Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Two networks

Reply
Thread Tools

Two networks

 
 
=?Utf-8?B?Um9kUw==?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-06-2007
I have a (hard wired) LAN using a Router that is connected to my ADSL modem.
This enables visitors to my home to plug into the socket in their bedroom.
(OS is XP Professional SP2)

However, some visitors only have wireless networking (indeed, I might even
buy a laptop myself with wireless facilities). Can I buy a wireless router
and plug it into a spare USB port on my computer to allow them to then "patch
through" to my Router and so to the ADSL Modem to enable them to access the
Internet?

In theory I can see no reason why I cannot have two networks (and so share
files etc. across any computer on either network) but I'm not sure about how
to set up the visiting computer to connect to my computer over the wireless
link and then to the Router and so to the ADSL modem.

Any help would be appreciated.

--
RodS
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Malke
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-06-2007
donotspam wrote:

> I have a (hard wired) LAN using a Router that is connected to my ADSL
> modem. This enables visitors to my home to plug into the socket in their
> bedroom. (OS is XP Professional SP2)
>
> However, some visitors only have wireless networking (indeed, I might even
> buy a laptop myself with wireless facilities). Can I buy a wireless router
> and plug it into a spare USB port on my computer to allow them to then
> "patch through" to my Router and so to the ADSL Modem to enable them to
> access the Internet?
>
> In theory I can see no reason why I cannot have two networks (and so share
> files etc. across any computer on either network) but I'm not sure about
> how to set up the visiting computer to connect to my computer over the
> wireless link and then to the Router and so to the ADSL modem.


It would be simpler to either change the current router for a wired one or
to purchase a wireless access point.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
=?Utf-8?B?Um9kUw==?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-06-2007
Sorry Malke - the current Router is "wired" and connected to each computer
via the LAN and also to an ADSL Modem. What I want to do is to connect a
wireless Router to my "main" computer and thus allow a "visiting" computer
with wireless facilities to connect to the Internet. I realise that this may
mean that my main computer has to be switched on to act as a bridge between
the two networks.
--
RodS


"Malke" wrote:

> donotspam wrote:
>
> > I have a (hard wired) LAN using a Router that is connected to my ADSL
> > modem. This enables visitors to my home to plug into the socket in their
> > bedroom. (OS is XP Professional SP2)
> >
> > However, some visitors only have wireless networking (indeed, I might even
> > buy a laptop myself with wireless facilities). Can I buy a wireless router
> > and plug it into a spare USB port on my computer to allow them to then
> > "patch through" to my Router and so to the ADSL Modem to enable them to
> > access the Internet?
> >
> > In theory I can see no reason why I cannot have two networks (and so share
> > files etc. across any computer on either network) but I'm not sure about
> > how to set up the visiting computer to connect to my computer over the
> > wireless link and then to the Router and so to the ADSL modem.

>
> It would be simpler to either change the current router for a wired one or
> to purchase a wireless access point.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-06-2007
if you already have a router running your lan all you need is a wireless
access point like the netgear wg602. you just plug it into a port on the
router and it provides the wireless access to the lan. they are easy to
configure and don't require a computer to be on to act as a bridge. one
access point can handle a bunch of wireless users, 8 to 32 at least so its
no problem with your machines plus guests.

"RodS" <(E-Mail Removed).(donotspam)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a (hard wired) LAN using a Router that is connected to my ADSL
>modem.
> This enables visitors to my home to plug into the socket in their bedroom.
> (OS is XP Professional SP2)
>
> However, some visitors only have wireless networking (indeed, I might even
> buy a laptop myself with wireless facilities). Can I buy a wireless router
> and plug it into a spare USB port on my computer to allow them to then
> "patch
> through" to my Router and so to the ADSL Modem to enable them to access
> the
> Internet?
>
> In theory I can see no reason why I cannot have two networks (and so share
> files etc. across any computer on either network) but I'm not sure about
> how
> to set up the visiting computer to connect to my computer over the
> wireless
> link and then to the Router and so to the ADSL modem.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> --
> RodS



 
Reply With Quote
 
Jack \(MVP-Networking\).
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-06-2007
Hi

It can be done, but it is Not very functional.

