Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > network is seen but wont connect

network is seen but wont connect

justintime

I have an IBM Thinkpad T23 laptop running XP Pro SP2 Last night I re set
my swap file on my laptop to 768mb and I set the visual preference to
best performance. Nothing else.

After a reboot I saw that my network was not connecting. Normally it
connects automatically. So I clicked on it and it had found the network
but when I clicked connect. It would not connect. It just says
connecting until it says, can't connect. Then goes back to wireless
network found select one and click connect.
If I look at my network connections I have 2. Wireless Network
connection 4 Intel Pro 2200BG, Wireless connection unavalible with a red
X and Local area connection. Intel Pro/100 VE Network, Network Cable
unplugged. With a red X.
If I right click Wireless Network connection 4 it says View network
connections, If I click that it brings up a box "Connect To Wireless
network" But everything except cancel is grayed out.
Local area Connection properties shows"
Client Services, Client for Microsoft Networks, File and Printer
Sharing, Qos Packet Scheduling, NWLink Net Bios, NWLink IPX/NetBios bla, bla
Network Monitor driver
Microsoft TC/IP Version 6
Intel Advanced Network Service Protocol
Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
all checked.

Not being the brightest bulb for networks, I tried a system restore to
the last check point. Didn't help. Then I tried a Win XP repair, Didn't
help. I have network stumbler and it shows the network adapters as
2200B/G Prism 2 and Ndis 5.1 but will only connect on NDIS 5.1. I also
tried a pcmcia wifi card and it works with Network stumbler but doesn't
connect to the network on the laptop either.

So here I set without being able to get the network to work and I don't
know what to do from here. I suspect its a Windows problem but surely
don't want to do a complete re install of XP.
Can somebody help me PLEASE?

Thank you

Lem

justintime wrote:

> I have an IBM Thinkpad T23 laptop running XP Pro SP2 Last night I re set
> my swap file on my laptop to 768mb and I set the visual preference to
> best performance. Nothing else.
>
> After a reboot I saw that my network was not connecting. Normally it
> connects automatically. So I clicked on it and it had found the network
> but when I clicked connect. It would not connect. It just says
> connecting until it says, can't connect. Then goes back to wireless
> network found select one and click connect.
> If I look at my network connections I have 2. Wireless Network
> connection 4 Intel Pro 2200BG, Wireless connection unavalible with a red
> X and Local area connection. Intel Pro/100 VE Network, Network Cable
> unplugged. With a red X.
> If I right click Wireless Network connection 4 it says View network
> connections, If I click that it brings up a box "Connect To Wireless
> network" But everything except cancel is grayed out.
> Local area Connection properties shows"
> Client Services, Client for Microsoft Networks, File and Printer
> Sharing, Qos Packet Scheduling, NWLink Net Bios, NWLink IPX/NetBios bla,
> bla
> Network Monitor driver
> Microsoft TC/IP Version 6
> Intel Advanced Network Service Protocol
> Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
> all checked.
>
> Not being the brightest bulb for networks, I tried a system restore to
> the last check point. Didn't help. Then I tried a Win XP repair, Didn't
> help. I have network stumbler and it shows the network adapters as
> 2200B/G Prism 2 and Ndis 5.1 but will only connect on NDIS 5.1. I also
> tried a pcmcia wifi card and it works with Network stumbler but doesn't
> connect to the network on the laptop either.
>
> So here I set without being able to get the network to work and I don't
> know what to do from here. I suspect its a Windows problem but surely
> don't want to do a complete re install of XP.
> Can somebody help me PLEASE?
>
> Thank you

Your "Local Area Connection" refers to the Ethernet network adapter.
This has nothing to do with your wireless network adapter, although
unless you connect your laptop with an Ethernet cable to your company's
network (or similar), there are a whole lot of things that shouldn't be
there. And even if you do connect to such a network, the collection of
installed services looks peculiar. But all of that is a different issue.

