Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Connecting wireless routers wirelessly

Connecting wireless routers wirelessly

theRepublicanHegemon@gmail.com

I have two wireless routers, WRT54G v. 2 and BEFW11S4 v. 4. I'll call
them A and B respectively. Router A is connected to the a modem which
connects to the internet and one computer, running windows XP, is
hardwired to it. Router B is in a different room connecting two
computers, one running linux connecting wirelessly and the other
windows XP hardwired. A wireless game adapter is plugged into router
B's internet port and connects to router A. My problem is that I
cannot see the computers on my network from the computer connected to
router B, nor can I share printers or files. I've heard about WDS but,
correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think that will work in my case since
router B is an older different model than the first and plus, I don't
want to cut my connection speed in half. Any support would be greatly
appreciated.

David Hettel

I believe you would need to turn router B into an access point, this page
may help; http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html In your case ignore the
instructions to plug router B into router A, leave your wireless game
adapter connection as it is. Note you need to reboot the computers connected
to router B to regain access to the Internet.

--
David Hettel

E-mail or news groups.

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

no rights.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>I have two wireless routers, WRT54G v. 2 and BEFW11S4 v. 4. I'll call
> them A and B respectively. Router A is connected to the a modem which
> connects to the internet and one computer, running windows XP, is
> hardwired to it. Router B is in a different room connecting two
> computers, one running linux connecting wirelessly and the other
> windows XP hardwired. A wireless game adapter is plugged into router
> B's internet port and connects to router A. My problem is that I
> cannot see the computers on my network from the computer connected to
> router B, nor can I share printers or files. I've heard about WDS but,
> correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think that will work in my case since
> router B is an older different model than the first and plus, I don't
> want to cut my connection speed in half. Any support would be greatly
> appreciated.

Axel Hammerschmidt

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have two wireless routers, WRT54G v. 2 and BEFW11S4 v. 4. I'll call
> them A and B respectively. Router A is connected to the a modem which
> connects to the internet and one computer, running windows XP, is
> hardwired to it. Router B is in a different room connecting two
> computers, one running linux connecting wirelessly and the other
> windows XP hardwired. A wireless game adapter is plugged into router
> B's internet port and connects to router A. My problem is that I
> cannot see the computers on my network from the computer connected to
> router B, nor can I share printers or files. I've heard about WDS but,
> correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think that will work in my case since
> router B is an older different model than the first and plus, I don't
> want to cut my connection speed in half. Any support would be greatly
> appreciated.

Connect the game adapter to a LAN port on B instead and remember to
disable DHCP server in B if you havn't already done so. Then it will
work like a switch.

Echo

I disabled the DHCP server, changed the ip of router B to 192.168.1.2,
router A is 192.168.1.1, disabled the filters like David's link
suggested, and changed the cable to a LAN port instead of the WAN, but
I'm not receiving an internet connection. I tried David's way first,
then added on Axel's variation. Should the ip on the computer
connected to router B have a static or dynamic ip? Its currently
static with an ip of 192.168.1.200 with the gateway being router B.
Should I configure something extra on the router to recognize the LAN
connection of the game adapter? Thanks for the help so far.

On Jan 7, 9:20 pm, (E-Mail Removed) (Axel Hammerschmidt) wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > I have two wireless routers, WRT54G v. 2 and BEFW11S4 v. 4. I'll call
> > them A and B respectively. Router A is connected to the a modem which
> > connects to the internet and one computer, running windows XP, is
> > hardwired to it. Router B is in a different room connecting two
> > computers, one running linux connecting wirelessly and the other
> > windows XP hardwired. A wireless game adapter is plugged into router
> > B's internet port and connects to router A. My problem is that I
> > cannot see the computers on my network from the computer connected to
> > router B, nor can I share printers or files. I've heard about WDS but,
> > correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think that will work in my case since
> > router B is an older different model than the first and plus, I don't
> > want to cut my connection speed in half. Any support would be greatly
> > appreciated.Connect the game adapter to a LAN port on B instead and remember to

> disable DHCP server in B if you havn't already done so. Then it will
> work like a switch.

Echo

Nevermind, I fixed it. Everything works fine now. I set the internet
connection on my computer to dhcp after I changed all the things you
said and it worked right away. Thanks for all your help, saved tons of
time it would have taken me to figure out what was wrong.