Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Help - Need tips on boosting wireless signal and range

Help - Need tips on boosting wireless signal and range

=?Utf-8?B?Unlhbg==?=

I’d like some suggestions on ways to boost the signal for my wireless network
without spending a fortune.
Basic scenario is I need to provide Internet access from a wireless G router
in a basement to two wireless machines, a non-wireless machine, and a
non-wireless IP phone in a basement next door (devices approx 75 feet apart)
There is a paved laneway between the two buildings so wired connections are
not an option.
I have this currently working with a Dlink di-524 router at the Internet
source that is hooked up at a window facing the second basement. The Second
basement has a Linksys WRE54G range expander in window facing the Dlink
di-524. The signal between them is fair even with a reflector around the
antenna on the Dlink router. In the second basement is a wireless laptop,
and wireless server. The wireless server is bridging the network to provide
net access to the IP phone and the non-wireless laptop.
The problem is the signal is fairly weak throughout and I’ve located the
devices to get optimal signal performance. A few days ago I had 942kBps
download and 3660kBps upload (asynchronous fiber Internet connection) between
the Net, router, and my wireless PCs. Now it’s a lot colder out and
there’s more snow on the ground so I think that may be a reason why my
bandwidth tops at 199kBps download 1534kBps upload. Both windows aren’t that
high above ground level. My range expander is just outside and slightly
higher than the window (it’s covered by a deck and won’t come in contact with
snow)
I also managed to snap the antenna off the Linksys card in my server so I
will be returning that and purchasing a new card. I may return the range
expander at the same time because it’s not that helpful either.
In case you’re wondering, no I’m not stealing somebody’s Internet. These are
both work locations. One has a fiber uplink, and the second I’d rather just
set up to tap into the fiber as well.
My question is what would you recommend in this situation for devices to buy
to provide a strong signal between two basements?
Or should I stick with the same setup but use better/stronger equipment?
Any suggestions?

Lem

Ryan wrote:
> I’d like some suggestions on ways to boost the signal for my wireless network
> without spending a fortune.
> Basic scenario is I need to provide Internet access from a wireless G router
> in a basement to two wireless machines, a non-wireless machine, and a
> non-wireless IP phone in a basement next door (devices approx 75 feet apart)
> There is a paved laneway between the two buildings so wired connections are
> not an option.
> I have this currently working with a Dlink di-524 router at the Internet
> source that is hooked up at a window facing the second basement. The Second
> basement has a Linksys WRE54G range expander in window facing the Dlink
> di-524. The signal between them is fair even with a reflector around the
> antenna on the Dlink router. In the second basement is a wireless laptop,
> and wireless server. The wireless server is bridging the network to provide
> net access to the IP phone and the non-wireless laptop.
> The problem is the signal is fairly weak throughout and I’ve located the
> devices to get optimal signal performance. A few days ago I had 942kBps
> download and 3660kBps upload (asynchronous fiber Internet connection) between
> the Net, router, and my wireless PCs. Now it’s a lot colder out and
> there’s more snow on the ground so I think that may be a reason why my
> bandwidth tops at 199kBps download 1534kBps upload. Both windows aren’t that
> high above ground level. My range expander is just outside and slightly
> higher than the window (it’s covered by a deck and won’t come in contact with
> snow)
> I also managed to snap the antenna off the Linksys card in my server so I
> will be returning that and purchasing a new card. I may return the range
> expander at the same time because it’s not that helpful either.
> In case you’re wondering, no I’m not stealing somebody’s Internet. These are
> both work locations. One has a fiber uplink, and the second I’d rather just
> set up to tap into the fiber as well.
> My question is what would you recommend in this situation for devices to buy
> to provide a strong signal between two basements?
> Or should I stick with the same setup but use better/stronger equipment?
> Any suggestions?

There are some suggestions for extending the range of wireless networks
at http://www.ezlan.net/Distance.html Also, you might consider
replacing the D-Link equipment. The Buffalo WHR HP G54, for example,
has a built-in RF amp to increase power
(http://www.buffalotech.com/files/pro..._DS-101905.pdf)

Buffalo (among others) also sells various high gain antennas, e.g., :
http://www.buffalotech.com/products/...ional-antenna/

Or, for a perhaps less expensive solution, you could buy an older model
Linksys WRT54G or WRT54GS or Buffalo WHR G54S and use one of the
available third party firmwares (e.g., DD-WRT) that enable you to
control the output RF power (and thus increase it considerably beyond
what the stock firmware runs at). See www.linksysinfo.org for more details.

Bear in mind, however, that increasing xmit power from the router is
only a partial answer: the link is 2 ways, and the laptops in the
remote location will not be high-power.

What probably will give you the best solution is to set up a wireless
bridge using two Linksys routers with DD-WRT firmware or two Buffalo WHR
HP G54 routers, each of which is connected to a suitable directional
high-gain antenna. You would then connect the two laptops, the VoIP
phone, and the other box to the LAN ports of the end of the bridge in
the remote location (don't use wireless here). The stock Buffalo
firmware supports WDS, but (read below) this cuts available bandwidth.
See http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html and
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Bridge
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php..._Mode_Wireless
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php...router_network
--
Lem MS MVP -- Networking

Lem

Ryan wrote:
> [...]

>> remote location will not be high-power.
>>
>> What probably will give you the best solution is to set up a wireless
>> bridge using two Linksys routers with DD-WRT firmware or two Buffalo WHR
>> HP G54 routers, each of which is connected to a suitable directional
>> high-gain antenna. You would then connect the two laptops, the VoIP
>> phone, and the other box to the LAN ports of the end of the bridge in
>> the remote location (don't use wireless here). The stock Buffalo
>> firmware supports WDS, but (read below) this cuts available bandwidth.
>> See http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html and
>> http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Bridge
>> http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php..._Mode_Wireless
>> http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php...router_network
>> --
>> Lem MS MVP -- Networking
>>
>> To the moon and back with 64 Kbits of RAM and 512 Kbits of ROM.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireles...ibution_System for some
of the disadvantages of WDS. It's not clear to me whether the
"wireless bridge" or "client mode wireless" modes available with DD-WRT
similarly result in bandwidth loss. I haven't thought that one through.

I can tell you, however, a Linksys WRT54G running DD-WRT v23 sp2 can
definitely use WPA-PSK (AES) encryption. I doubt that the Buffalo
native WDS does so, although a Buffalo running DD-WRT would. I use a
WRT54G v3 running stock Linksys firmware together with a WRT54G v4
running DD-WRT v23 sp2 in "wireless bridge mode" to connect a Slingbox
to the Internet, and it works very well.

If no one else here comments, you might post a question re the relative
merits of "wireless bridge," "client mode wireless," and WDS on the
DD-WRT forum. http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/

--
Lem MS MVP -- Networking

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Just small remarks to augment Lem advise.
The Buffalo HP is a better solution then the Linksys because of the High
Power.
The Linksys WRT54G from a power perspective are like the regular Buffalo
(Not High power).
This page explains from a Wireless point of view why Native High Power is
better.
http://www.ezlan.net/WHR-HP-G54.html
As is, the Buffalo WDS/Bridging can do only WEP, so using DD-WRT adds
security.
Bridging is Better, WDS results in loosing 50% of the bandwidth. One radio
unit in WDS (Repeater) Flip-flops between Transmit and Receive, thus loose
half of the cycle.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

news:(E-Mail Removed)...