Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > File sharing

File sharing

Cipher

Linksys WRT54G connects two computers.
One computer with XP Home/SP2 is wired.
Other computer with XP Media Center is wireless.
Internet sharing no problem.
Shared folders appear in Network Places on their respective computers.
Shared folders on the wireless appear in Network on the wired computer,
but shared folders on the wired computer do not appear in Network on the
wireless and cannot be added. What should I be checking?

TIA for any help.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Sharing is the same regardless of Wire or Wireless look carefully at all the
settings.
http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
to be shared.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Cipher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Linksys WRT54G connects two computers.
> One computer with XP Home/SP2 is wired.
> Other computer with XP Media Center is wireless.
> Internet sharing no problem.
> Shared folders appear in Network Places on their respective computers.
> Shared folders on the wireless appear in Network on the wired computer,
> but shared folders on the wired computer do not appear in Network on the
> wireless and cannot be added. What should I be checking?
>
> TIA for any help.

Malke

Cipher wrote:

> Linksys WRT54G connects two computers.
> One computer with XP Home/SP2 is wired.
> Other computer with XP Media Center is wireless.
> Internet sharing no problem.
> Shared folders appear in Network Places on their respective computers.
> Shared folders on the wireless appear in Network on the wired computer,
> but shared folders on the wired computer do not appear in Network on the
> wireless and cannot be added. What should I be checking?

This is most commonly caused by a misconfigured firewall. Run the Network
Setup Wizard on all computers, making sure to enable File & Printer
Sharing, and reboot. The only "gotcha" is that this will turn on the XPSP2
Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a third-party firewall or have an
antivirus with "Internet Worm Protection" (like Norton 2005/06) which acts
as a firewall, then you're fine. If you have third-party firewall software,
configure it to allow the Local Area Network traffic as trusted. I usually
do this with my firewalls with an IP range. Ex. would be
subnet.

If one or more of the computers is XP Pro or Media Center:

accounts/passwords on all computers.

b. If you don't care about using Pro's advanced features, leave the Simple
File Sharing enabled.

Simple File Sharing means that Guest (network) is enabled. This means that
anyone without a user account on the target system can use its resources.
This is a security hole but only you can decide if it matters in your
situation.

home directories (My Documents) or Program Files, but you can share folders
inside those directories. A better choice is to simply use the Shared
Documents folder.

If that doesn't work for you, here is an excellent network troubleshooter by
MVP Hans-Georg Michna. Take the time to go through it and it will usually
pinpoint the problem area(s) - http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Cipher

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 12:58:41 -0800, Malke <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> Cipher wrote:
>
>> Linksys WRT54G connects two computers.
>> One computer with XP Home/SP2 is wired.
>> Other computer with XP Media Center is wireless.
>> Internet sharing no problem.
>> Shared folders appear in Network Places on their respective computers.
>> Shared folders on the wireless appear in Network on the wired computer,
>> but shared folders on the wired computer do not appear in Network on the
>> wireless and cannot be added. What should I be checking?

> This is most commonly caused by a misconfigured firewall. Run the Network
> Setup Wizard on all computers, making sure to enable File & Printer
> Sharing, and reboot. The only "gotcha" is that this will turn on the
> XPSP2
> Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a third-party firewall or have an
> antivirus with "Internet Worm Protection" (like Norton 2005/06) which
> acts
> as a firewall, then you're fine. If you have third-party firewall
> software,
> configure it to allow the Local Area Network traffic as trusted. I
> usually
> do this with my firewalls with an IP range. Ex. would be
> 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. Obviously you would substitute your correct
> subnet.
>
> If one or more of the computers is XP Pro or Media Center:
>
> a. If you need Pro's ability to set fine-grained permissions, turn off
> Simple File Sharing (Folder Options>View tab) and create identical user
> accounts/passwords on all computers.
>
> b. If you don't care about using Pro's advanced features, leave the
> Simple
> File Sharing enabled.
>
> Simple File Sharing means that Guest (network) is enabled. This means
> that
> anyone without a user account on the target system can use its resources.
> This is a security hole but only you can decide if it matters in your
> situation.
>
> Then create shares as desired. XP Home does not permit sharing of users'
> home directories (My Documents) or Program Files, but you can share
> folders
> inside those directories. A better choice is to simply use the Shared
> Documents folder.
>
> If that doesn't work for you, here is an excellent network
> troubleshooter by
> MVP Hans-Georg Michna. Take the time to go through it and it will usually
> pinpoint the problem area(s) - http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm
>
> Malke

Great reply. All works perfectly now.
Carl

Malke

Cipher wrote:

> Great reply. All works perfectly now.
> Carl

Excellent! I'm so glad you got it sorted. Thanks for taking the time to let
me know.

Malke