection. Either (or both) could have been affected
by "answering the phone." You definitely need to have line filters on
EVERY telephone and telephone-like device (answering machines, fax
machines, etc) in your house. See: http://www.homephonewiring.com/dsl.html

1. Install filters on all phone devices.
2. Turn off your DSL modem, your router, and your computer.
3. Turn on the DSL modem. Wait until the light indicating a good DSL
signal lights up. This may take 2 or 3 minutes. If you don't get an
indication that you have a DSL connection at this point, call your ISP.

Try connecting your computer directly to your DSL modem. Be SURE to
turn on a firewall first. Use the Windows XP firewall if you have
nothing else.

To connect directly to your DSL modem, you will have to set up a connection:

Boot up your computer and open Network Connections.
Under Network Tasks, click Create a new connection, and then click Next.
Click Connect to the Internet, and then click Next.
Click Setup my connection manually, and then click Next.
Click Connect using a broadband connection that requires a user name and
password.
Follow the instructions in the New Connection Wizard providing the
information from your ISP.

If you can successfully connect by bypassing the router, now turn off
your computer. Connect the router to the DSL modem. Connect the
computer to the router with an Ethernet cable. Turn on the router.
Wait a minute or two for the router to log into your ISP. Now turn the
computer back on.

After your computer has completed its boot up, you should be able to
access your router's configuration utility by opening a web browser and
entering your router's IP address. You will have to consult your
router's User Guide for more detailed info, but typically, the router's
IP is something similar to 192.168.1.1. Log into your router's
configuration utility using the userid and password you defined (or your
router's defaults; again see the router User Guide).

Once you are in your router's configuration utility, you can check to
see if it is properly set up to log into your ISP, and also check and or
reset your wireless configuration settings. You then should be able to
connect wirelessly again.

Is the phone that was answered a cordless phone? If so, do you know
what frequency it uses? If it is cordless and you don't know more, what
make/model is it? If you have 2.4 GHz cordless phones (fairly common)
they may well interfere with your wireless connection, but only while
the phone is in use -- not after it's hung up.

--
Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking