Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Sharing Wifi over Ethernet on Win2K

Sharing Wifi over Ethernet on Win2K

joe.mccraw@gmail.com

Hello everyone.
I have an old win2k machine with a belkin wifi card and ethernet card
installed.
I would like to connect to the wifi and share it over ethernet.
I've gotten the machine online using the proprietary software, and
added incoming network connections, and when I check the properties it
looks like it should be assigning IPs via DHCP.
Is there some 3rd party(preferrably opensource) alternative to the
built-in windows 2k networking?
Thanks a Lot,
Joe

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi

You did Not describe the topology of your Network, and what in specific the
computer is supposed to connect to.

To obtain an IP through DHCP you need somewhere central on the Network a
DHCP server. If there is No DHCP server, static IP is the most common
solution.

You can use few protocols, and variety of 3rd party Network related
applications, but you cannot use other core Network instead of what provided
by the OS.

Belkin Wireless Card should work well with a computer that is running w2k.

This page has many articles concerning W2k networking,
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art...s/Windows_2000

Jack (MVP-Networking).

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hello everyone.
> I have an old win2k machine with a belkin wifi card and ethernet card
> installed.
> I would like to connect to the wifi and share it over ethernet.
> I've gotten the machine online using the proprietary software, and
> added incoming network connections, and when I check the properties it
> looks like it should be assigning IPs via DHCP.
> Is there some 3rd party(preferrably opensource) alternative to the
> built-in windows 2k networking?
> Thanks a Lot,
> Joe

joe.mccraw@gmail.com

Thanks a lot for the quick response! Here's what I want to accomplish:
I have a netgear wireless router attached to a cable modem that shares
wireless for the whole house.
In another room I have a few computers(linux boxes) that I would like
to get online, but can't access the wifi on their own.
I have a hub that connects them all via ethernet, and I usually use my
mac to share the wifi with the computers on the hub, but that machine
is down right now, and I have a win2k machine that I would like to
substitute in its place.
So the connection would end up looking like this
CABLE MODEM > WIFI ROUTER > WIFI WIN2K > WIN2K ETHERNET > ETHERNET HUB
> LINUX BOXES

I cant think of a way to textually visualize this any better, but
thanks for all the help so far.
-Joe

On Jan 5, 11:38 am, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi
>
> You did Not describe the topology of your Network, and what in specific the
> computer is supposed to connect to.
>
> To obtain an IP through DHCP you need somewhere central on the Network a
> DHCP server. If there is No DHCP server, static IP is the most common
> solution.
>
> You can use few protocols, and variety of 3rd party Network related
> applications, but you cannot use other core Network instead of what provided
> by the OS.
>
> Belkin Wireless Card should work well with a computer that is running w2k.
>
> This page has many articles concerning W2k networking,http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art...s/Windows_2000
>
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in messagenews:(E-Mail Removed) oglegroups.com...
>
> > Hello everyone.
> > I have an old win2k machine with a belkin wifi card and ethernet card
> > installed.
> > I would like to connect to the wifi and share it over ethernet.
> > I've gotten the machine online using the proprietary software, and
> > added incoming network connections, and when I check the properties it
> > looks like it should be assigning IPs via DHCP.
> > Is there some 3rd party(preferrably opensource) alternative to the
> > built-in windows 2k networking?
> > Thanks a Lot,
> > Joe

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
To connect this way you need second Routing between the Wireless Card to the
NIC on the W2k computer.
Unfortunately I am not aware of software Router that would work on w2k and
would Route to a Linux computer.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Thanks a lot for the quick response! Here's what I want to accomplish:
> I have a netgear wireless router attached to a cable modem that shares
> wireless for the whole house.
> In another room I have a few computers(linux boxes) that I would like
> to get online, but can't access the wifi on their own.
> I have a hub that connects them all via ethernet, and I usually use my
> mac to share the wifi with the computers on the hub, but that machine
> is down right now, and I have a win2k machine that I would like to
> substitute in its place.
> So the connection would end up looking like this
> CABLE MODEM > WIFI ROUTER > WIFI WIN2K > WIN2K ETHERNET > ETHERNET HUB
>> LINUX BOXES

> I cant think of a way to textually visualize this any better, but
> thanks for all the help so far.
> -Joe
>

