Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Can't get my WAP (linksysWAP11) to prompt for WEP pass-code as opposed to WEP Key

Can't get my WAP (linksysWAP11) to prompt for WEP pass-code as opposed to WEP Key

kharnal

Running 802.11B

When attempting to connect to the network it prompts for the WEP key.
I enter the WEP pass code into the router setup and it generates the
key. I want to be able to enter the pass-code instead.

Malke

kharnal wrote:

> Running 802.11B
>
> When attempting to connect to the network it prompts for the WEP key.
> I enter the WEP pass code into the router setup and it generates the
> key. I want to be able to enter the pass-code instead.

That's not the way your router works. The passphrase is only used to
generate the key. You need to write down the key and enter that into your
computer's wireless manager. If you want to be able to enter a passphrase,
you need to replace your older router with one that can do more advanced
encryption like WPA. The wireless adapter in your computer must support
WPA, however. If it is old, it won't and you'll need to stick with WEP.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

question about switching from WEP to WAP Carol Wireless Networking 10 11-30-2007 04:30 PM
WAP secure, what about WAP keys in wireless settings? Jac Wireless Networking 1 02-11-2006 04:54 AM
WEP and WAP on same network? Clark Wireless Networking 2 07-20-2005 12:07 AM
WAP & WEP Ray Wireless Networking 0 11-08-2004 05:54 PM
Help Reqd: WAP payment gateway, premium SMS and WAP usernames Aaron Whiffin HTML 0 09-04-2003 10:39 AM

Advertisments