What kind of wireless network are you trying to connect to? (That is, is
it one that you set up with a wireless router or something else?)

Double click on the icon for "Wireless Network connection 4" (I guess
you had some issues in configuring your wireless setup in the first
place). You should get a "Wireless Network Status" dialog box that
looks like this:
http://screenshots.modemhelp.net/scr.../General.shtml
Click on the "View Wireless Networks" button. Do you get a screen that
looks like this, which displays the available wireless networks:
http://screenshots.modemhelp.net/scr...ks/Index.shtml
Can you select your network and click "Connect"? What happens?

Close the window. Go back to Network Connections, double click the
Wireless Network Connect 4" icon and this time click the "Properties"
button. You should see a window under the heading "This connection uses
the following items." If you have any "items" in this windows EXCEPT
"Client for Microsoft Networks," "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft
Networks," "QoS Packet Scheduler," and "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" post
back with the list of extra items.

While you are at this dialog box, highlight the entry for "Internet
Protocol (TCP/IP)" and click the Properties button. You should see a
diaklog box like this:
http://screenshots.modemhelp.net/scr...Auto_DNS.shtml
Are the buttons to obtain IP and DNS addresses automatically set, or are
IP and DNS addresses specified? If the latter, post the info for IP and
DNS addresses.

Cancel out of the dialog and return to the "Wireless Network Connection
4 Properties" box. Click the tab for "Wireless Networks." You should
see this:
http://screenshots.modemhelp.net/scr...ks/Index.shtml
If there is anything listed under "Preferred networks" that you don't
recognize as a wireless network that you want to connect to, select the
item and delete it. If there is more than one wireless network listed
under "Preferred networks" select the one you want most to connect to
and use the "Move up" button to get it to the top of the list.

With your desired wireless network selected, click "Properties". The
dialog box that opens is where you set the encryption key for your
wireless network. If you use WEP incryption, be sure to enter the HEX
value of the key, and not the alphanumeric password. Click on the
"Authentication" tab and make sure that the box next to "Enable IEEE
802.11x authentication for this network" is NOT checked. Click on the
"Connection" tab and make sure that the box to "connect when this
network is in range" IS checked. OK your way out.

If the above doesn't solve your problem, post back answering ALL of the
various questions and explain how what you see differs from the various
screen shots. Remember, we can't see what is displayed on your monitor.

--
Lem MS MVP -- Networking

Lem

justintime wrote:
> [...]

> only one network Linksys
>

>> With your desired wireless network selected, click "Properties". The
>> dialog box that opens is where you set the encryption key for your
>> wireless network. If you use WEP incryption, be sure to enter the HEX
>> value of the key, and not the alphanumeric password. Click on the
>> "Authentication" tab and make sure that the box next to "Enable IEEE
>> 802.11x authentication for this network" is NOT checked. Click on the
>> "Connection" tab and make sure that the box to "connect when this
>> network is in range" IS checked. OK your way out.
>>

> With the screen I get I have to select advanced and authentication is
> grayed out, nothing selected.
>
>> If the above doesn't solve your problem, post back answering ALL of
>> the various questions and explain how what you see differs from the
>> various screen shots. Remember, we can't see what is displayed on

I'm not sure what to tell you.

It appears to me as if you have a utility other than the Windows XP
service pack 2 native "Wireless Zero Configuration" utility controlling
your wireless adapter, but I don't recognize the screen shot you
attached as coming from either the Intel ProSet configuration utility or
the IBM ThinkVantage Access Connections utility. Using Task Manager,
look at the running processes and identify any that appear to be related
to managing your wireless adapter. You may have to use Google to
identify some of the process names. This page may help:
http://www.answersthatwork.com/Taskl...s/tasklist.htm

Take a look as this Microsoft article:
The very first screenshot in that article should be reachable by
right-clicking on the icon for your wireless adapter in Network
Connections and selecting Properties from the popup context menu. You
should get a Properties dialog box with 3 tabs. The screenshot shows
the dialog box with the middle tab (wireless networks) selected.

