Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Does the Linksys WRE54G really work well?

Does the Linksys WRE54G really work well?

John Thomas Smith

Just moved into our new house and the main computer,
and Qwest modem with wireless, is in an office on the
first floor... but wife wants her laptop on the 2nd
floor, with no direct line of sight

Wireless connection at the laptop works, but signal
strength is "low" according to the monitor, so I'm
looking to buy a signal repeater

Does the Linksys WRE54G really work well?

TigerJohn aka
John Thomas Smith
Personal Page and CatInfo FAQ
http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith
Wife Approved & Named RedHeadedGirlfriend
http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/RedSeat.jpg

Direct 2 U Pond Emporium
Compare Our Pond Prices !!!
Pumps/Filters/Liner/Accessories
http://www.direct2usales.com

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
They work. Well is a relative term. Wireless is highly depending on the
environment and each environment has it own best solution.
This pages describe the common solution to Extent Wireless Network.
Wireless Router as an AP - http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
Hi Gain Antenna - http://www.ezlan.net/antennae.html
Wireless Bridging - http://www.ezlan.net/bridging
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"John Thomas Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just moved into our new house and the main computer,
> and Qwest modem with wireless, is in an office on the
> first floor... but wife wants her laptop on the 2nd
> floor, with no direct line of sight
>
> Wireless connection at the laptop works, but signal
> strength is "low" according to the monitor, so I'm
> looking to buy a signal repeater
>
> Does the Linksys WRE54G really work well?
>
> TigerJohn aka
> John Thomas Smith
> Personal Page and CatInfo FAQ
> http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith
> Wife Approved & Named RedHeadedGirlfriend
> http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/RedSeat.jpg
>
> Direct 2 U Pond Emporium
> Compare Our Pond Prices !!!
> Pumps/Filters/Liner/Accessories
> http://www.direct2usales.com

Ted

To get away from wireless problems I switched to powerline ethernet. Been a
couple of years now and not a hitch. Works just like a wired connection.
Here's some at NewEgg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...&Go.x=0&Go.y=0
Ted

"John Thomas Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just moved into our new house and the main computer,
> and Qwest modem with wireless, is in an office on the
> first floor... but wife wants her laptop on the 2nd
> floor, with no direct line of sight
>
> Wireless connection at the laptop works, but signal
> strength is "low" according to the monitor, so I'm
> looking to buy a signal repeater
>
> Does the Linksys WRE54G really work well?
>
> TigerJohn aka
> John Thomas Smith
> Personal Page and CatInfo FAQ
> http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith
> Wife Approved & Named RedHeadedGirlfriend
> http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/RedSeat.jpg
>
> Direct 2 U Pond Emporium
> Compare Our Pond Prices !!!
> Pumps/Filters/Liner/Accessories
> http://www.direct2usales.com

John Thomas Smith

On Wed, 3 Jan 2007 00:08:29 -0500, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>They work. Well is a relative term
>Extending Distance - http://www.ezlan.net/Distance.html

Hmm... the product description I read at Linksys did NOT mention
(at least that I saw) the fact that while the signal strength is
going to go up to outlying stations, the signal speed is going
to be cut in half due to the two way communication needed

Since the 2nd floor laptop DOES work in spite of the monitor's
note about "low" signal strength, I think I will pass for now

John

John Thomas Smith

On Wed, 3 Jan 2007 04:06:59 -0600, "Ted" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>To get away from wireless problems I switched to powerline ethernet. Been a
>couple of years now and not a hitch. Works just like a wired connection.
>Here's some at NewEgg
>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

Now that I know that a wireless repeater cuts the speed in half, I
will take a look at these and decide if I need one

But... the laptop's wireless connection DOES work in spite of the
monitor showing "low" signal strength... so for now (and considering
the low rate of the wife actually using the laptop upstairs, at
least right now while we are still settling into the new house) I
may just keep the link you provided and not buy anything... and go
looking for the best PAIR of adapters to go in the office and up at
the desk on the 2nd floor only if she has connection problems

Thanks for the input... John