Connecting to a Wireless card attached to computer, means Ad-Hoc connection.
I.e. people that come to you will need to change their Wireless
configuration from the Normal Infrastructure configuration the Ad-Hoc (many
people do not know how, or and, do not want to "mess" around with their
configuration). In addition, you would need to bridge the connection, or
use ICS. Wireless tends to be less stable under such arrangement, and it
reduces your own security.

You might have your own reasons to do so, but objectively I cannot find any
good reason to pursue such a route.

In any case, if you decide to take the second Router approach you have two
options.

Option one, using the second Wireless Router as an Access Point,
http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html

Option two, creating a segregated Network for the Wireless,
http://www.ezlan.net/shield.html

Jack (MVP-Networking).

I can not find one good reason
"RodS" <(E-Mail Removed).(donotspam)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sorry Malke - the current Router is "wired" and connected to each computer
> via the LAN and also to an ADSL Modem. What I want to do is to connect a
> wireless Router to my "main" computer and thus allow a "visiting" computer
> with wireless facilities to connect to the Internet. I realise that this
> may
> mean that my main computer has to be switched on to act as a bridge
> between
> the two networks.
> --
> RodS
>
>
> "Malke" wrote:
>
>> donotspam wrote:
>>
>> > I have a (hard wired) LAN using a Router that is connected to my ADSL
>> > modem. This enables visitors to my home to plug into the socket in
>> > their
>> > bedroom. (OS is XP Professional SP2)
>> >
>> > However, some visitors only have wireless networking (indeed, I might
>> > even
>> > buy a laptop myself with wireless facilities). Can I buy a wireless
>> > router
>> > and plug it into a spare USB port on my computer to allow them to then
>> > "patch through" to my Router and so to the ADSL Modem to enable them to
>> > access the Internet?
>> >
>> > In theory I can see no reason why I cannot have two networks (and so
>> > share
>> > files etc. across any computer on either network) but I'm not sure
>> > about
>> > how to set up the visiting computer to connect to my computer over the
>> > wireless link and then to the Router and so to the ADSL modem.

>>
>> It would be simpler to either change the current router for a wired one
>> or
>> to purchase a wireless access point.
>>
>> Malke
>> --
>> Elephant Boy Computers
>> www.elephantboycomputers.com
>> "Don't Panic!"
>> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
>>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Malke
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-06-2007
donotspam wrote:

> Sorry Malke - the current Router is "wired" and connected to each computer
> via the LAN and also to an ADSL Modem. What I want to do is to connect a
> wireless Router to my "main" computer and thus allow a "visiting" computer
> with wireless facilities to connect to the Internet. I realise that this
> may mean that my main computer has to be switched on to act as a bridge
> between the two networks.


Yes, I understood your setup and that doesn't change my answer. Add a
wireless access point. That's the way my own network is set up; I have an
8-port wired router and a wireless access point. The access point is
connected to one of the router's lan ports. You're making this far more
complicated than it needs to be.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WE BUY used, new and refurbed Cisco, Lucent, Nortel, Alcatel, Sun,3com, IBM, HP, Compaq, Dell, Madge, Cabletron, Juniper Networks, Bintec,Siemens, Foundry, Networks, Extreme Networks, Fore/Marconi, TellabsLucent/Avaya/Ascend, Xylogics, Brocade, Int Mike Cisco 0 12-09-2007 09:43 PM
WE BUY used, new and refurbed Sun, Cisco, Lucent, Nortel, Alcatel,3com, IBM, HP, Compaq, Dell, Madge, Cabletron, Juniper Networks, Bintec,Siemens, Foundry, Networks, Extreme Networks, Fore/Marconi, TellabsLucent/Avaya/Ascend, Xylogics, Brocade, Int buyonet@hotmail.com Computer Information 0 11-18-2007 04:18 PM
We Buy and Sell New, Used, Refurbished and New Open Box Cisco Systems, Extreme Networks, F5 Networks and Compaq equipment at up to 90% off list! wwwired Cisco 1 11-13-2006 08:10 PM
We Buy and Sell New, Used, Refurbished and New Open Box Cisco Systems, Extreme Networks, F5 Networks and Compaq equipment at up to 90% off list! wwwired Cisco 0 10-31-2006 11:13 PM
We Buy and Sell New, Used, Refurbished and New Open Box Cisco Systems, Extreme Networks, F5 Networks and Compaq equipment at up to 90% off list! burke.bruce@gmail.com Cisco 1 10-16-2006 10:51 AM



Advertisments