If you can get to this page, take a look at the box next to "Use Windows
to configure my wireless settings." If the box is checked, then Windows
will attempt to use WZC to manage the connection. If there is also
another utility attempting to manage the connection at the same time,
you will run into problems. Most, but not all, wireless configuration
utilities check to see if Windows us controlling the connection. Scroll
down in the article until you see the heading "Messages in the
notification area." Do you have an icon in the notification area that
looks like the 2-monitor icon shown in the article? Hover your mouse
over the other icons in the notification area (and/or click and/or right
click them). Do any others look like they are related to the wireless
connection? What are they? In addition to the check box, you can
enable or disable WZC as shown here: http://www.ezlan.net/wzc.html

You are apparently able to get to the "General" tab of the wireless
connection properties dialog box even if you can't see the "wireless
networks" tab:
http://screenshots.modemhelp.net/scr...Index--2.shtml
The "general" tab shows the list of protocols and other items used by
the connection. Several of the items you list relate to Novell
networks, and you should not need them in order to connect to a Linksys
home router: Service advertising protocol, NWLink NetBios, NWLink
IPX/SPX/NetBios Compatable Transport Microsoft Protocol.
In addition, you do not need and should delete TCP/IP version 6.

Without any guarantees, this is what I would do:

1. Make sure only one wireless network configuration utility is active.
2. Create a Restore Point.
3. Delete (remove) all of the following from the list of items
associated with your wireless network connection:
Service advertising protocol
NWLink NetBios
NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBios Compatable Transport Microsoft Protocol
TCP/IP version 6
4. Confirm that you still have the following 4 items for your wireless
network connection:
Client for Microsoft Networks
File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
QoS Packet Scheduler
Internet Protocol(TCP/IP)
5. Reboot.

6. Click your heels together 3 times and think thoughts of home.

Good luck.

--
Lem MS MVP -- Networking

justintime

Lem wrote:
> [...]

> In addition, you do not need and should delete TCP/IP version 6.
>
> Without any guarantees, this is what I would do:
>
> 1. Make sure only one wireless network configuration utility is active.
> 2. Create a Restore Point.
> 3. Delete (remove) all of the following from the list of items
> associated with your wireless network connection:
> Service advertising protocol
> NWLink NetBios
> NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBios Compatable Transport Microsoft Protocol
> TCP/IP version 6
> 4. Confirm that you still have the following 4 items for your wireless
> network connection:
> Client for Microsoft Networks
> File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
> QoS Packet Scheduler
> Internet Protocol(TCP/IP)
> 5. Reboot.
>
> 6. Click your heels together 3 times and think thoughts of home.

Lem:
I deleted the extra stuff and unchecked let windows control the
connection. I got the connection finally to the internet but cant
connect to any other computer, although the other computers can see this
one but the shared folder is not available and c drive is. (strange).
Also there are some other problems. I never get the proper screens and
when I go to the control panel and click wireless setup wizard, I get
errors. Kernel32.dll (The entry point GetProcessId could not be located
in the dynamic link library) if I click ok, I get Error loading
wzcdlg.dll The specific procedure could not be found. Nothing after that.
Further if I right click on the network Icon in the task bar and click
view wireless networks I get Windows Explorer encounterd a problem and
needs to shut down. Modules, Explorer, NtDll, kernel32.dll, msvcrt.dll,
Rpcrt4.dll, advapi32.dll, GDI32.dll, USER32.dll, Shlwapi.dll,
shell32.dll, ole32.dll, up to Module 71
So it appears that XP is hosed.

Thank you

Larry

Lem

justintime wrote:
> [...]