> On Jan 5, 11:38 am, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> You did Not describe the topology of your Network, and what in specific
>> the
>> computer is supposed to connect to.
>>
>> To obtain an IP through DHCP you need somewhere central on the Network a
>> DHCP server. If there is No DHCP server, static IP is the most common
>> solution.
>>
>> You can use few protocols, and variety of 3rd party Network related
>> applications, but you cannot use other core Network instead of what
>> provided
>> by the OS.
>>
>> Belkin Wireless Card should work well with a computer that is running
>> w2k.
>>
>> This page has many articles concerning W2k
>> networking,http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art...s/Windows_2000
>>
>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> messagenews:(E-Mail Removed) oglegroups.com...
>>
>> > Hello everyone.
>> > I have an old win2k machine with a belkin wifi card and ethernet card
>> > installed.
>> > I would like to connect to the wifi and share it over ethernet.
>> > I've gotten the machine online using the proprietary software, and
>> > added incoming network connections, and when I check the properties it
>> > looks like it should be assigning IPs via DHCP.
>> > Is there some 3rd party(preferrably opensource) alternative to the
>> > built-in windows 2k networking?
>> > Thanks a Lot,
>> > Joe

David Hettel

If your wireless network is not using 192.168.0.xxx IP space you could
enable ICS on the Win2K machine, see:
http://www.homenethelp.com/ics/ics-install-arch.asp it should then work as
you want. One potential problem is the wireless card needs to be promiscuous
for this to work. Your Linux machines will need to be in DHCP client mode,
or statically configured to operate in 192.168.0.xxx space with a gateway &
DNS IP address of 192.168.0.1

--
David Hettel

E-mail or news groups.

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

no rights.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> To connect this way you need second Routing between the Wireless Card to
> the NIC on the W2k computer.
> Unfortunately I am not aware of software Router that would work on w2k and
> would Route to a Linux computer.
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>> Thanks a lot for the quick response! Here's what I want to accomplish:
>> I have a netgear wireless router attached to a cable modem that shares
>> wireless for the whole house.
>> In another room I have a few computers(linux boxes) that I would like
>> to get online, but can't access the wifi on their own.
>> I have a hub that connects them all via ethernet, and I usually use my
>> mac to share the wifi with the computers on the hub, but that machine
>> is down right now, and I have a win2k machine that I would like to
>> substitute in its place.
>> So the connection would end up looking like this
>> CABLE MODEM > WIFI ROUTER > WIFI WIN2K > WIN2K ETHERNET > ETHERNET HUB
>>> LINUX BOXES

>> I cant think of a way to textually visualize this any better, but
>> thanks for all the help so far.
>> -Joe
>>

>> On Jan 5, 11:38 am, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> You did Not describe the topology of your Network, and what in specific
>>> the
>>> computer is supposed to connect to.
>>>
>>> To obtain an IP through DHCP you need somewhere central on the Network a
>>> DHCP server. If there is No DHCP server, static IP is the most common
>>> solution.
>>>
>>> You can use few protocols, and variety of 3rd party Network related
>>> applications, but you cannot use other core Network instead of what
>>> provided
>>> by the OS.
>>>
>>> Belkin Wireless Card should work well with a computer that is running
>>> w2k.
>>>
>>> This page has many articles concerning W2k
>>> networking,http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art...s/Windows_2000
>>>
>>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>>
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> messagenews:(E-Mail Removed) oglegroups.com...

Axel Hammerschmidt

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Thanks a lot for the quick response! Here's what I want to accomplish:
> I have a netgear wireless router attached to a cable modem that shares
> wireless for the whole house.
> In another room I have a few computers(linux boxes) that I would like
> to get online, but can't access the wifi on their own.
> I have a hub that connects them all via ethernet, and I usually use my
> mac to share the wifi with the computers on the hub, but that machine
> is down right now, and I have a win2k machine that I would like to
> substitute in its place.
> So the connection would end up looking like this
> CABLE MODEM > WIFI ROUTER > WIFI WIN2K > WIN2K ETHERNET > ETHERNET HUB
> > LINUX BOXES

> I cant think of a way to textually visualize this any better, but
> thanks for all the help so far.

What is really happening when you are using your Mac for wireless
sharing, is ad hoc. So you may be able to do the same (wireless
bridging) using ad hoc with the Belkin software and Windows 2000's
internet connection sharing.