> connection. I got the connection finally to the internet but cant
> connect to any other computer, although the other computers can see this
> one but the shared folder is not available and c drive is. (strange).
> Also there are some other problems. I never get the proper screens and
> when I go to the control panel and click wireless setup wizard, I get
> errors. Kernel32.dll (The entry point GetProcessId could not be located
> in the dynamic link library) if I click ok, I get Error loading
> wzcdlg.dll The specific procedure could not be found. Nothing after that.
> Further if I right click on the network Icon in the task bar and click
> view wireless networks I get Windows Explorer encounterd a problem and
> needs to shut down. Modules, Explorer, NtDll, kernel32.dll, msvcrt.dll,
> Rpcrt4.dll, advapi32.dll, GDI32.dll, USER32.dll, Shlwapi.dll,

When you can get to the Internet but have difficulty accessing other
computers on the LAN, the problem usually is an overlooked and/or
misconfigured firewall. This includes apps like Norton AntiVirus with
its "Internet Worm Protection." I've copied/pasted advice re this from
MVP Malke below following the heading <common networking problems>

Before you attempt to repair WinXP, make sure your system is malware
free. Here's some more excellent advice from Malke:

Finally, after you're sure your system is clean -- and your important
data backed up -- you can do a "repair install". If all goes well, your
apps and data will remain intact. But do back up first, just in case.
And be sure to visit Windows Update first thing after the Repair
Install. http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

<common networking problems>
This is most commonly caused by a misconfigured firewall. Run the
Network Setup Wizard on all computers, making sure to enable File &
Printer Sharing, and reboot. The only "gotcha" is that this will turn
on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a third-party
firewall or have an antivirus with "Internet Worm Protection" (like
Norton 2005/06) which acts as a firewall, then you're fine. If you have
third-party firewall software, configure it to allow the Local Area
Network traffic as trusted. I usually do this with my firewalls with an
IP range. Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. Obviously you would
substitute your correct subnet.

If one or more of the computers is XP Pro:

accounts/passwords on all computers.

b. If you don't care about using Pro's advanced features, leave the
Simple File Sharing enabled.

resources. This is a security hole but only you can decide if it
matters in your situation.

Shared Documents folder.

If that doesn't work for you, here is an excellent network
troubleshooter by MVP Hans-Georg Michna. Take the time to go through it
and it will usually pinpoint the problem area(s) -
http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

--
Lem MS MVP -- Networking

justintime

Lem wrote:
> [...]

> accounts/passwords on all computers.
>
> b. If you don't care about using Pro's advanced features, leave the
> Simple File Sharing enabled.
>
> Simple File Sharing means that Guest (network) is enabled. This means
> that anyone without a user account on the target system can use its
> resources. This is a security hole but only you can decide if it
> matters in your situation.
>
> Then create shares as desired. XP Home does not permit sharing of users'
> home directories (My Documents) or Program Files, but you can share
> folders inside those directories. A better choice is to simply use the
> Shared Documents folder.
>
> If that doesn't work for you, here is an excellent network
> troubleshooter by MVP Hans-Georg Michna. Take the time to go through it
> and it will usually pinpoint the problem area(s) -

Lem:
Thank you, you have been more than helpful and knowledgeable. I
really appreciate you taking the time.

Thank you

Larry

Lem

YW. I hope you get things sorted out.

--
Lem MS MVP -- Networking

=?Utf-8?B?QW5kcmUgUmVlZA==?=

Hi there,

i am trying to setup a wireless network with 2 computers. 1 computer
running xp and the other vista.
to make things more difficult I am not in front of these computer and trying
to walk a friend thru this process over the phone who is not very computer
savy. I have setup home networks on xp before (not sure when i did them then
if they were setup perfect as the networking sharing was slow) anyways can
some one tell me if there is a walk thru available or what i should be doing
to make these connect. My last attempt yesterday on the vista system said
that it recognizes that there is a network but could not connect maybe
because of a firewall. I turned off the firewall on the xp system but it
still could not connect. I am not sure where the hickup is. Can someone
please advise or point me to a walk thru.
thank you